St James' Park

Delima

Just now, madras said:

Philistine.

It’s a dirty rotten pub that hasn’t seen a duster in decades that wouldn’t get so much as a look in for customers if it wasn’t located where it is.

The owner is an absolute dick and a constant liar as well.

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It’s a dirty rotten pub that hasn’t seen a duster in decades that wouldn’t get so much as a look in for customers if it wasn’t located where it is.

Don't know the owner so can't comment but it's an OK pub with decent beer. Also getting a styudenty clientele on non match days. There's plenty worse.

Edited by madras

36 minutes ago, Orphanage said:

IMG_3994.thumb.jpeg.b1f23bf3729c9f0914a275bda799ec59.jpeg

IMG_3995.jpegStick 4 huge ( as high as the stadium ) statues on the corners ( Sir Bobby , Sir Kev and Supermac and Shearer . Jobs a good un 

Sir Bobby, Special KK, Wor Jackie and Joe Harvey. 

On 08/10/2023 at 12:22, manorpark said:

I thought you were talking about St James' Park!

Were you talking about the Metro?

West Newcastle was always the extension Tyne & Wear PTE wanted the most, but from day one it was dismissed as it was too expensive - sadly !!

Metro Extensions - Fantasy.png

Only just catching up on all this and I know it'll never happen, but fucking hell would the Red Line make my life 100x easier. :lol:

On 16/10/2023 at 21:15, Stifler said:

I think I know who you mean. I asked him a simple question about the development around the pub and you think I'd asked him if I could fuck his mother and wipe my cock on the curtains

Apart from that it's a decent boozer. Never even attempt to get in the cunt on a match day 

On 16/10/2023 at 22:35, Whitley mag said:

This was Stamford Bridges planned redevelopment which some might consider ugly, but interesting how that type of stadium design allows for a smaller footprint on certain sides

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/chelsea-rekindles-1bn-stadium-plan-with-offer-to-purchase-land-19-12-2022/

Have you seen the bondibot video for the 3 possible old Trafford redevelopment? There's one where they just leave the height of the smaller stand, increase the huge one opposite but then have a huge curved roof that sweeps down. Thought it was magical until I got the image of a bent toilet seat 

5 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I think I know who you mean. I asked him a simple question about the development around the pub and you think I'd asked him if I could fuck his mother and wipe my cock on the curtains

Apart from that it's a decent boozer. Never even attempt to get in the cunt on a match day 

He was asked about the developments around the pub by the councils planning committee and he went on record saying he was in favour of it. Of course he would be, he’s got a few hundred people on his doorstep ready to serve on non-match days. Anyone would be in favour.

The problem is a lot of fans thought the Strawberry is sacred and developing around it was sacrilege. They also confused that development with the development that would prevent the Gallowgate expansion. So he in turn started saying on social media that he was against it. I pointed out that it was the opposite of what he said, he pretty much called me a liar. I then linked the planning document back to him and showed the screenshot. Unsurprisingly he never disputed that.

Probably blocked me to be fair.

6 hours ago, Stifler said:

He was asked about the developments around the pub by the councils planning committee and he went on record saying he was in favour of it. Of course he would be, he’s got a few hundred people on his doorstep ready to serve on non-match days. Anyone would be in favour.

The problem is a lot of fans thought the Strawberry is sacred and developing around it was sacrilege. They also confused that development with the development that would prevent the Gallowgate expansion. So he in turn started saying on social media that he was against it. I pointed out that it was the opposite of what he said, he pretty much called me a liar. I then linked the planning document back to him and showed the screenshot. Unsurprisingly he never disputed that.

Probably blocked me to be fair.

Sounds like a proper dick mate 

On 16/10/2023 at 23:22, HaydnNUFC said:

Only just catching up on all this and I know it'll never happen, but fucking hell would the Red Line make my life 100x easier. :lol:

Really? For CLS? You’ve the 21 that runs every 8-10mins for most of the day and a night service. How much easier do you want 😆

On 08/10/2023 at 12:22, manorpark said:

I thought you were talking about St James' Park!

Were you talking about the Metro?

West Newcastle was always the extension Tyne & Wear PTE wanted the most, but from day one it was dismissed as it was too expensive - sadly !!

Metro Extensions - Fantasy.png

This would be incredible. I’m aware that there are plans underway with a railway line that would connect to Northumberland Park from Blyth. It wouldn’t be a metro line as such but because it would connect to the metro line it would greatly improve transport in that area. Are any of the other extensions under proposal or have they all been deemed impractical / too expensive? Thank you 

The Northumberland Line is more than just planned - the line works are more or less done and all stations are all under construction. Due to run from summer next year although you wouldn't be surprised if there were more delays. 

Stops will be:

Central

Manors

Northumberland Park

Seaton Delaval

Bedlington

Newsham

Bebside 

Ashington

That map is not really proposals, just somebody's little dreamscape. The most regularly discussed one is that is shown as the green line loop on there from South Hylton proposing to reinstate the old Leamside Line. However if it ever did come forward I think it would be more likely as heavy rail in part to help alleviate freight capacity on the ECML. 

Light rail needs the population density to justify it. I just don't see that on the Leamside route personally. Washington is just too sprawling to really justify it unless you significantly changed its urban layout and densified around certain stations. The same is true for much of the Sunderland extension anyway - the stations are generally significantly less used than the yellow line. 

Same also goes for the Tyne Valley. It's perfectly suitable as a heavy rail route across the country to connect with Carlisle and should really be electrified - but it's not really a suitable metro extension.

The one area which would benefit from a metro extension the most would be the West End of the city - but that will always be too expensive because it would requiring digging tunnels.

Edited by ponsaelius

21 minutes ago, gbandit said:

This would be incredible. I’m aware that there are plans underway with a railway line that would connect to Northumberland Park from Blyth. It wouldn’t be a metro line as such but because it would connect to the metro line it would greatly improve transport in that area. Are any of the other extensions under proposal or have they all been deemed impractical / too expensive? Thank you 

Yeah, due to open next year, most track work is done now, they are just building the stations and sorting out the crossings.

The most talked about line is the Leamside Line which is gaining a lot of support by Jamie Driscoll, so much so that he is on the verge of it becoming his top promise if he gets the new North East mayor job.

However he hasn’t been clear on what he wants from it. I find it difficult to see Nexus wanting to share track in it with heavy trains, freight trains. However the only real proposal made by any authority is the one by Nexus where they would hope to link up South Hylton with Pelaw. The problem is that just that section wouldn’t hit any real residential areas and would go behind Patterson industrial estate in Washington where they are pretty much building over the original track bed.

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Yeah, due to open next year, most track work is done now, they are just building the stations and sorting out the crossings.

The most talked about line is the Leamside Line which is gaining a lot of support by Jamie Driscoll, so much so that he is on the verge of it becoming his top promise if he gets the new North East mayor job.

However he hasn’t been clear on what he wants from it. I find it difficult to see Nexus wanting to share track in it with heavy trains, freight trains. However the only real proposal made by any authority is the one by Nexus where they would hope to link up South Hylton with Pelaw. The problem is that just that section wouldn’t hit any real residential areas and would go behind Patterson industrial estate in Washington where they are pretty much building over the original track bed.

I live in Washington and you have no idea how welcome the opening of Leamside Line would be, even if the stops were at Peel and Fatfield. It would make such a difference. 

I agree it would be great, I just don't think the economics of it would ever stack up. In a country that put infrastructure in place, and then planned resi/commercial development around said infrastructure, then yes. It would possibly be viable long term. 

One of the big issues with all transport planning is land use. We can all cry about public transport being a public good (and I personally think it is) but in reality you can't throw good money after bad on services that won't come close to washing their own backs. The Tyne Nd Wear Metro system is a case in point - loads of stations are surrounded by industrial uses, green belt land, low density housing. And then we wonder why the service is crap or doesn't make enough money to look after itself. Half the stations get barely any use. We should be putting high density, mixed use development around all existing light and heavy rail stations. Even if they're currently a green field. Instead you get rubbish like the site was approved recently near Chillingham Road metro.

If the Leamside line was to be reinstated then it shouldn’t be for metro imo. 

It should be reopened for mixed passenger and freight use, this will free up capacity on the ECML and give a strategic diversionary route. 

There’ll be a scheme in the next couple of years to relock the Pelaw area (which was missed under the EC resignalling in the 80’s and outside of Sunderland Direct, my prediction is that the asset to the Leamside will be formally abandoned (temporary in place to 2027 currently) however the data will be put into the new interlocking for future development. 

6 hours ago, LFEE said:

Really? For CLS? You’ve the 21 that runs every 8-10mins for most of the day and a night service. How much easier do you want 😆

Not on mornings it doesn't (when I need it), and the night service is only Friday and Saturday nights. Plus with the Go North East strikes those may as well not exist. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC