St James' Park

Delima

50 minutes ago, Disco said:

People would be throwing spears at the Metro if it rocked up in Prudhoe mind. 

*puts on best Kenneth Clark accent*

‘It was in that epoch of Metro expansion that the tribe from Prudda, known as the Pruddaese, were so taken against the mechanised carriages - which represented a sensibility with which the simple architecture of their tribal buildings would clash - that they would unleash spears, javelins, and let loose arrows at these great symbols of a modern age when they would invade their atavistic homesteads’

For some reason where we go in (L7) there's 4 turnstiles, 2 by 2 facing each other, there's always massive queues at 3 and about a dozen people at the other, not always the same one. I ask people in the queue what turnstiles are on their ticket and its always the 4 turnstiles. I can't understand why 1 is always a much shorter queue.

The whole thing around getting people into the ground is terrible.

There's no flow control in the Gallowgate so you have people queueing for the strawberry turnstiles while people are also need to get past for the main gallowgate stand turnstiles and it almost went into a crush yesterday.

The issue with the new tickets is it's slower to register the ticket to the turnstile, so let's say 2-3 seconds slower x 52k and you can see why the queues are bad.

Edited by El Prontonise

11 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

The whole thing around getting people into the ground is terrible.

There's no flow control in the Gallowgate so you have people queueing for the strawberry turnstiles while people are also need to get past for the main gallowgate stand turnstiles and it almost went into a crush yesterday.

The issue with the new tickets is it's slower to register the ticket to the turnstile, so let's say 2-3 seconds slower x 52k and you can see why the queues are bad.

It’s potentially dangerous, either through the crush it creates or people losing their rag and kicking off

Its also stifling the atmosphere in the ground before the game, most people are waiting a minimum of 10-15 mins to get in so pre-match enthusiasm is tempered by everyone having to stand around in a crush moaning about how shit the entry system is 

The massive queues are the same all the way down the East Stand and round the Gallowgate Corner and it’s not improved since the start of season 

Part (not all obviously) of the problem is most people still turn up in last half hour before ko. 

I totally get that people might not want to be in the ground prior to that. The concourses aren’t particularly welcoming, the beer’s a bit shit, and a whole other load of perfectly acceptable reasons.

But the fact is if you look at the PSG, where everybody made sure they turned up early, there seemed to be far, far less issues with queuing.

We can moan on and say, they shouldn’t have changed what worked previously or whatever, but they have, and they won’t be going back, so we’ve just got to get on with it.

PSG showed if everybody (where possible) gets there a bit early, it becomes much less of an issue.

Edited by SteV

I can’t think of a single reason to turn up pre kickoff. 
mother than worflags and hey ho let’s go.

Everything else is absolutely paint dry shite.

The food is a perfect example of overpriced shite.

Drinks are overpriced piss.

It is pre match horror. 

Half time is a disgrace as well mind.

15 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

I can’t think of a single reason to turn up pre kickoff. 
mother than worflags and hey ho let’s go.

Everything else is absolutely paint dry shite.

The food is a perfect example of overpriced shite.

Drinks are overpriced piss.

It is pre match horror. 

Half time is a disgrace as well mind.

To not have to stand in a massive queue to get in?

1 hour ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Got in quarter to yesterday. Scanned three tickets. All green ticks and in.

Not a pick of bother

Compared to the East Stand & Gallowgate about 30 mins before kick off when thousands of frustrated people are crushed together taking ages to get through turnstiles 

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 hour ago, Sima said:

Not entirely sure but outside of L7 and corporate you possibly can use any turnstile to get into the ground.

I’ve often wondered about this. I’ve heard people say it, but never actually tried it.

My ticket says 17-18 and 31-32, which I’ve always found a bit random. Nearly always use 17-18 but used 31-32 yesterday and there was zero queue at about 2:20pm.

• 2 weeks later...

The MD of Populous, the company who designed Spurs stadium amongst others:

You would end up with some really interesting bowls and I think that’s the bit where you could start to get really nuanced and create something with genuine authenticity because it’s driven by those constraints rather than the whims of an architect.

“We haven’t done the analysis yet but you could definitely expand. It’s a really interesting challenge. The East Stand is the obvious expansion, it’s where you’d want to expand as well. But you may well end up with a situation like we did at the Aviva where there’s a tiny North Stand because it was the only way we could get the rights to light for the stands to the north.

“Even with those constraints you could comfortably go above 60,000, which is something you’d want to do because there is clearly demand for it.”