St James' Park

Delima

We could be really ambitious and build a new stadium over the train lines at central station, like they've done in Chicago and New York. 

Could we not build a marshmallow 72,000 seater stadium on blyth beach ?

ideas 

Fire breathing dragons serving sushi to tourists.

Local blyth residents to dress up as clowns to sell match day programmes.

Pitch made from basil 🌿 

Free entry for dentists and yoga teachers.

Charge £1000 a seat to all Tory Voters

Kids to get in for 7p if accompanied with a war hero 

Stadium could double up as a bouncy castle through the week for some sweet FFP gains.

48 minutes ago, NG32 said:

We could be really ambitious and build a new stadium over the train lines at central station, like they've done in Chicago and New York. 

Aye, just incorporate the train station into the ground. From the train to your seat in five minutes. 

8 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Aye, just incorporate the train station into the ground. From the train to your seat in five minutes. 

Or go big and construct a new stadium in the north sea thats also and oil platform. 

1 hour ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Can't wait for people trying to board at Durham with 15 minutes to kick off.

The Town Moor actually is shit by the way. It's a waste of prime urban centre real estate while the city sprawls out west. It has limited biodiversity value. It is not a natural landscape, but also has limited recreation function. It doesn't even have many trees on it as this affects its use as grazing land, all the while the city is crying out for an actual 'green lung'.

Its single point of value is that it is unique and a bit weird. But it unique because it's such a monumentally ridiculous use of land that is not equivalent probably to any other city on earth. 

Edited by ponsaelius

We have some great points and views made by some posters on here on many aspects regarding our city. Shame that the actual decision makers in power may not be on the same wavelength as us though.

19 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

The Town Moor actually is shit by the way. It's a waste of prime urban centre real estate while the city sprawls out west. It has limited biodiversity value. It is not a natural landscape, but also has limited recreation function. It doesn't even have many trees on it as this affects its use as grazing land, all the while the city is crying out for an actual 'green lung'.

Its single point of value is that it is unique and a bit weird. But it unique because it's such a monumentally ridiculous use of land that is not equivalent probably to any other city on earth. 

Totally agree with its grazing use rather than what it should be - wooded park land.

I would never want to see it have housing or owt slapped on it, though - let alone a football stadium.  Castle Leazes would be fine - not the Moor

I would happily lose it to a new stadium but it would not fulfil the essential City Centre criteria so non starter for me. Out of interest what's the distinction you draw between the green area of Castle Leazes and the Town Moor? Or Nuns or Hunters for that matter? All just weird and fairly worthless fields in the middle of houses, to me

Would also happily move the Hoppings rivet by rivet to Beamish 

Edited by OpenC

20 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Totally agree with its grazing use rather than what it should be - wooded park land.

Should be a forest with dedicated trails.

one for walkers/runners
one for dog walkers
and one for bicycles.

our city is soo boring apart from  Jesmond Dene

btw civic centre to spital tongues used to be like Jesmond dene it was called Pandon Dean

Civic centre, hancock museam etc would all be in this painting and this map.
H12923-col-low-cop21.thumb.jpg.c32e99b9d6640f945ca8f8396fd95159.jpgbeilby-barras-bridge-pandon-dene-A1.thumb.jpg.52111c96a8e6a183e8d4933b14514cc6.jpg

now its all flatt and boring, you would never know it used to be a naturally stunning site, if only the freemens cows could graze in water and steep banks :/

Edited by Arknor

8 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I would happily lose it to a new stadium but it would not fulfil the essential City Centre criteria so non starter for me. Out of interest what's the distinction you draw between the green area of Castle Leazes and the Town Moor? Or Nuns or Hunters for that matter? All just weird and fairly worthless fields in the middle of houses, to me

Would also happily move the Hoppings rivet by rivet to Beamish 

For me, the Moor has that unbroken expanse that Castle Leazes doesn’t - though it’s a reasonable point you raise.  

I bastard hate the Hoppings, so I’d do that too - though that might be because I’m a curmudgeon at heart.

I’m enjoying all this chat about the town moor. Irrespective of anything related to the club, is there any hope that the moor(s) will ever be anything other than wild grassland?

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I’m enjoying all this chat about the town moor. Irrespective of anything related to the club, is there any hope that the moor(s) will ever be anything other than wild grassland?

I’d be amazed if anything ever happened to it, there’d be massive uproar. And to be fair I wouldn’t want to see that area built on. 

7 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I’d be amazed if anything ever happened to it, there’d be massive uproar. And to be fair I wouldn’t want to see that area built on. 

I do love green spaces and I also like the fact it’s so odd but the amount of footfall it must get will be tiny compared with what it could be. I wouldn’t want to see it no longer being a wildlife area but it does feel a big waste in its current format. I’m saying that as a person though, I’m sure the cows and other animals love it and it’s their world too 

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

with the quality of councillors and Mps we get?

Remember during covid when green spaces and well being wa ssooo important and people thought maybe life would change for the better? all of that optimism disappeared as quickly as covid did.

BTW if you werent aware  the council wanted to do this to the green space outside of eldon square
OldEldonSquareConceptVisual.thumb.jpg.56fe270d1278458655c6b36abf4d7ebe.jpg

saves money on cutting the grass no doubt... all our council cares about is sterilizing the city to save money.
Don't worry about "green spaces" being too protected for a stadium, cos the council would likely go for it.
if it were  a piece of land they spent council taxes maintaining.

Never any money with our council, unless its someone's personal vanity project to make a statement for their CV PATHETIC SELF SERVING SCUM.

Edited by Arknor

On 11/03/2024 at 13:43, TBG said:

Class if we had to keep the cows, and they were allowed to roam the concourses.

And on the pitch, we could have our very own cow corner. Take that Neom.

27 minutes ago, Arknor said:

Remember during covid when green spaces and well being wa ssooo important and people thought maybe life would change for the better? all of that optimism disappeared as quickly as covid did.

BTW if you werent aware  the council wanted to do this to the green space outside of eldon square

saves money on cutting the grass no doubt... all our council cares about is sterilizing the city to save money.
Don't worry about "green spaces" being too protected for a stadium, cos the council would likely go for it.

Never any money with our council, unless its someone's personal vanity project to make a statement for their CV PATHETIC SELF SERVING SCUM.

Newcastle council has to be one of the most backward, narrow minded councils in the land. Gateshead aren't much of an improvement either, morons with their stupid as fuck idea for Askew Road.

1 hour ago, Arknor said:

While I agree on the general point of NE politicians being useless, in fairness to the council I can't blame them for trying to save money as their budget has been decimated over the last 15 years. 

2 hours ago, Arknor said:

Should be a forest with dedicated trails.

one for walkers/runners
one for dog walkers
and one for bicycles.

our city is soo boring apart from  Jesmond Dene

btw civic centre to spital tongues used to be like Jesmond dene it was called Pandon Dean

Civic centre, hancock museam etc would all be in this painting and this map.
H12923-col-low-cop21.thumb.jpg.c32e99b9d6640f945ca8f8396fd95159.jpgbeilby-barras-bridge-pandon-dene-A1.thumb.jpg.52111c96a8e6a183e8d4933b14514cc6.jpg

now its all flatt and boring, you would never know it used to be a naturally stunning site, if only the freemens cows could graze in water and steep banks :/

Pandon Burn ran along the route of Claremont Road to south of St Thomas Church and then shifted due east along Vine Lane (then regarded as beautiful but now rather less so) until it reached where the central motorway is now and then followed that path to the mouth of the Tyne at Pandon (just beyond the old city wall and near the Law Courts and Broad Chare).

Pandon Dene - as shown in your photo - was the name given to the strech from Vine Lane to The Tyne. It was regarded as the most beautiful spot in the Tyneside area, a winding lane through gentle hills with orchards, pastures, watermills and a lovely bucolic air. Unfortunately, industrialisation, freight trains and back-to-back housing silenced the birdsong. The destruction of Pandon Dene began in the 1850s (by the quayside) and by the 1890s there was essentially nothing left. All done in the name of progress.

The Town Moor has neither the beauty or diversity that Pandon Dene had, but it is still a hugely important green space in our city. Make it more environmentally friendly, bring life to it - but it should never be built on. Castle Leazes is different as it's somewhat detached and lends itself as an obvious park entrance for Spital Tongues and as an extension of Leazes Park. A new stadium in the south west corner of Castle Leazes would be a short move northward of a few hundred yards and the park could be massively extended and enhanced. Win Win!

4 minutes ago, Big River said:

excuse my ignorance, but what's so important about the town moor? can we not just move the cows somewhere else? or eat them?

It’s a grade II listed field, you can’t just destroy heritage like that. Philistine.

It's already got a fuck off dual carriageway across it, and a golf course.  It's not like it's been too carefully preserved so far :)

I feel like the cows would be happier cows 25 miles north in rural Northumberland.

Edited by OpenC

4 hours ago, gbandit said:

All about money and very little of it about. There was a load of trees planted recently by us in one part (can’t remember where exactly) however some of the nearby residents cut them down overnight “allegedly” due to them not wanting their views blocked.

Will be interesting if NUFC do move from their current site to say somewhere like the Arena site as that would eventually cost the Freeman a huge chunk of their income. Not sure if we are protected by the long term Leasehold length agreed or if they can just cut and run.