St James' Park: club plans to expand existing site further to completion of feasibility study (Edwards)

Delima

The Stadium of Light is the obvious choice. They could bus fans in and use the metro, with a heavy police presence to stop any trouble. Sunderland would happily take the few quid off of us for it as well. Its local and on the same public transport network most fans use to go to games anyway. It would be weird and annoying having to do it in the first place but I'm sure we'd all be happy enough knowing its temporary while we build a new world class stadium. Also us winning there would fairly annoy the fuck out of the mackems. 

Edited by Decky

If we were to use an existing ground, wouldn't the more obvious choice be to do something with Gateshead? Fuck playing at the SoL, man. :lol:

19 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If we were to use an existing ground, wouldn't the more obvious choice be to do something with Gateshead? Fuck playing at the SoL, man. :lol:

Capacity at Gateshead would be a problem, unless they were happy enough to put in temporary stands for a couple of years. SoL is ready to go. 

21 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I’d happily play at the SOS.  Gateshead would need us to build an entire new ground there, then move back a couple of years later.  

I just don’t think it’d go ahead playing at the $SOL. There would be absolute murder on their end and I’d say a lot of our fans wouldn’t want to go near there apart from a derby. 

Imo it would be the best option due to capacity etc.

Edited by ryanegg

25 minutes ago, ryanegg said:

I just don’t think it’d go ahead playing at the $SOL. There would be absolute murder on their end and I’d say a lot of our fans wouldn’t want to go near there apart from a derby. 

Imo it would be the best option due to capacity etc.

I reckon our lot would revel in it.  They’d shit a collective brick, though. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The location where Gateshead Stadium is is fucking awful for wind as well. I know bigger stands would help a bit but it's be like watching Bruce Ball all over again for 2 years. :lol:

Short term pain, long term gain.

9 hours ago, Cookie1892 said:

why is everyone against sharing with mackems for 2 year?

Whilst we've already seen that KLD would hand over their stadium to us in a shot for a price, the outrage and backlash from them would be off the scale. I mean imagine the embarrassment when their own stadium is sold out for every NUFC match, yet there's 1000s of empty seats when they are playing there! They couldn't handle it.

Given the absolute shitshow that unfolded in January, even KLD and those in charge of the “project”, who’ve shown they’ll prioritise a few quid over most things, would draw the line at that given the inevitable monumental backlash.

That’s before you consider every poor result we had there would result in the place being smashed up to some degree.

If we had to move temporarily surely we’d just knock up a Qatar-style temporary stadium? Anywhere localish with space would do as location is way less significant if it’s only temporary.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The location where Gateshead Stadium is is fucking awful for wind as well. I know bigger stands would help a bit but it's be like watching Bruce Ball all over again for 2 years. :lol:

I can testify for this after being there on Saturday. Never known owt like it! Funny thing was we walked back into town afterwards and the wind wasn't even that bad then! The place must just act like a wind tunnel.

9 hours ago, Decky said:

The Stadium of Light is the obvious choice. They could bus fans in and use the metro, with a heavy police presence to stop any trouble. Sunderland would happily take the few quid off of us for it as well. Its local and on the same public transport network most fans use to go to games anyway. It would be weird and annoying having to do it in the first place but I'm sure we'd all be happy enough knowing its temporary while we build a new world class stadium. Also us winning there would fairly annoy the fuck out of the mackems. 

There is absolutely no chance that NP would allow 45,000 NUFC fans to go to Sunderland every other week! A complete and utter non-starter!

I could be wrong here but the only reason we would need to move on a temporary basis would be either a total rebuild or renovation on a massive scale? With those factors considered I wouldn’t spend too much time thinking about playing at the SOL :lol:

18 minutes ago, Sima said:

Were there a load of crisp packets swirling around the pitch?

No. The good people of Gateshead seemed to either be capable to find a bin to dispose of their rubbish, or failing that must have taken it home with them.

51 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I can testify for this after being there on Saturday. Never known owt like it! Funny thing was we walked back into town afterwards and the wind wasn't even that bad then! The place must just act like a wind tunnel.

Think it's just the location, top of a bank from the Tyne so it's wide open to the elements which is a shame. 

28 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think it's just the location, top of a bank from the Tyne so it's wide open to the elements which is a shame. 

Building a big stand at the Tyne end of the ground would solve that problem tbf.