St James' Park

Delima

6 minutes ago, Jonas said:

A new ground is 100% not going to change that. If anything will make it worse.

Obviously you can't possibly know that with 100% certainty, although it wasn't the point I was making. There are lots of reasons to stay at SJP but protecting the "atmosphere" isn't one of them. We have great occasions at times absolutely but those are few and far between unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Everywhere else mackems, boro, Man City, Southampton, West Ham, Millwall, Derby, Leicester is worse.

You only have to watch or listen to others game in this country to know its nothing to do with the various shaped stadiums or various ages.

Is there a ground in the country that has an atmosphere better than 10, 15 or 20 years ago? New stadium or not? 

2 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Obviously you can't possibly know that with 100% certainty, although it wasn't the point I was making. There are lots of reasons to stay at SJP but protecting the "atmosphere" isn't one of them. We have great occasions at times absolutely but those are few and far between unfortunately. 

Is there a ground in the country that has an atmosphere better than 10, 15 or 20 years ago? New stadium or not? 

Agree with your points, no point moving for the atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, Toon1892 said:

It’s just a rectangle of grass.

it’s just the clubs name.

It’s just two colours.

May as well just support a successful team and be done with it.

I’m from Newcastle, didn’t realise that was an option

The ground does not equal the club.  If that is the case, and we move, I presume you’ll go and support someone else?

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m from Newcastle, didn’t realise that was an option

The ground does not equal the club.  If that is the case, and we move, I presume you’ll go and support someone else?

If the club moved somewhere else, changed their name and the colours they played in, I would stop watching football.

1 hour ago, Toon1892 said:

The NFL isn’t coming to Newcastle. There are 10 European capital cities it would go to first. Stop being naive.

I dunno.. PIF have their hooks into a lot now, it’s quite easy to imagine doing it as a favour first and then turning into a regular thing when they realise the atmosphere.. I’m presuming it would be a fairly big draw up here for an occasional game?

10 hours ago, Toon1892 said:

The NFL isn’t coming to Newcastle. There are 10 European capital cities it would go to first. Stop being naive.

Probably 10 cities in the UK it would go to first as well tbf.

What makes you think it would be a big draw in Newcastle @Dr Jinx?  Not disputing, just wondering - I only know one person who talks about it, I had assumed it was still pretty minority interest here.

On 16/04/2024 at 19:15, PCW1983 said:

Don’t know how accurate this could be…option C for me! 

bumping this up as it's a great video and gives an 'idea' of the options available

I rarely post but this topic is one that really gets the imagination flowing. 

I'm in favour of moving, just because I can see enormous opportunities which simply cannot happen if we stay. Admittedly some would require our owners to recognise what we have here and diverge a little from the familiar path other clubs are following, but I'd love us to set an example rather than follow. 

1. Atmosphere. I see arguments that moving wont help the atmosphere. I wholeheartedly disagree. If done right (stadium acoustics, non season ticket availability, sensible ticket pricing) we could very easily turn a new stadium into an absolute cauldron which would be the envy of all in this country. If we had 70 to 80,000 capacity we could afford to dedicate one whole end of, say, 15,000 to pay on the day. And make it cheap. Sure, have a membership scheme to ensure troublemakers can be identified etc, but bring back the days of being able to queue up and have a chance of getting into any game. This would also bring back the camaraderie of groups of mates all being able to stick together, and eliminate the current problem of aging season ticket holders being immovable. Ticket sales from other areas of the ground can be higher, money will flow from other areas, a stadium full of noisy fans is worth it's weight in gold (see point 2).

2. Revenue. A new stadium seen (and heard) around the world every other week, one end full of loud and loyal fans who are currently either being priced out, separated from their friends, or haven't yet caught the bug as they can't afford it, would really set us apart from every other club in this country, and would attract new visitors just to sample the atmosphere (see point 1). Stadium concourses with a choice of bars and restaurants with a view over a refurbished and beautiful park leading into the centre of town would be lucrative enough on matchday. But why matchday only? If done right, why couldn't a night out in Newcastle include some drinks or a meal at our new home? And add to that the increased scope for big concerts and events for which we just aren't able to stage at present.

3. The future. Most if not all PL clubs are at some stage going to find the supply line of 'real' new fans becoming thin. The daytripper sorts are important for revenue, but they don't make noise and they will be quick to disappear when things aren't going so well. We should be trying to make it possible for those who desperately want to support the club to get their wish, because it's to everyone's benefit. This is currently impossible, but a new stadium opens the door for lots of new ideas. 

For me the only downside to moving is tradition, which I do get. I've not gone for years but had a season ticket from McFaul to Souness and the place holds memories. But the memories will remain and the club is currently being held back enormously by what I think has become a short-sighted show of loyalty to somewhere which hasn't - for any of us - seen any real success in the form of a trophy 

3 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I know of loads who watch the NFL :dontknow:

I think it's shite personally but would consider going (for the right price) just to see the craic.

I agree, it is pretty shite.

Why do the Yanks even call it "Football"???

Football is the main spectator sport in most of the major countries around the civilised world, yet the Yanks adopt a Rugby Game, and choose to call it "Football".

Their Rugby game is . . .

(1) Played to Rugby-style rules (scoring 'tries/touchdowns' etc)

(2) Played with a Rugby shaped Ball.

(3) Played with Rugby style 'goals' on a Rugby style pitch.

(4) Played 95% with their HANDS !

Yet, they call it "FOOT"BALL !!!!!!!!

47 minutes ago, danswan said:

For me the only downside to moving is tradition, which I do get. I've not gone for years but had a season ticket from McFaul to Souness and the place holds memories. But the memories will remain and the club is currently being held back enormously by what I think has become a short-sighted show of loyalty to somewhere which hasn't - for any of us - seen any real success in the form of a trophy 

WRONG . . . 

1969 European Fairs Cup Winners (2).jpg

SEE - https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/fairs-cup-newcastle-united-the-1969-fairs-cup-win-and-the-50th-anniversary-in-2019-etc.2177948/post-159296132

Edited by manorpark

25 minutes ago, danswan said:

I rarely post but this topic is one that really gets the imagination flowing. 

I'm in favour of moving, just because I can see enormous opportunities which simply cannot happen if we stay. Admittedly some would require our owners to recognise what we have here and diverge a little from the familiar path other clubs are following, but I'd love us to set an example rather than follow. 

1. Atmosphere. I see arguments that moving wont help the atmosphere. I wholeheartedly disagree. If done right (stadium acoustics, non season ticket availability, sensible ticket pricing) we could very easily turn a new stadium into an absolute cauldron which would be the envy of all in this country. If we had 70 to 80,000 capacity we could afford to dedicate one whole end of, say, 15,000 to pay on the day. And make it cheap. Sure, have a membership scheme to ensure troublemakers can be identified etc, but bring back the days of being able to queue up and have a chance of getting into any game. This would also bring back the camaraderie of groups of mates all being able to stick together, and eliminate the current problem of aging season ticket holders being immovable. Ticket sales from other areas of the ground can be higher, money will flow from other areas, a stadium full of noisy fans is worth it's weight in gold (see point 2).

2. Revenue. A new stadium seen (and heard) around the world every other week, one end full of loud and loyal fans who are currently either being priced out, separated from their friends, or haven't yet caught the bug as they can't afford it, would really set us apart from every other club in this country, and would attract new visitors just to sample the atmosphere (see point 1). Stadium concourses with a choice of bars and restaurants with a view over a refurbished and beautiful park leading into the centre of town would be lucrative enough on matchday. But why matchday only? If done right, why couldn't a night out in Newcastle include some drinks or a meal at our new home? And add to that the increased scope for big concerts and events for which we just aren't able to stage at present.

3. The future. Most if not all PL clubs are at some stage going to find the supply line of 'real' new fans becoming thin. The daytripper sorts are important for revenue, but they don't make noise and they will be quick to disappear when things aren't going so well. We should be trying to make it possible for those who desperately want to support the club to get their wish, because it's to everyone's benefit. This is currently impossible, but a new stadium opens the door for lots of new ideas. 

I think us moving would create loads more potential for revenue, and that is vital due to ffp and all the other shite. First started going regularly in 1983 and the modern day St James Park is unrecognisable really compared to back then... the old West stand paddock and open gallowgate terrace hold many fond memories.. but things move on and times change... leaving sjp will be a wrench no doubt.. but we are still going to be Newcastle united and play in black and white stripes.

We should  move to a new 100,000 seater out of town (Prudhoe industrial estate for example) and only allow support that passes a strict “screaming jawdies” exam.
Here’s the real kicker though:

The club don’t tell the current sjp season ticket holders that stayed during the Ashley era that they’ve moved.

That demographic is principally pensioners and bores so implementing this would increase the atmosphere significantly (yes I know owld Tommy hasn’t missed a home game for 57 years but fuck me he’s never cheered since ‘92). They turn up to their normal seats at the original sjp, meet their boring mates for 39 minutes. Get up for a piss. Return to seat and leave after 80 minutes to avoid the “rush”. Wouldn’t even notice there was nothing happening on the pitch. 

New stadium. New fanbase that will be fervent because they have had to put the effort in to get to the ground

Or we could always just stay where we are and increase capacity to 65,000. I know where the smart money is. 

Edited by RS
Obviously I’m taking the piss

SJP has an aura and history. Even if that aura is not justified at times re atmosphere, it's still in the mind of players when the fixture comes up. The same applies to Anfield and Old Trafford, no matter what we think of them, they're iconic. The tradition of shooting towards the Gallowgate end second half which has a literal pitch slope going that way - opposition players talk about feeling like they can't get out when the pressure is on and the atmosphere is up. The gradual upscaling on the ground over the years, an evolution and journey which represents different era's is something to be cherished.  

An extended Gallowgate End would be fantastic and would look not only majestic but bloody intimidating. It would bring the capacity up to the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs especially if we can tweak the East Stand too.

The atmosphere is a separate issue in that seating arrangements need to be modified. Yes it would be 'easier' to do this with a new stadium, but I don't fancy bulldozing our home because we fear moving some fans around. If we had a second standing/singing section, particularly if something was arranged near the away fans, I think this would create a more sustained atmosphere over the season. Perhaps moving the away fans is an option to help trigger this. But whatever the acoustics of the ground are, there a clearly examples when that hasn't stopped great atmospheres in some games. The seating arrangements are the key.

I would have zero trust a new stadium wouldn't be a soulless shell of what he have. I know that's quite cynical perhaps too cynical. But looking at the big changes to the Bearnabu, it looks like a bloody shopping mall now imo - used to look like an epic coliseum and it's not even a new ground. And yes I know Spurs & Real Madrid have the retractable pitch to make it easier to host concerts, but realistically how much would that really going to increase concert opportunities etc? 

We can surely upgrade the facilities inside the ground to help with more commercial activities outside of football. We can develop the strawberry land to bring in more revenue with the fanzone and include something more innovative afterwards.

I'd like to know how Spurs have transformed since they moved into their new ground. Has it allowed them to 'bridge the gap'? Have they won the league? Have they won a cup? Have they remained in the top 4 ever since? The answer to all of those is no. Has their atmosphere improved? I did not go to WHL nor have I been to the new stadium, but I would safety bet the answer is a no. And that is a damning indictment after the claims their stadium architecture will supposedly ensure 'great atmosphere' when it was built. Their fans are kicking off! They have not seen any progress made, literally. So all of this additional revenue is not the game changer people think it is imo and the grass is not necessarily greener. 

I really hope the plan is to extend the Gallowgate End (a big f off sign "The Gallowgate End" would look epic as you drive/walk towards a new beast of a stand) and to increase slightly the East Stand if possible and build upon the fanzone area for additional commercial stuff along with hosting more events, sure. 

4 minutes ago, frankpingel said:

Can we not just settle on 'a minority of us' please, I feel owld enough man 

You should be proud to be part of the diminishing number to have known any NUFC success, I doff my cap to you 

2 hours ago, danswan said:

OK. Replace 'for any of us' with 'for hardly any of us' :)

Why is it that 'people of a certain age' always think they are in some kind of automatic majority?

The most obvious way of saying it (in fact the only real way) is simply to say "for some of us".

4 hours ago, manorpark said:

I agree, it is pretty shite.

Why do the Yanks even call it "Football"???

Football is the main spectator sport in most of the major countries around the civilised world, yet the Yanks adopt a Rugby Game, and choose to call it "Football".

Their Rugby game is . . .

(1) Played to Rugby-style rules (scoring 'tries/touchdowns' etc)

(2) Played with a Rugby shaped Ball.

(3) Played with Rugby style 'goals' on a Rugby style pitch.

(4) Played 95% with their HANDS !

Yet, they call it "FOOT"BALL !!!!!!!!

Rugby league is called ‘football’ or ‘footy’ here in NSW.  Rugby properly is called rugby union football or rugby league football, as opposed to association football.  I guess most folks will call football whichever code of the game is the most popular where they are. 

I don’t watch gridiron either, but each to their own like. 

4 hours ago, manorpark said:

Why is it that 'people of a certain age' always think they are in some kind of automatic majority?

The most obvious way of saying it (in fact the only real way) is simply to say "for some of us".

Not sure what you mean by 'a certain age', but I'm 50 and a grandfather, and the Fairs Cup win was 4 years before I was born. Realistically, in order to remember it as anything other than a rumour, you'd need to be in your mid sixties. 

Given that life expectancy is around 86 years old, and the likelihood of people in their 70's and 80's being on here being slim, that leaves a very small number who will remember it. 

Start a poll, prove me wrong. 

Edited by danswan