St James' Park

Delima

Rebranding should not come at expense of heritage, says Jeff Stelling,

"The hideous decision to rename Newcastle's ground has well and truly got my goat!

Although the caption on Soccer Saturday will refer to whatever the stadium's official name now is, I for one will do my utmost to call St James' Park just that. "

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,12088_7302390,00.html

Good man.

similar to afc wimbledon and fc united of manchester.

Except FCU fans still support Man U, Wimbledon's old club didn't exist and Red Bull changed the club completely and claimed it was a new one without the history so that didn't either.

similar to afc wimbledon and fc united of manchester.

Except FCU fans still support Man U, Wimbledon's old club didn't exist and Red Bull changed the club completely and claimed it was a new one without the history so that didn't either.

not the FCU fans I know (3 admittedly).wimbledon's old club did exist, otherwise they couldn't have taken that place in the league.

Didn't get a chance to really talk to anyone about this until the weekend but it surprised me how "meh" most people I spoke to were.

With the internet fuelled outrage and airings from the usual media darlings and luvvies I expected a lot more fury.

This may be because most of the people I spoke to about it are the sorts who would never refer to the stadium as anything other than St.James' anyway, which is what it will always be, but most seemed to think if anyone is daft enough to pay £10M to have it called the Burger King Bowl or the Evo-Stik Arena then good luck to them.

Didn't get a chance to really talk to anyone about this until the weekend but it surprised me how "meh" most people I spoke to were.

With the internet fuelled outrage and airings from the usual media darlings and luvvies I expected a lot more fury.

This may be because most of the people I spoke to about it are the sorts who would never refer to the stadium as anything other than St.James' anyway, which is what it will always be, but most seemed to think if anyone is daft enough to pay £10M to have it called the Burger King Bowl or the Evo-Stik Arena then good luck to them.

For the local market in the short-term I think you're right - the target of this seems to be the TV/overseas market, who will quickly forget the name St James Park if the TV companies decide to drop it.

it's often the case. many on here seem to think the wider world agrees with them but the truth is often elsewhere.