St James' Park

Delima

6 minutes ago, GWN said:

No private housing similar to the houses opposite in Gateshead quays area

Over on Skyscraper City we are following the various proposals for that area closely, and we have a dedicated thread for it. There are certainly a lot of major plans and proposals in for the nearby "Forth Banks" area, the nearby "Heliport Site" area, and the nearby "Calders Yard" area.

The current "Newcastle Arena" area is included within the remit for the thread, but while the City Council have expressed an opinion that the area could be used for housing in the future, there are no developments proposed for the site as yet. I think we will need to await the opening of the NewcastleGateshead Quays Arena before anything specific can be proposed for the current Arena Site.

Of all the proposals for the (mentioned) adjacent development sites, the nearest one so far in Planning at the City Council is this one here, shown in a recent post on the above-mentioned thread . . . 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/quayside-west-ex-calders-yard-site-heliport-site-and-newcastle-arena-future-site-newcastle-various-approved.983200/post-168894560

Needs to be rebuilt on the land it's already on by turning it around really.

Wouldn't want it moved elsewhere and I definitely wouldn't want it built on the town moor, as much as I love the club, greenspaces like that should be protected (as they already are)

2 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Can’t believe people are serious about moving the ground :pilko:

It’s sad, but the current location severely limits and inhibits any further growth, both in terms of capacity and also revenue. Unless the current stadium is demolished and a new one is rebuilt from

the ground up, a stadium in another location is going to have to be the way forward in the next decade.

If the ground can’t be extended, you can’t risk losing out on an extra 10-20,000 season tickets by not building a new stadium because of memories. 

The Arena site would have been ideal TBH. That whole area could have been rejuvenated and turned into the Newcastle United campus. New stadium. Smaller 5k seat stadium for reserves and woman’s team. 

12 minutes ago, InspectorCoarse said:

Id say move the ground higher up into Leazes Park and then re create Leazes Park on the land St James sits on but have no idea of the legal to's and fro's 

The issues is that Leazes Park is listed. Whilst harm of complete loss of listed sites can be justified by public benefits I think it's unlikely it would be. Something similar to the 90s Castle Leazes proposal would be much more lightly to be acceptable, because it would dramatically improve the setting of Leazes Terrace and wouldn't significantly affect the park.

71eb0b7d806b8dcd3ee263575466a23f.jpg

The best solution would be to revisit the  Castle Leazes  plans from twenty odd years ago.

The actual stadium design would need upgrading like, more like a bigger version of Spurs' new ground than the San Siro type original idea, but the parkland in front of Leazes Terrace idea looked fantastic.

As regards to the environmental opposition to those plans, remember we had a Labour government in then, the Tories wouldn't even bother threatening a public enquiry in my opinion, it'd get passed through no bother.

Edited by bigfella

1 minute ago, InspectorCoarse said:

We absolutely could but its gonna be more along the lines of Tbe Saudi Aramco Arena @ St James Park 

Would be strange that the way they have been talking about it being our club etc.

But yeah above is fine

2 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I’m sure with the money they have they’ll be able to do something with the current SJP.

Football has been played there since 1880 and I’d quite like it to continue.

No amount of cash is gonna disappear Leazes Terrace sooner or later this needs addressing we could be looking at potential crowds of 80 - 100 k 

Think it'd be a shame to move the ground from it's current position, there's nowhere else like it for football in the UK, no ground has a more iconic position to the city or community. I'm sure there will be ways around it, though to be honest there's a lot of other areas to pick up first, not least the training ground. It'd be interesting to see a similar football complex to the one Man City purposely built.

Staveley has repeatedly mentioned the connection between the ground and city. IMO there’s no chance we’d move to any location that you couldn’t comfortably walk to from the city centre. It’d be massively unpopular, no matter how nice it might be. 

You either revamp SJP or at a push go for Castle Leazes. Might sound a bit selfish but I can leave a night match at FT, get to the train station in 5 minutes  and just catch the last train. I’d struggle with that even at Castle Leazes. The current location is a huge benefit.

6 hours ago, TRon said:

I'd love to stay at St James, but the 52k capacity really has hamstrung us. I'd be open minded to a move if it was in the right sort of area. While it's always been great having a stadium bang in the city centre, it also causes congestion on match days. A dedicated stadium outside of the centre would revive another part of the city and you could build in all the training facilities a modern club requires. 

If you think having a city centre stadium causes congestion on matchdays it would be far, far worse having it outside the centre. 

In the current location huge amounts of people get into the city on matchday via public transport. The centre of the city is served from everywhere. Metro from the coast, buses from the West End, trains from the Tyne valley - even walking in from likes of Jesmond. It's a natural orbital location from transport routes to end and makes it a very good, efficient and sustainable location. And because it's a city centre location people drift in during the day, some coming in early to eat or drink or shop, others turning up close to kick off. This controls the flow and arrival of people naturally. 

I can't think of anywhere outside the city that is as remotely well placed for transport. If you move it out of a central orbit you have to provide direct transport routes. That causes an enormous bottle neck and would be horrendous for the road network because there would not be public transport infrastructure. And because it would be out of the centre everybody would go to the ground at exactly the same time after spending the day in town. 

The current location is not just great for the setting (which is the best of any ground I've ever been to) and history - it's a very good location in general. It's an agglomerater which boosts the coffers of the city businesses - and this is reciprocated by boosting attendances. The location is one of the main reasons our crowds have been so good for so long. 

The only thing that should even be considered is the 90s plan to move it onto Castle Leazes behind Leazes Park. Otherwise it should stay exactly where it is. 

Edited by ponsaelius