St James' Park

Delima

3 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Whenever the naming rights discussion comes up I always think about the stadium across the street from me here in Denver that everyone just calls Mile High no matter who the sponsor is. The only people who use its currently sponsored name of “Invesco Field at Mile High” are broadcasters and some news outlets. To me, you, and everyone we know, it’s just Mile High.

St James’ Park would be the same way. 

The difference is, or rather the sense of feeling will or should be is that SJP is intrinsically linked to the heritage, values, culture, history and belonging and meaning of our club and its place in our city, to the people. And renaming it would damage that, as would renaming the Tyne Bridge, another iconic, cultural, historical identity we as Geordies and as a City identify with, as the NCL-Gateshead Bridge. Some things are scared and shouldn’t just be renamed or rebranded because of money. Would we accept a name change of the team for example for riches? No we wouldn’t. A new stadium, fair enough, but not something the people of this City, took on, formed and kept going so our city and people could have its own football club all of those 120 plus years gone by. A place that’s our home, St. James’ Park, the home of Newcastle United for over 120 years! Nah, I’d rather we didn’t! 

Edited by HTT II

5 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Whenever the naming rights discussion comes up I always think about the stadium across the street from me here in Denver that everyone just calls Mile High no matter who the sponsor is. The only people who use its currently sponsored name of “Invesco Field at Mile High” are broadcasters and some news outlets. To me, you, and everyone we know, it’s just Mile High.

St James’ Park would be the same way. 

future generations wouldn’t 

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

The difference is, or rather the sense of feeling will or should be is that SJP is intrinsically linked to the heritage, values, culture, history and belonging and meaning of our club and its place in our city, to the people. And renaming it would damage that, as would renaming the Tyne Bridge, another iconic, cultural, historical identity we as Geordies and as a City identify with, as the NCL-Gateshead Bridge. Some things are scared and shouldn’t just be renamed or rebranded because of money. Would we accept a name change of the team for example for riches? No we wouldn’t. A new stadium, fair enough, but not something the people of this City, took on, formed and kept going so our city and people could have its own football club all of those 120 plus years gone by. A place that’s our home, St. James’ Park, the home of Newcastle United for over 120 years! Nah, I’d rather we didn’t! 

That's exactly my point, though. St James' Park is part of the fabric of the city. It will never not be St James' Park.

At Mile High, for the past 70 years (between two different physical stadiums on the same plot of land, which is the best case scenario for our new stadium) it has always been just Mile High, no matter who has sponsored the stadium. Granted that's not "120 plus years," but it has been Mile High since before the Broncos were even a team. It has been the city's stadium.

In Newcastle (and beyond) it will always be St James' Park. Commentators may have to say "Aramco Field @ St James' Park" or whatever, but it will always be just St James' Park. I don't know one single person, beyond being legally obligated to on broadcast, ever call our stadium anything other than just Mile High. The same would be true for St James' Park as long as it remains on or within Leazes Park.

Edited by cubaricho

West Ham are adding more seats to their stadium and eventually will be the biggest current London PL stadium.

Hope our new owners are already thinking of how to improvise SJP.

Edited by nufcjb

13 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

West Ham are adding more seats to their stadium and eventually will be the biggest current London PL stadium.

Hope our new owners are already thinking of how to improvise SJP.

West Ham’s stadium is fucking shit though. It’s not even a stadium, it’s just some bleachers.

2 hours ago, Cookie1892 said:

Does anyone actually use its name at all??

I say I’m going to “the ground” or the “match” depending on the context.

I rarely say I’m away up to st James park love see you later etc etc

"I'm away up to the Vision 2030 presents Saudia Field at St James Park " 

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Good old Weslers used to love them personally. Don't think they do them anymore apart from the shit ones with the revolting gravy.

There was a place in the Grainger Market did them but the owner died and I don’t think it’s opened again since. 

Mid 70s we had exchange teacher from Canada. First weekend he "treat" his wife and kids to a boiled burger. Can still remember him telling us how confused he was with his meal and wasn't sure if was meant to be served like that as it was so bad.

8 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Good old Weslers used to love them personally. Don't think they do them anymore apart from the shit ones with the revolting gravy.

I found them in the inshops in The Galleries pre lockdown but I haven't been since.

42 minutes ago, PCW1983 said:

There was a place in the Grainger Market did them but the owner died and I don’t think it’s opened again since. 

Used to be able to get them at the cash and carry and Amazon, but think Wesler stopped doing them about 5 year ago. You can still get the shit 4 in a tin with the gravy (it's literally vomit inducing) and getting the hot dogs is not a problem either. Used to often get tins of 24 when you could. Definitely the 'marmite' of burgers mind they were.

Edited by et tu brute

The building work has stopped because the developer has went busy and they have sold the land to a different developer who they do not know if they are going to go ahead with the proposals.

Also he forgets to mention that or is failed to be informed that the development around the Strawberry pub will not impact on the viability of SJP at all, and is a separate development.

Lastly, if we were to move away from SJP, which I don’t think will be in the consortiums thinking, it would likely mean that NUFC would have to surrender the lease back to the Freeman of the city and would no longer be able to use the site for any other activity.