St James' Park

Delima

Man City’s stadium’s cement on the bricks was barely dry when they come in so a new name meant nowt, this is different, this is over 120 years of history. 

2 minutes ago, dazzanufc1892 said:

If it helps with FFP then its silly not to. Its like the arena in Manchester, its not been the MEN arena for about 20 years but thats what everyone still calls it. We will all know it as St James', the fans will call it that. Bigger picture, if a sponsorship means you can spend an extra 200m on players over a few years, its the right thing to do. Missing out and stunting growth due a name is silly. Its not like they're renaming Newcastle United

SJP IS NEWCASTLE UNITED and vice versa. Let’s not trade history, culture, legacy, heritage and identity for a few players who will come and go and may well fail or fuck off or whatever. Or for a few extra million to spend. Put the money into the academy and start producing our own talent and we won’t need to rename a stadium. 

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Man City’s stadium’s cement on the bricks was barely dry when they come in so a new name meant nowt, this is different, this is over 120 years of history. 

And in another 120 years after we’ve won multiple titles at home and in Europe, the public won’t remember St James’ as we know it. Let’s think ahead instead of in the past- In 100 odd years, it won’t matter at all except what the books say we’ve won. There’s zero chance we’ll (as a club) be at St James’ as we know it at the moment. 

I'd rather move location than rename SJP personally. But if the owners decide to do it, you won't find me kicking off because Im sure they'll be acting in good faith and doing it for the right reasons.

The only "red line" for me is keeping the stadium within the city limits. I'd find it very hard to accept if for example they built a new stadium south of the river (have a vague recollection of john hall playing brinkmanship and threatening to do that.)

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

And in another 120 years after we’ve won multiple titles at home and in Europe, the public won’t remember St James’ as we know it. Let’s think ahead instead of in the past- In 100 odd years, it won’t matter at all except what the books say we’ve won. There’s zero chance we’ll (as a club) be at St James’ as we know it at the moment. 

Bull shit, it’s been over 120 years since SJP was formed and fans, the city, the region, the world, still refer to SJP as the home of NUFC because it is. I couldn’t care less about trophies tbh, of course we want to win them, but it’s more than that, I want my club’s history, culture, legacy and heritage to mean something that transcends some silver, that is meaningful, that is core to what NUFC means to it all. 

Just now, HTT II said:

Bull shit, it’s been over 120 years since SJP was formed and fans, the city, the region, the world, still refer to SJP as the home of NUFC because it is. I couldn’t care less about trophies tbh, of course we want to win them, but it’s more than that, I want my club’s history, culture, legacy and heritage to mean something that transcends some silver, that is meaningful, that is core to what NUFC means to it all. 

The stadium right now is our home, but in 120 years there’s not a chance it will still be. Why are we even playing if not to win trophies? It’s obviously not the be all and end all, but to form part of our rich history as you’re stating, we need and deserve to have the club name engraved on silverware. Even if we move stadiums, the history of the club lives with it still. St James’ is the lifeblood of our club, at the present time- who knows what the future will hold for fans in years to come.

Guest dazzanufc1892
11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

SJP IS NEWCASTLE UNITED and vice versa. Let’s not trade history, culture, legacy, heritage and identity for a few players who will come and go and may well fail or fuck off or whatever. Or for a few extra million to spend. Put the money into the academy and start producing our own talent and we won’t need to rename a stadium. 

No it isnt, So when NUFC play away, they're not Newcastle United? Its a stadium, its bricks and mortar, the club is much more

Leave SJP alone, build a new stadium and call it whatever you want but then again, all the most commercially successful clubs (historically) .. Man Utd, Barca, Real.. they left their stadium names alone.

Maybe to play catch up financially with clubs like that you have to go further but it would be a last resort.

Guest reefatoon

They should put £300m in and let the fans vote for the name of the stadium. Just so happens St James’ Park was the name of choice.

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

The [sponsors name only] @St.James' Park. is a good compromise, no? Obviously any other reference to a sporting venue, such as arena, would be wrong. Keeping the name of the venue as St. James' Park is vital, and as long as they do that, I'm happy.

I complained about sponsoring the FA Cup, and whilst sponsorship is an intrinsic element of what is spoiling the game, the Carling FA Cup [ or whatever] isn't erasing the magic of the FA cup as it is still quite clearly the FA Cup.

To be perfectly honest I'm still at the "meh" stage of this takeover. The club has been decimated, football has descended rapidly into organised crime, and I just don't know if I should even give a shit. Sure, we could be on the brink of long overdue success [by simply covering up the corruption of the PL] but it's not in the Roy of the Rovers manner that I dreamed. In fact it is in the manner of everything I have been vehemently opposed to for most of my adult life.

Edited by Happinesstan

You dont even need to rename the stadium to be able to benefit from it from a branding perspective. Its lazy. Just invest in the brand that is already there and align yourself with it. If you acheive that the effect is much stronger because it ends up containing so much more. The name doesnt matter, it's the association. History matters and I hope they consider that.

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

You dont even need to rename the stadium to be able to benefit from it from a branding perspective. Its lazy. Just invest in the brand that is already there and align yourself with it. If you acheive that the effect is much stronger because it ends up containing so much more. The name doesnt matter, it's the association. History matters and I hope they consider that.

Yeah. Aramco @ St. James' Park. isn't renaming the Stadium, is it?

13 hours ago, Wullie said:

It's grim isn't it? I really hope we can win something quite quickly because I really don't like the way we're exposing ourselves as a fanbase who will really welcome absolutely anything in pursuit of a decent full back. Maybe getting a trophy in the cabinet will allow some people to reset their thinking a little bit (or maybe that's very naive).

At least there is a sense at Man United and Liverpool amongst their fans that "We'll always be relatively successful so we don't necessarily have to love every shitty thing our owners are doing"

What I've seen recently makes me think we'd have been the one group of fans absolutely buzzing about being invited into a Super League.

They've picked a perfect club really. Our fans really are so damaged they will accept anything. Even if it means jumping to the defence of Saudi Arabia every step of the way. 

I'm not having a go, like. I'm having to pull myself back from the precipice of falling in the same trap. 

But we really have to remember that the ownership have done nothing for us yet other than buy the club. Everything else is just hypothetical. We need to have the self respect to let them win our trust first. 

Not on here. And not directly. But indirectly the Saudi state have essentially won a load of real life Twitter cheerleaders with green flags in their name responding with lazy whataboutisms to any legitimate points raised about the ownership, human rights abuses and murdered journalists. 

The fans were so desperate for this takeover to happen that we really are perfect for use as a sportswashing tool. It's working already and they haven't done owt except clean the windows. 

Edited by ponsaelius

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

we really are perfect for use as a sportswashing tool. It's working already and they haven't done owt except clean the windows

They could've probably used the twitter fans with Saudi flags in their handle, they must be partial to a bit of window licking.

3 hours ago, Anderson said:

Were Chelsea not on general sale or something? IIRC it's always been a limit of 2 tickets per member.

Possibly.  I was having issue getting tickets for Chelsea which I thought was tied to not being a member.  Could have been on GS at that point.

On 23/10/2021 at 02:36, ponsaelius said:

The fans were so desperate for this takeover to happen that we really are perfect for use as a sportswashing tool. It's working already and they haven't done owt except clean the windows. 

Sports window-cleaning. 

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

I'd be against renaming SJP, but not as vehemently against as I was when Ashley did it.

As when Ashley done it, providing they keep the original name as part of it, it's worth loads to benefit the club (yes I know under him it wouldn't have been worth nearly as much), then I'm OK.

We'll still call it St James' Park regardless.

Whenever the naming rights discussion comes up I always think about the stadium across the street from me here in Denver that everyone just calls Mile High no matter who the sponsor is. The only people who use its currently sponsored name of “Invesco Field at Mile High” are broadcasters and some news outlets. To me, you, and everyone we know, it’s just Mile High.

St James’ Park would be the same way. 

Edited by cubaricho

I'm harking back a few pages here but when was football ever about values and morals? Isn't it about winning FFS? What values and morals has football excelled in? A sense of community, based around what? Going to the match? Is that changing? I'm perplexed by all of this talk TBH, it sounds like nostalgia for something that never existed. Reminds me of something...

7 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Whenever the naming rights discussion comes up I always think about the stadium across the street from me here in Denver that everyone just calls Mile High no matter who the sponsor is. The only people who use its currently sponsored name of “Invesco Field at Mile High” are broadcasters and some news outlets. To me, you, and everyone we know, it’s just Mile High.

St James’ Park would be the same way. 

Agreed, and especially if it was just ONE word added to the front of the St James' Park name, like (say) Aramco St James' Park or whatever . . . 

Edited by manorpark