St James' Park

Delima

I reckon the club are missing a money making opportunity here like. How many people would pay to sit there and watch the SD signage come down round the ground ? Could even have an auction to press the button to delete SD adverts off the digital hoardings.

Edited by madras

11 minutes ago, madras said:

I reckon the club are missing a money making opportunity here like. How many people would pay to sit there and watch the SD signage come down round the ground ? Could even have an auction to press the button to delete SD adverts of the digital hoardings.

And that just so happens to raise £1bn in much needed transfer funds.

1 hour ago, madras said:

I reckon the club are missing a money making opportunity here like. How many people would pay to sit there and watch the SD signage come down round the ground ? Could even have an auction to press the button to delete SD adverts off the digital hoardings.

I think change is probably inevitable but hopefully they'll just smooth the edges a bit and/or extract and exploit the most iconic bit without making fundamental changes. You'd wonder if the NUF C one (you know the one I mean) would appeal from a branding point of view due to its simplicity and broadly circular form. Hardly an expert on this but you look at what teams have done elsewhere - either simplifying and/or circular-ifying seems to be the way to go. One or the other has happened in the last ten years or so at: Man City, Chelsea, Brighton, West Ham, Arsenal, Wolves, Spurs, Liverpool off the top of my head. 

25 minutes ago, manorpark said:

I fully agree with that, our current Club Crest is fantastic . . . 

Newcastle-United-FC-1988-Present.jpg

Agree with that. Slightly off topic, but I'm never particularly bothered about strips these days, but the only gripe I have with shirt makers and their latest fad of making the badge to be only one colour. Looks so cheap:

TJ0203A_A_1000x1000.jpg

21 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I think change is probably inevitable but hopefully they'll just smooth the edges a bit and/or extract and exploit the most iconic bit without making fundamental changes. You'd wonder if the NUF C one (you know the one I mean) would appeal from a branding point of view due to its simplicity and broadly circular form. Hardly an expert on this but you look at what teams have done elsewhere - either simplifying and/or circular-ifying seems to be the way to go. One or the other has happened in the last ten years or so at: Man City, Chelsea, Brighton, West Ham, Arsenal, Wolves, Spurs, Liverpool off the top of my head. 

Simple and circular as a basic vector image is basically a lot easier to replicate across all forms of branding. 

14 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

Agree with that. Slightly off topic, but I'm never particularly bothered about strips these days, but the only gripe I have with shirt makers and their latest fad of making the badge to be only one colour. Looks so cheap:

TJ0203A_A_1000x1000.jpg

Exactly why they do it.

It can work as an alternative every few kits but it seems to be every other kit now.

20 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

TJ0203A_A_1000x1000.jpg

I like it. I can imagine that next season with gold Arabic writing on the front. 

9 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Simple and circular as a basic vector image is basically a lot easier to replicate across all forms of branding. 

Yep, I assume it strengthens brand recognition too. I'll have made this point before but the Manchester Airport arrivals corridors have/had huge displays of the Etihad with the badge in the bottom right corner; and their current (vapid, soulless, unimpressive, cynical... globally recognisable) badge works in that environment far more than their previous one would do, all lit up and 'affixed to' a feature advertising the club and the city. 

It's very artifical though (to use that word yet again).

13 hours ago, Nobody said:

Fuck that. Our current one is fantastic, one of the best in England. 

Aye. Personally think the 1976-83 and 1983-88 crests are shite. Especially the former, with the little magpie in front of a castle, dreadful. Hope we never change ours, only change I'd accept is a more monotone colouring of it ie the 125 Years crest we had for 2017-18.

Changing it would feel like changing for changing's sake. 'ooooh, Man City and these other fuckers did it so we should'. No. Fuck off. You're a nonce.

11 hours ago, Yorkie said:

All for a change in badge, personally not a fan of the current one and as you allude our badge is far too complex, colourful and tacky from a branding point of view, the smart move would be to just revert back to the old NUFC badge you referenced, it's clean, simple and you'd think backlash would be minimal since it's an already established badge in the history of the club.

Edited by Clark
Typo

12 minutes ago, Clark said:

All for a change in badge, personally not a fan of the current one and as you allude our badge is far too complex, colourful and tacky from a branding point of view, the smart move would be to just revert back to the old NUFC badge you referenced, it's clean, simple and you'd think backlash would be minimal since it's an already established badge in the history of the club.

What is a club [crest] anyway?

I think that NUFC badge is fucking shit tbh, and our current one is stand out beautiful. I hope they don't change it, but if they do really hope it's not something as minimalist and characterless as the 'NUFC' approach - I could live with a third interpretation of the sea horses with crest.

I also don't like this mono-colour thing they're already doing (e.g. having all the badge orange on away kit), and e.g. Liverpool do. Kills half the character of it.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

5 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I think that NUFC badge is fucking shit tbh, and our current one is stand out beautiful. I hope they don't change it, but if they do really hope it's not something as minimalist and characterless as the 'NUFC' approach. 

It definitely stands out... How could it not? With its grey seahorses grasping a gold gilded black and white shield that sits below a castle being conquered by a lion holding a red and blue flag. B-E-A-utiful...

Yuck!