St James' Park

Delima

22 minutes ago, OpenC said:

That's the point though, they're just useless little floating things and not in any sense, actual or figurative, a workhorse of the sea :lol:

Have you seen them things swimming? Looks hard graft to me!

Not quite Adam Pearson 13 hours standing outside a training ground hard, but hard nonetheless.

6 hours ago, manorpark said:

I have a lot of faith in our new owners, for a lot of things.

One of the attributes that I believe they possess is "taste", so for that reason I do not believe they will want to change our beautiful and historically significant club crest.

👍🏻 Exceptional taste :indi:

4 hours ago, OpenC said:

That's the point though, they're just useless little floating things and not in any sense, actual or figurative, a workhorse of the sea :lol:

They're made to look partially like actual horses rather than just sea horses, a sort of mythical horse/seahorse hybrid , so always took it to be a sort of amphibious symbol, and I'm guessing the importance of actual horses in life, for nobility etc is significant in some way for why they were chosen rather than just say a couple of sea lions lounging on the sides of the crest.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

15 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

They're made to look partially like actual horses rather than just sea horses, a sort of mythical horse/seahorse hybrid (see the head), so always took it to be a sort of amphibious symbol, and I'm guessing the importance of actual horses in life, for nobility etc is significant in some way for why they were chosen rather than just say a couple of sea lions lounging on the sides of the crest.

Aye, I don't see them as seahorses at all really, but mythological creatures. Horses with dragon tails. They don't really possess many qualities or characteristics of a seahorse, namely they have legs & hooves, a clearly defined horses head that doesn't resemble a seahorse in the slightest and a coiled dragon's tail rather different in form than a seahorse's.

I feel like it symbolises nobility and fierceness. 

City of Newcastle upon Tyne - Coat of Arms

The coat of arms for the city of Newcastle upon Tyne has been in use since at least the fourteenth century. The earliest surviving example of the three silver castles on a red shield, dating from about 1400, is in the window on the north side of the Chancel in St. John's Church. It has three castles, supported by two seahorses. At the top there is a lion holding the golden staff of St. George's pennant. At the bottom is the motto Fortiter Defendit Triumphans, meaning Triumphing by Brave Defence.

Both the supporters and crest were added to the shield by grant of William Flower, Norroy King of Arms, in 1575. 

The blazon - The formal description of the coat of arms, known as a blazon, is: Arms: Gules three Castles triple towered Argent. Crest: On a Wreath of the Colours a Castle as in the Arms issuant therefrom a demi Lion guardant supporting a Flagstaff Or flying therefrom a forked Pennon of the Arms of Saint George. Supporters: On either side a Sea Horse proper crined and finned Or.

What the coat of arms means:

The castle motif goes back to earliest times. Originally the town took its name from the "New Castle" built by order of Robert Curthose, eldest son of William the Conqueror, in 1080 and a castle was depicted on the twelfth century common seal.

The supporters, two mythical sea-horses shaded in green with gold manes, fins and tails, are a reminder that Newcastle is a seaport.

The motto, Fortiter Defendit Triumphans (Triumphing by Brave Defence) was adopted during the Civil War, following the stubborn defense of the town against the Scots in 1644.

A couple of sea lions similarly transformed with Mike Ashley and Steve Bruce's upper torsos could have worked the last couple of years

As I say, I do like our badge as it is but I maintain that the seahorses, whether interpreted as a noble chimera or otherwise (I'm sure the leaf at the end of the tail must be significant also) do not add to it :)

(there don't appear to be leaves there :lol: - definitely saw a version this morning with a maple leaf style tail, probably some Canadian supporter chapter)

There's a dedicated thread for it so I'll stop posting about it in the SJP thread now though :lol:

Edited by OpenC

SJP will be loud and noisy on Saturday. Maybe not as noisy as vs Spurs but the reception Eddie Howe will get will be enormous.

Hope the ground is improved further in the coming months. Need to start making it a fortress again on and off the pitch. Make teams fear coming to this grand old stadium again.

13 hours ago, nufcjb said:

SJP will be loud and noisy on Saturday. Maybe not as noisy as vs Spurs but the reception Eddie Howe will get will be enormous.

Hope the ground is improved further in the coming months. Need to start making it a fortress again on and off the pitch. Make teams fear coming to this grand old stadium again.

It should be even louder than Spurs! Biggest game of the season this one. In fact I think these next 3 home games could well define our season. If we take 9 points it should at least make sure we are in touching distance of the teams in 17th and above when the transfer window opens. If we don't do well, baring in mind our other fixtures, we could almost be a lost cause cone January which will have a massive impact on who we can bring in.

Add to all that there's now no Bruce or any of the other Steve's stinking the place out and it's our new managers (who has almost unanimous approval from the fans) first game it all points to an unbelievable atmosphere.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Please say this is today?

Get the fuck in! That means an announcement on new sponsors etc. must be imminent!

1 minute ago, kisearch said:

That's surely from when they were put up? The light and the sky doesn't look like the weather today. 

Hello darkness my old friend…