St James' Park

Delima

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

‘Best in class in all respects’

I’m really not sure that would include the stadium if we remain at St Jame’s. 

Bollocks.

Yes it needs upgrading, but it's one of the best stadiums in the country as it is. 

Saying it needs to move to be one of the best is just wrong. 

20 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Bollocks.

Yes it needs upgrading, but it's one of the best stadiums in the country as it is. 

Saying it needs to move to be one of the best is just wrong. 

You think it compares with the facilities at Spurs and Arsenal ? If you cant upgrade/increase the east stand and gallowgate it will never be best in class.

Edited by Whitley mag

8 minutes ago, WackZeeEeerz said:

Doing a long term land swap on leezes park seem pragmatic for the club and council. Build our new stadium on plot close to st jamess then once done, demolish the old stadium and return to park land with a few routes for fans to get to the game 😉

This seems like the most likely option. People will twist about losing some of leazes park, but the park will get the equivalent amount of land back once SJP is gone. I'm expecting the landscaping of the former SJP site will be incorporated into the build. A brand new stadium with heritage features complimenting the leazes area and lush green spaces and parklands leading to it would instantly make it one of the best stadiums on earth. 

Here’s an idea. The Utilita Arena is closing with a new venue being built on the quays in Gateshead. The current owners haven’t announced what they’ll do with the site yet. There’s plenty of land behind it to build whatever size stadium you’d want. Keeps it in the city. You can just picture the aerial shots with the stadium and the bridge in the background. Only issue I could think of is flooding risk but that’s a long shot.

Wouldn’t need to move while was being built etc.

8 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Don't think expansion or move is ever going to happen. Land down by the Arena is already due to be developed, Leazes Park is a non-starter and constraints around St James' are too great.

This statement does not seem to 'fit' with my understanding of our new owners - at all !

So those who'd consider moving to a new stadium in an alternative city centre location are mad cunts and sick freaks? Perhaps a giant psychiatric unit should be built on Leazes Park - handy for the RVI and for any NUFC fans showing signs of objectivity. 

We're all emotionally invested in St.James's, but that shouldn't close our minds to the possibility of change.

I'm going to ask this again, because I think it's a worthwhile question that has been overlooked...

Why not MOVE the Leazes Terrace buildings?

Around the world it is a relatively common thing to move (either as a whole building, or by carefully pulling down and reconstructing) historical & listed buildings to a new location, to preserve their historical significance.

Leazes Terrace could be moved closer to Richardson Rd (replacing the Tennis Courts, which could be rebuilt somewhere within a new St James' Park sporting facility), or to another location altogether.

1 hour ago, Montey said:

I'm going to ask this again, because I think it's a worthwhile question that has been overlooked...

Around the world it is a relatively common thing to move (either as a whole building, or by carefully pulling down and reconstructing) historical & listed buildings to a new location, to preserve their historical significance.

Leazes Terrace could be moved closer to Richardson Rd (replacing the Tennis Courts, which could be rebuilt somewhere within a new St James' Park sporting facility), or to another location altogether.

great shout , something I never ever thought of .

I was looking at them coming out of the Villa match and I can’t think for the life of me how it will effect anything if the East stand was higher , it’s full of students who won’t give a fuck , I don’t get it?

8 hours ago, Montey said:

Have you any idea how big that place is?

And by big, I mean fucking enormous.

9 hours ago, Montey said:

Pretty sure it's been shot down every time it comes up in this thread. :laugh: It's a complete non-starter. Even if it was remotely acceptable in planning terms, the sheer expense of it would be astronomical. 

I really and truly want the owners to tell us about their plans for the stadium. We've been going on about it since even pre-takeover days. But notbing directly said about expansion or moving somewhere else by the owners themselves.

29 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

I really and truly want the owners to tell us about their plans for the stadium. We've been going on about it since even pre-takeover days. But notbing directly said about expansion or moving somewhere else by the owners themselves.

Quite rightly they're probably waiting to have the right structure and people in place before announcing future plans. The recruitment in January shows you how threadbare we are as an organisation.

There is so much work for them to do after the neglect of the Ashley years. I'm not one of those who thinks they should prioritise one area over another, for example the training ground before the ground. With the right people in place we can develop multiple areas simultaneously.

Is also important to consider the different stakeholders we have to build relationships with to finalise our plans. All of that takes time.

8 hours ago, GWN said:

great shout , something I never ever thought of .

I was looking at them coming out of the Villa match and I can’t think for the life of me how it will effect anything if the East stand was higher , it’s full of students who won’t give a fuck , I don’t get it?

Moving Leazes Terrace gets brought up virtually every other page in this thread. It's never going to happen.

The east stand couldn't just just be built straight up. It's cantilevered and as shallow as it can be right now, even if another tier were built above the structure and infrastructure would have to be further back behind the stand. To get any sort of worthwhile expansion it would have to be both closer to Leazes Terrace and a lot higher. That would be very likely to be considered to have an unacceptable impact on the setting of Leazes Terrace. It would require the demolition of at least part of St James Street.

Whether that would also unacceptably impact on light to Leazes Terrace would be a matter for technical assessment but I expect it would.

It doesn't matter whether residents object or not, or even support it, the impacts on them are considered in a planning application in the same way whatever.

Edited by Jackie Broon

2 minutes ago, macphisto said:

No player has ever turned us down because of the training ground:lol:

Whereas you think St James’ is a drawback in terms of attracting players?

The stadium is class, the location is unbeatable, the capacity is fine. Do some of you just want to be able to brag on Twitter about having massive attendances or something? Chelsea, Liverpool and City have managed just fine with <55k stadiums. 

2 minutes ago, Bompeter said:

The stadium is class, the location is unbeatable, the capacity is fine. Do some of you just want to be able to brag on Twitter about having massive attendances or something? Chelsea, Liverpool and City have managed just fine with <55k stadiums. 

TBF City could easily cope with a smaller stadium.

10 hours ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Don't think expansion or move is ever going to happen. Land down by the Arena is already due to be developed, Leazes Park is a non-starter and constraints around St James' are too great.

Why is Leazes Park a non-starter?

16 minutes ago, Bompeter said:

Liverpool are currently in the process of expanding Anfield up to 61k, Man City struggle to fill their stadium as it is and Chelsea can't expand Stamford Bridge on Health and Safety grounds as the only exit/entry points are onto the Fulham Road.

18 minutes ago, Bompeter said:

I was joking about Charnley's previous comment regarding the training ground.

Where did I say that the stadium was a drawback in attracting players?

We are in a completely different situation to those clubs. Man City, as has been pointed out, share a city with Man U so their supporter base is more limited than ours in my opinion. Liverpool have plans to expand to 61,000. They could get more but I would think that has more to do with FSG not having the same financial muscle as PIF and are going for incremental increases.

With regards to Chelsea, they are restricted by where they are located, richest borough or near the top in the UK. They did have plans to expand before Ambramovich got his passport vetoed. The other thing to note with Chelsea is that they can compensate to a certain extent for their smaller stadium through high ticket prices and corporate packages. 

Why do people think Ashley was wanting such a high price for Newcastle in relation to our income and football setup when comparable clubs in terms of income were much cheaper? Why were PIF so adamant about buying us? Why are we often referred to as a sleeping giant with so much untapped potential? I believe PIF bought the club and Ashley wanted such a high premium because of this last point, our potential; potential that were it developed would see our crowds grow much more than 6,000-,10,000. If you don't agree with that then you are almost saying that Ashley was maximising the potential of the club in terms of our crowds without even trying. We have a geographical reach like no other in the UK as our nearest Premier League club is 90 miles away.