St James' Park

Delima

1 hour ago, Karjala said:

I wonder how much of that land would even be needed? Looks like if you built it over the top of the road it'd be enough - could probably still have the road running under the stand.

If the stand were the same depth as the Milburn the back of it would be approximately where the kerb is on the opposite side of Strawberry Place. That would be very close to 'building D' of the Strawberry Place development, which I think would be at least part residential, so could potentially be a showstopper.

There's also the issue of the metro station underneath, which might make it unviable.

Edited by Jackie Broon

1 hour ago, macphisto said:

Are you saying the age profile of our crowd didn't significantly increase under Keegan and that there were still large groups of teenagers attending games? 

Is that the same thing as saying:

2 hours ago, macphisto said:

Two other very important things to consider.  I would hate to see fans, particularly young fans, prevented from attending the match like the Keegan years. We almost lost a young generation of fans for a few years under Keegan. Why would we do that to ourselves as a club if there is the option (we don't know PIF's plans) to accommodate them in the future either through expansion or building a new ground? 

My last point is that we talk about this being a sport washing exercise for Saudi Arabia but in many ways it applies to the region to. This could put the city/region on the map and attract investment in the region like we haven't seen before. 

If you mean lost from SJP, then fair enough and I've misinterpreted what you were saying. I read it as you meaning we nearly lost them altogether

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Is that the same thing as saying:

If you mean lost from SJP, then fair enough and I've misinterpreted what you were saying. I read it as you meaning we nearly lost them altogether

I went from attending as many games as I could to attending 1 home game in around 10 years. I played Saturday afternoon football so didn’t have a ST and just couldn’t get a ticket if I didn’t have a game. It pissed me off massively at the time.

...and yet here we all are still supporting Newcastle!

I still remember vividly the boom at school of people getting massively into football and Newcastle. Getting a season ticket was nigh on impossible but I didn't know a single person who got into football at that time who lost interest in Newcastle until the Ashley years.  

24 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Going to matches didn't even seem a possibility when I was growing up. Managed a few European games here and there. 

Same, I managed to go to most of the home European games but not a hope of getting into league matches. Although a lad I used to sit next to when I had a season ticket insisted he'd managed to get tickets for most home league game in the 36,000 era without a season ticket, god knows how, if it was true.

To be fair a lot of those people, especially kids, that missed out during the Keegan era weren't interested in going before Keegan. So I'd say we gained rather than lost people even if they couldn't often get in.

Edited by Wolfcastle

The only match I got to was a home match against Spurs (not that one), seats in the Gallowgate with a Sunderland supporting mate who got hold of work ST tickets (an Accountancy firm who couldn’t get tickets anywhere else in the ground and used them to entertain-imagine that, the demand was so great that they considered seats in the Gallowgate as an atttactive proposition to clients).

The notion that some folk would happily stay at St James even if we couldn’t expand just beggars belief. We’ve now got the most ambitious owners in world football, in what world are they going to be happy with the 8th or worse largest stadium in the country. 

As if these owners would sit by and allow Leeds, Everton and Chelsea to also expand higher than us. Some folk on here clearly belong in fucking Beamish and have the ambition of Steve Bruce.

If we were to expand or move (Leazes Park only alternative for me) I’d prefer a stadium where you wouldn’t notice up to 25k empty seats and where you could easily close parts down without affecting acoustics.

Don’t say it can’t happen, we’re one bad owner away and we’re not at a level where we’d constantly fill the stadium.

I’m really not sure what our natural attendance level would be week in week out. I’d be happy with circa 65k.

Location-wise there can only be three spots for any new stadium - the existing SJP footprint, move to Castle Leazes or down to the Arena. Any new stadium MUST be in the city centre though - that is non-negotiable.

The most realistic option is revisiting the Castle Leazes proposal. It would have to be on a much grander scale than the one from the 1990s though.

I still think that Leazes Terrace could be moved. And I don't buy that the cost would be insane. The main hurdle for that proposal would be getting the permission to do it.

For all the talk of a new location though, what is FAR more important is what would the new stadium design be like. It would be imperative that the number one requirement would be a design that created atmosphere, and kept the sound within the stadium. Therefore a proper roof that fully shelters each stand would be essential - not one of these half-roof monstrosities that leave half of the seating areas exposed to the elements.

I remember standing at the gates on the corner of the Millburn/Leases in 95 against QPR trying to get any glimpse we could when Beardsley nestled one in the stanchion and we all burst into the ground during the celebrations. Some reet owld bastards were screaming at the stewards to get us all kicked out. Was just amazing as a teenager to actually get in the ground back then. Cup games and Europe were your only chance.

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

The notion that some folk would happily stay at St James even if we couldn’t expand just beggars belief. We’ve now got the most ambitious owners in world football, in what world are they going to be happy with the 8th or worse largest stadium in the country. 

As if these owners would sit by and allow Leeds, Everton and Chelsea to also expand higher than us. Some folk on here clearly belong in fucking Beamish and have the ambition of Steve Bruce.

Here's me thinking there was more to football than just dick-swinging. 

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Man City Owners seem happy with a 55,097 seater stadium ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

If we were to expand or move (Leazes Park only alternative for me) I’d prefer a stadium where you wouldn’t notice up to 25k empty seats and where you could easily close parts down without affecting acoustics.

Don’t say it can’t happen, we’re one bad owner away and we’re not at a level where we’d constantly fill the stadium.

I’m really not sure what our natural attendance level would be week in week out. I’d be happy with circa 65k.

Today, our natural attendance level is probably 55,000+. Next year (if we stay up), it'll probably be 60,000+. It should continue to increase as we grow on the national stage and attract international students and tourists, young kids from Basingstoke and Bury St Edmunds, aspiring fairweather fans and former Sunderland supporters.

A successful, attractive Newcastle United playing in a magnificent stadium should manage 75,000 within a few years. Why would't we aim to accommodate those that want to attend?

You'd hope every possible inventive engineering solution would be looked at before considering moving. Pitch rotation, digging down, even the (ridiculous) brick by brick relocation of the G1 buildings etc. Not like we can't afford it :lol:

The impact & appeal of the stadium where it's placed rn should never be taken for granted. Tbh I'd say expand it to 60k, squeeze in however many more you can with safe standing and then just take the L on matchday revenue losses and appreciate what you gain culturally/geographically from staying.

I meant Castle Leazes not Leazes Park btw. If we could rotate SJP in a timely manner even better. And if we could build where Barrack Rd passes the stadium even better, theres a useable road behind there, bit of a faff for buses but still possible or just build a tunnel for busses only.

6 hours ago, macphisto said:

Good to hear that about the Emirates. As has been pointed out though, can we really use Arsenal's move as a barometer? Highbury was hardly jumping. Interesting insights regarding the atmosphere at the new stadium on page 12 of this survey by Spurs fans. It seems like the atmosphere is more affected by the actions of the board than the new stadium.

My brother in law supports them and at the time had a ST there and I was in London so he treated me to their FA Cup game against Spurs and I was blown away by the whole stadium, inside out out, the facilities, the acoustics, the design, how every significant legend, hero and icon was lionised on the interior walls throughly the ground, how every exit into the bowls of the stadium from the stands was well serviced with drink and food stands, toilets and lifts and disabled access and how clean and modern it was and how the atmosphere was on the stands.

It was Spurs, but it was rocking and the seating was comfortable and the leg room too, without feeling you were distanced from those left and right, in front and behind to you. My brother in law used to work for NUFC and was responsible under the FS era for bringing in millions to the club in corporate areas and obviously he holds NUFC in high esteem, but he left not long after Ashley took over and I took him back to SJP a few years back and he was heart broken at the state of the club and indeed SJP.