St James' Park

Delima

Was not aware of Eales saying that about the East Stand, that's great and would love to see it. We did a poll on here - think it was this thread but it's gone - which iirc showed more than 80% of people (out of 300ish) thought it was important that it was changed. 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The East Stand lettering is one of the things I would have liked to see NUST push for us. 

I think they're working on something where you can get all the original lettering in a box all jumbled up and you have to put them together yourself in the correct order. 

38 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I hope this stops funding in its tracks. 

Seems like a pure shot in the dark, but i haven't a clue if this actually means anything in your world over in the NE

I'm still not convinced that the Strawberry place development is even likely. They are doing everything they can to make it seem like they're doing it (and chasing public funding to plug viability gaps being one) and have also been making moves to ensure the planning consent doesn't lapse. But I'm sure it's just a bargaining position in selling the land. We'll see.

5 minutes ago, Stifler said:

So only a delay?

Nah, they've made a decision based on this:

'At a meeting of the NTCA’s cabinet at Newcastle Civic Centre, North of Tyne mayor Jamie Driscoll claimed there were “economic ramifications that don’t stack up” on the site, which was sold by former Magpies owner Mike Ashley. The Labour mayor later told the LDRS: “There are a number of issues about the economic viability of this, should we be subsidising the nature of the project, the housing.

"I know there is a big public story about Newcastle United and the possibility to expand – I don’t know whether this would actually impinge on that or not anyway, that is a question for architects and engineers. But we have decided that we are not going to support the scheme, on its own merits, with public money.”

The move will come as a welcome relief to NUFC supporters hoping for more positive news at St James' Park on transfer deadline day and came just a few hours before the second leg of the League Cup semi-final against Southampton.'

I'd fucking love it if out of the blue the club announced that they had bought it back.  Even if they said they did that not because of immediate plans but just to keep the options open.  As good as a signing :)

Hopefully the lack of funding will put them in a better position to do that.

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I'm still not convinced that the Strawberry place development is even likely. They are doing everything they can to make it seem like they're doing it (and chasing public funding to plug viability gaps being one) and have also been making moves to ensure the planning consent doesn't lapse. But I'm sure it's just a bargaining position in selling the land. We'll see.

I said this a few pages back. They will be doing in their power to put the site on the market. The fact is they could have started work on it at anytime. They evidently don’t have the money for it, and are trying to sell the site.

If I had the Saudis and Reubens in my back garden you better believe I'm doing everything possible to get them to buy my asset.

Always thought this had Ashley's mitts on it for some reason.

I'm far from an expert on this, but you'd think the city would be very receptive to what the club want to do now and in the future with regards to SJP because the Reuben/Saudi combo could be a gamechanger for years to come in terms of other investments in the area.

Just now, timeEd32 said:

I'm far from an expert on this, but you'd think the city would be very receptive to what the club want to do now and in the future with regards to SJP because the Reuben/Saudi combo could be a gamechanger for years to come in terms of other investments in the area.

Given that this angle was played all the way to parliament I hope we see some inkling of that actually happening now they have the takeover done!

The city council are undoubtedly receptive to what the owners want to do for the city and they've already been in regular contact from the outset - as you would expect. 

The council however doesn't own the land in question and therefore has no influence on what is done on the land beyond determining planning applications that are brought forward by a private developer. The two previous applications on the site were approved because they were entirely compliant with planning policy for the development of a city centre site. You can't refuse an application because you might want another hypothetical developer, who doesn't own the land, to maybe come forward with something else in the future. Such a decision would not only be easily won on appeal but would probably result in costs being awarded to the applicant.

If the development does get built in its currently approved form then it would put a probably insurmountable barrier on developing the Gallowgate because it is to have resi units directly facing out onto Strawberry Place. So even if you could potentially build over strawberry place practically it would never be approved at such proximity. 

However - I personally don't think it will get built. If they think the club wants to expand the Gallowgate - then selling the land back to the club is such an easy win on a site that probably otherwise has viability issues.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

The city council are undoubtedly receptive to what the owners want to do for the city and they've already been in regular contact from the outset - as you would expect. 

The council however doesn't own the land in question and therefore has no influence on what is done on the land beyond determining planning applications that are brought forward by a private developer. The two previous applications on the site were approved because they were entirely compliant with planning policy for the development of a city centre site. You can't refuse an application because you might want another hypothetical developer, who doesn't own the land, to maybe come forward with something else in the future. Such a decision would not only be easily won on appeal but would probably result in costs being awarded to the applicant.

If the development does get built in its currently approved form then it would put a probably insurmountable barrier on developing the Gallowgate because it is to have resi units directly facing out onto Strawberry Place. So even if you could potentially build over strawberry place practically it would never be approved at such proximity. 

However - I personally don't think it will get built. If they think the club wants to expand the Gallowgate - then selling the land back to the club is such an easy win on a site that probably otherwise has viability issues.

Apologies if you've already outlined it somewhere else, but what would you do with that land if the club did buy it?

I've been watching the flow of supporters through it on the way in and out of games this season, and it seems like such a missed opportunity by the club to have done something with it already.