Wigan 1 - 0 Newcastle - Post match thread

Wullie

Do we usually create loads in midfield and score tons of goals then? I must have missed that.

I rate Martins, Owen, Milner, Emre, Solano, Parker, N'Zogbia, Duff, Dyer and Butt.(The last two on this season's showing anyway) The reason we don't "create loads in midfield" and "score tons of goals" is down to the manager's incompetence. 

are simply not good enough. And I'm still not convinced by Huntingdon and Edgar.

Do you think we've got a good defence or something?

Bramble played well today. dont know which match you watched but i did not see Babayaro,  Ramage or Carr  playing

:idiot2:

I was there and Bramble did play well. Continually covering for Huntingtons lack of positional sense.

Erm....I'm not commenting on today!

Where did I say you did? I was merely commenting on the fact you seemed bemused at the fact WM said Bramble played well today.

Well, it wasn't about Bramble.

So he played well today...big deal. Not good enough.

What about the other games since he came back from injury? He's played superbly. He was also in good form before he got injured. I'm not saying he's a good player but credit where it's due, yeah?

He dosen't deserve a new contract. Few good games here and there is not enough. He's awful and dosen't deserve to play for a club like Newcastle. 

I didn't give credit for today's performance because I didn't watch the match. Saying he played well is just a person's opinion. I thought he played well against the Belgian team in the first leg. But the commentators and some members on here were overhyping him way too much. It was pathetic.

I prefer Bramble rather than Ramage and Carr

I prefer new players over those 3!

I prefer Bil Geits to be our chairman then we can sign Cannavaro,Nesta and R.Ferdinand over those 3 but we cant affort 3 new defenders so i prefer to offer Titus new contract and next year to get rid of Ramage and Carr

Otherwise if we let Titus go,next season we'll ofer new contract to Ramage who is our worst player

Roeder is beyond defence, again.

He picked a better first 11 on Thursday in a game which was all but won, even if we lost the home game we were never going to go down by more than 1 goal.  He played Milner on Thursday then dropped him today to give him a rest, personally I think "the rest" was an excuse to drop him.  If he was needing a rest then any manager worth that title would have rested him on Thursday, I'd love to see somebody try to defend that decision.

Roeder didn't have the balls to drop a senior player so he shuffled the pack to get the three central defenders in, he does the same to accommodate Carr, he's a joke of a manager.

The players should be motivated, self motivated, we all know life isn't that simple, sometimes it's the job of the manager, in this respect, I've yet so see any evidence that Roeder has done that this season.  The players we have on the pitch should be good enough to beat Wigan, Sheffield United, Charlton, Fulham and Birmingham 9 times out of 10, it's the managers job to make sure this happens, it's his job to make sure the players are up for it and that they are the best players at his disposal in every position, he doesn't do that and I think it's because he doesn't have a clue what he's doing and that assessment isn't knee-jerk, I've not changed my position on him since he was appointed.

I hoped I was wrong but so far it looks like I was right.

You don’t fail as often as him at previous clubs if you’re good at your job.

Roeder isn’t good enough, that isn’t going to change.

I don’t really blame people for defending him, we all want things to go well, the trouble is that by defending him you’re accepting the s**** that was produced today and nobody should accept that today was good enough.  It wasn’t even a one-off it was typical of Newcastle this season and I think it’s going to be typical for as long as Roeder is manager.  If the players need some help from the management then they are in trouble because the management isn’t up to the job.

top post

Do we usually create loads in midfield and score tons of goals then? I must have missed that.

I rate Martins, Owen, Milner, Emre, Solano, Parker, N'Zogbia, Duff, Dyer and Butt.(The last two on this season's showing anyway) The reason we don't "create loads in midfield" and "score tons of goals" is down to the manager's incompetence. 

are simply not good enough. And I'm still not convinced by Huntingdon and Edgar.

Do you think we've got a good defence or something?

Bramble played well today. dont know which match you watched but i did not see Babayaro,  Ramage or Carr  playing

:idiot2:

I was there and Bramble did play well. Continually covering for Huntingtons lack of positional sense.

Erm....I'm not commenting on today!

Where did I say you did? I was merely commenting on the fact you seemed bemused at the fact WM said Bramble played well today.

Well, it wasn't about Bramble.

So he played well today...big deal. Not good enough.

What about the other games since he came back from injury? He's played superbly. He was also in good form before he got injured. I'm not saying he's a good player but credit where it's due, yeah?

He dosen't deserve a new contract. Few good games here and there is not enough. He's awful and dosen't deserve to play for a club like Newcastle. 

I didn't give credit for today's performance because I didn't watch the match. Saying he played well is just a person's opinion. I thought he played well against the Belgian team in the first leg. But the commentators and some members on here were overhyping him way too much. It was pathetic.

I prefer Bramble rather than Ramage and Carr

I prefer new players over those 3!

I prefer Bil Geits to be our chairman then we can sign Cannavaro,Nesta and R.Ferdinand over those 3 but we cant affort 3 new defenders so i prefer to offer Titus new contract and next year to get rid of Ramage and Carr

Otherwise if we let Titus go,next season we'll ofer new contract to Ramage who is our worst player

It's up to the club to come up with some money.  We're not going to move forward if we keep settling for mediocrity.

to be honest, we will perform much bettter as soon as the boo boys fook off and support another club (mackems perhaps)

Not a boo boy in sight today and we didn't do better.

I was not refering to boos at the game, as there was non today, what i meant is. we could go on a 40 game winning run, then get beat then people just start popping out the woodwork,  sack him,,sack them, why was he playing, why wasn't he playing ect. 

So wait, if you are not refering to those at the ground you mean to say that what people say on a messageboard or in the pub is stopping the team playing well.

Wow. :lol:

top post

I feel gutted more for people like you who spent good money and time going to watch that today, I almost went but decided that my limited time at home was more important, it was a cracking decision.

Guest Bramble OG

Anyone seen the player rateings onitv teletext - Goouch 3/10 Wouldnt say he played that badley, to give a defender 3/10 when we conceded no goals from open play is crazy!

Anyone seen the player rateings onitv teletext - Goouch 3/10 Wouldnt say he played that badley, to give a defender 3/10 when we conceded no goals from open play is crazy!

From Sky Sports http://home.skysports.com/matchratings.aspx?fxid=313462&clid=4&cpid=8

Shay Given, No fault with goal and made a couple of good saves 7

Steven Taylor, Tried his best 6 

Oguchi Onyewu, Lacked composure and conceded too many fouls 5

Titus Bramble, Shaky 5   

Paul Huntington, Okay 6

Nolberto Solano, Missed penalty and did not do enough 5

Scott Parker, Steady 6

Nicky Butt, Never gave up 6 

Damien Duff, One great cross for Martins, but did not offer enough 5 

Antoine Sibierski, Not his best day 5 

Obafemi Martins, A willing runner 6 

Charles N'Zogbia, (Sub) Tried hard 6 

James Milner, (Sub) Worked hard 6

Andrew Carroll, (Sub) Late entry 6 

top post

I feel gutted more for people like you who spent good money and time going to watch that today, I almost went but decided that my limited time at home was more important, it was a cracking decision.

i have not been as disheartened as i was today in an awful long time (man city away last jan to be precise).

I realy think we were that poor.

whats most alarming for me, is that we dont appear to have a style of our own, its often if they go long and ugly, we go long and ugly, if they try to pass, we try to pass.

today, was long and ugly, and we are fucking awful at it.

the fact that we are resulting to getting excited when the gooch takes a bolton like throw in shows how far we have fallen.

top post

i have not been as disheartened as i was today in an awful long time (man city away last jan to be precise).

I realy think we were that poor.

whats most alarming for me, is that we dont appear to have a style of our own, its often if they go long and ugly, we go long and ugly, if they try to pass, we try to pass.

today, was long and ugly, and we are f****** awful at it.

the fact that we are resulting to getting excited when the gooch takes a bolton like throw in shows how far we have fallen.

Top post

Can't say i am suprised

A really poor seconed half,with the only upside is Carroll putting in a decent peformence

My Ratings

Given 8 - My MOTM,fantastic saves all day and kept us in it

Taylor 6- Wasn't at his best,NOT a right back

Gooch 6-good in the air,poor everywhere else

Bramble 6-looked decent,nothing special.

Huntington 5- Poor,just kept giving the ball away to Wigan

Parker 6- Still not back to his last season's peformence

Butt 5-Hardly saw him playing today,him and parker shouldnt be in the same line-up

Solano 5- Missed a penalty,wasn't at his best

Duff 5- started well,but then did f*** all for the rest of the game,poor

Martins 7-just kept on running,seemed to be our only good outfield player

Sibreski 5- Actually forgot about him,very poor peformence despite winning a penalty

Subs:

Milner 6 - was a handfull,much better then nobby as our RW,poor cross in the last mins though

N'Zogbia 6- was far better then Duff as a LW,good to see him back

Carroll 6 - came late,decent peformence,nice shot and just needs to increase his strength because we don't want him to be the next Peter Crouch

Overall 6- Poor,average,predictable peformence,lets forget it and move on,but i blame Roeders line-up for this defeat

Given 8 - are you having a laugh? hid behind the wall for the goal, shocking distribution, never came for anything all afternoon, no communication eith his defenders.  he was absolutely shocking today mate

and parker 6 but butt 5?????  you have to be kidding, parker awful today, continually getting in everyones way and slowing the game down. 

Guest WalkervilleMag

Can't say i am suprised

A really poor seconed half,with the only upside is Carroll putting in a decent peformence

My Ratings

Given 8 - My MOTM,fantastic saves all day and kept us in it

Taylor 6- Wasn't at his best,NOT a right back

Gooch 6-good in the air,poor everywhere else

Bramble 6-looked decent,nothing special.

Huntington 5- Poor,just kept giving the ball away to Wigan

Parker 6- Still not back to his last season's peformence

Butt 5-Hardly saw him playing today,him and parker shouldnt be in the same line-up

Solano 5- Missed a penalty,wasn't at his best

Duff 5- started well,but then did f*** all for the rest of the game,poor

Martins 7-just kept on running,seemed to be our only good outfield player

Sibreski 5- Actually forgot about him,very poor peformence despite winning a penalty

Subs:

Milner 6 - was a handfull,much better then nobby as our RW,poor cross in the last mins though

N'Zogbia 6- was far better then Duff as a LW,good to see him back

Carroll 6 - came late,decent peformence,nice shot and just needs to increase his strength because we don't want him to be the next Peter Crouch

Overall 6- Poor,average,predictable peformence,lets forget it and move on,but i blame Roeders line-up for this defeat

------Given 8 - are you having a laugh? hid behind the wall for the goal, shocking distribution, never came for anything all afternoon, no communication eith his defenders.  he was absolutely shocking today mate-----

and parker 6 but butt 5?????  you have to be kidding, parker awful today, continually getting in everyones way and slowing the game down. 

you being serious about Given ?????

Nicky Butt is a fucking dumpling, misses the game against Charlton now because of his booking. (Sorry if this has already been discussed.)

And I know nobody played like Glenn Hoddle today, but his passing in particular was fucking disgraceful for a central midfielder. Feel a bit Grimbo here, but I'm sure there was a prolonged spell in the second half where he gave the ball away every single time he got it. I am getting near the stage of counting how many times he loses posession/gives the ball away/misplaces a pass, such is my utter frustration with our supposed "best player this season" ;D

He's vastly overrated, although I do acknowledge there were a lot of poor performances on show. Also, for an apparent defensive midfielder, did he once collect the ball deep from the centre-halves in the second half in an attempt to start off a move himself? I reckon it might have been extremely helpful, had he done so.

I hope to high heaven that N'Zogbia gets a run in the centre and makes the position his own, alongside Parker, until we can address this area in the summer. I know everyone is going on about getting fullbacks, centre-halves and strikers - but central midfield is becoming a massive headache from where I sit, if Emre is finished then we look utterly devoid of a ball-playing central midfielder and it is an absolutely ESSENTIAL part of Premiership football these days.

Christ, it's a bugger these days, isn't it? I've never known a time where so many of us on here have been so disillusioned with each and every player on our books. Is anyone exempt from criticism lately?

I can't help but feel that seeing the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal (along with most Spanish teams on Sky) playing some absolutely exquisite stuff every week is raising our expectations of how NUFC should play, it's a real pisser.

Christ, it's a bugger these days, isn't it? I've never known a time where so many of us on here have been so disillusioned with each and every player on our books. Is anyone exempt from criticism lately?

In fairness, some of the mindless vendettas against certain players hold no weight as 'criticism' or even 'opinion' anymore, they're just mindless vendettas.

In fairness, quite a few of what you might term "vendettas" are not completely without justification (however small)!

However, I do agree that too many of us are easily led onto the "he's fucking shite" bandwagon that a lot of our players seem to have, myself included.

It seems that in the post-Shearer era nobody is exempt from criticism, which is proving to be as much of a curse as a blessing so far!

In fairness, quite a few of what you might term "vendettas" are not completely without justification (however small)!

However, I do agree that too many of us are easily led onto the "he's fucking shite" bandwagon that a lot of our players seem to have, myself included.

It seems that in the post-Shearer era nobody is exempt from criticism, which is proving to be as much of a curse as a blessing so far!

All fair points [as per usual], but some of the criticism is ridiculous. Posters are more concerned with making a reputation on the board as being the "one" that eddies most viciously against mainstream opinion, than actual football matters themselves...! They don't realise how popular this trend is. :tongue:

The truth is, no one [bar Stephen Carr] is as bad as some of the players that people are describing! You'd think we were a Chelsea! "Replace our whole back line, otherwise we have no ambition!" :lol:

With regards to the CM issue, a lot hinges upon Emre's circumstance come summertime. I don't think anyone knows what's going on there.

Nicky Butt is a fucking dumpling, misses the game against Charlton now because of his booking. (Sorry if this has already been discussed.)

And I know nobody played like Glenn Hoddle today, but his passing in particular was fucking disgraceful for a central midfielder. Feel a bit Grimbo here, but I'm sure there was a prolonged spell in the second half where he gave the ball away every single time he got it. I am getting near the stage of counting how many times he loses posession/gives the ball away/misplaces a pass, such is my utter frustration with our supposed "best player this season" ;D

He's vastly overrated, although I do acknowledge there were a lot of poor performances on show. Also, for an apparent defensive midfielder, did he once collect the ball deep from the centre-halves in the second half in an attempt to start off a move himself? I reckon it might have been extremely helpful, had he done so.

I hope to high heaven that N'Zogbia gets a run in the centre and makes the position his own, alongside Parker, until we can address this area in the summer. I know everyone is going on about getting fullbacks, centre-halves and strikers - but central midfield is becoming a massive headache from where I sit, if Emre is finished then we look utterly devoid of a ball-playing central midfielder and it is an absolutely ESSENTIAL part of Premiership football these days.

I can't help but feel that seeing the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal (along with most Spanish teams on Sky) playing some absolutely exquisite stuff every week is raising our expectations of how NUFC should play, it's a real pisser.

These fucking pessimists, I'm bloody sick of them.

You bastard... out of interest, did you see anything positive from today?

I could have mentioned the return of N'Zogbia, Martins' improved running/passing, Sibierski's few moments of decent-ness... Damien Duff showing brief glimpses of class and being desperate for the ball while in excellent positions (despite never receiving it!) and a few other things.

It wasn't completely devoid of goodness. Nearly, like.

The truth is, no one [bar Stephen Carr] is as bad as some of the players that people are describing!

Yeah, that's the truth. :rolleyes: Would you seriously be happy for us to start next season relying on the likes of Babayaro, Ramage, Bramble etc as our first choice defenders? Are you sure you want to put up with that crap for much longer?

If you think I'm being demanding like a Man U, Arsenal or a Chelsea fan…. then I think your standards and expectations are as low as Hansa Rostock supporters.

You bastard... out of interest, did you see anything positive from today?

I could have mentioned the return of N'Zogbia, Martins' improved running/passing, Sibierski's few moments of decent-ness... Damien Duff showing brief glimpses of class and being desperate for the ball while in excellent positions (despite never receiving it!) and a few other things.

It wasn't completely devoid of goodness. Nearly, like.

Didn't think it was a bad first half at all, just a totally atrocious second. I think we'd have beat them if Nobby had buried the penalty. Won't be too harsh on him cos he's done well from the spot of late in important situations and it was not a poor penalty by any means, but I said to my mate as soon as we got it that I hoped he didn't go for the same spot yet again, which unfortunately he did. Ever since he missed at Middlesbrough when he hit the bar, I think he's gone for safety every single time he's taken a pen and banked on his ability to hit that bottom left hand corner with accuracy. Today it backfired.

Martins was a plus, as usual, when he was involved with the game - his backheel for Sibierski to win the penalty was absolutely sublime and when he won that header which he placed into the corner, well saved by Filan, my mate's face was a picture, pure amazement that he could jump so high. The boy's pure class imo. I'm delighted to see CN'Z back, cos I'm a big fan and I can't stand Duff, just in time too, cos in my household next week is the game of the season.

Weren't too many plusses though, thought we defended poorly and the service from the midfield was generally non-existant. The second half was as bad as we've been all season, when we go one down away from home, we look totally devoid of ideas or fight.

The truth is, no one [bar Stephen Carr] is as bad as some of the players that people are describing!

Yeah, that's the truth. :rolleyes: Would you seriously be happy for us to start next season relying on the likes of Babayaro, Ramage, Bramble etc as our first choice defenders? Are you sure you want to put up with that crap for much longer?

If you think I'm being demanding like a Man U, Arsenal or a Chelsea fan…. then I think your standards and expectations are as low as Hansa Rostock supporters.

Ramage isn't a first-choice defender. Baba should be replaced. Now comes your favourite Dinho Lad....

Can you read my signature? If you think that, that [amongst other things - such as eyesight, common sense, understanding of football] does not qualify Bramble as at least a fourth-choice centre back at the club, you're either a WUM or you have a mindless vendetta... or you think we're Chelsea... Pick.

So, that's one of the three that needs replacing. I would say we also need a new RB.

If you're going to say that you disagree with that Bramble passage above, are you going to tell me either, which and in what respect are four other centre-backs at the club better than Bramble, or, alternatively, which four centre-backs do you want to buy [and how do we get rid of our current batch]?