Shola's on the way back

sempuki

Definitely welcome back. Hearts always in my mouth when you see Martins go down because if he's out, we really are f*cked. Shola's never going to be a great but at least we know he can do a fair job if needed.

Makes you wonder why some think 15 million defenders is the priority.

Definitely welcome back. Hearts always in my mouth when you see Martins go down because if he's out, we really are f*cked. Shola's never going to be a great but at least we know he can do a fair job if needed.

Won't be the case next season anyway, we'll have plenty of strikers.

I want us to get a striker, i just don't want us to spend multitudes of cash on one because we don't need to. The multitudes of cash, if we really have it, should be spent on the defense.

I want us to get a striker, i just don't want us to spend multitudes of cash on one because we don't need to. The multitudes of cash, if we really have it, should be spent on the defense.

mackems.gif

Only if we sign some. We've only got two right now and only one of them is fit.

mackems.gif

Erm. Owen, Martins, Carroll, Ameobi, Sibierski (and we might buy another in the summer). That's 5.

Maths not your strongest subject?

Shola is fine. It's just that his shortcomings are a lot more noticable than his strenghts, which makes him an easy target for a lot of people. (I'll fully admit that when I'm right pissed about a match result, Shola is one of the first I stake blame on.)

He's got good strength, technique (other than that inexplicable first touch), and is probably the best natural finisher on our squad save Owen.

He never lived up to the potential a lot of people thought he had, but he's just about everything you can ask for from a reliable backup striker.

It's easy to forget that this was once a player who had both England and Nigeria up in arms to secure his international services.

Good player Shola, very underrated because of the fact he was utter s*** a few years back. He's really improved, certainly good enough as 3rd/4th choice.

Ok

Jesus Christ... what the hell do you want as your third/fourth choice striker?

Ameobi is a more than capable player. He's not brilliant, certainly not worthy of starting as many games as he has done over the past couple of years, but he's got good enough ability to be a back-up striker when needed. Better than a lot of 3rd/4th choice strikers in the Premiership.

PS... I'm assuming that your reply was like a sarcastic one, otherwise i've gone off on one for no reason.

And, to your laughing emoticon regarding the number of strikers.

Obafemi Martins

Michael Owen

Kieron Dyer

Shola Ameobi

Antoine Sibierski

And Andrew Carroll, who you would feel Roeder sees something in, because he wouldn't have made the squad this many times - despite injuries.

Plus, Duff, Emre, Milner can all play an advanced role.

Luque will probably still be here aswell. :lol:

We're bound to get injuries, but if they're on the scale as what we've witnessed this season, it'll be a big coincidence.

Guest Sniffer

Ameobi has a poor first touch.

Ameobi can't head a ball to save his life.

Ameobi is slow.

Ameobi doesn't exactly have a rocket in either foot.

Ameobi is invariably offside.

Ameobi never takes a direct route to goal when he is put through.

As we have seen evidence of all of these shortcomingd time and time again, what exactly are his attributes?

Ameobi is slow.

As we have seen evidence of all of these shortcomingd time and time again, what exactly are his attributes?

Take out the slow bit, and it sounds like Dyer. ;)

Ameobi is slow.

Cant really remember, but how did Shola score 2 goals before Emre's goal?  :idiot2:

Ameobi is slow.

Cant really remember, but how did Shola score 2 goals before Emre's goal?  :idiot2:

Steve Caldwell got the first tbh.

Ameobi is slow.

He is strong

He is good with his back to goal

He is a decent finisher

He has very good footwork once he's navigated himself around his first touch

He is a general presence in the box

He can hold the ball up well

Shola's downfall, largely, is how we play. He could have forged a really good partnership with Oba this season, but whenever Shola or Sibierski play - Glenn feels inclined to play the idiotic long ball, simply because we have a big man upfront. Ameobi would benefit if we played the ball on the floor - because his footwork is good and he can bring players into play.

I don't think he's good enough but:

1) He's always looked better without Shearer alongside him

2) He has looked good under Roeder, but then everybody did at the tail end of last season

3) He's been playing with a knackered hip for at least a year, so let's see how he goes now that it's "fixed"

Shola isn't good enough to be first choice, he's more than good enough to be cover.

Pretty much sums it up.

I don't know what people want from our back-ups, and I can't see how getting defenders can't be the priority this summer.

Shola gets a lot of stick for a number of reasons

- He appears awkward on the ball, has some horrible touches at times and often seems to play in a half-assed manner. For a guy his size he also gets outmuscled far too much.

- Familiarity breeds contempt. We've seen Shola in the team for so long, and he has never seemed to develop his game and improve into a good all-round player as many hoped he would. It's natural we'll get frustrated.

- We've been told countless times by our last three managers, and Shola himself, that Shola is just about to come good, and yet he never does. It's irritating.

But if some people can look past their apparent hatred of the guy then they'll see he's easily good enough to be one our two back-up strikers next season, with Martins and Owen up front.

We're not a Top 4 side at the moment, we can't expect to have 4 top class stikers in our squad. If we can get a decent striker for a reasonable fee in the summer then I'll be happy going into next season with Owen and Martins as our primary striking options, and Shola competing with our new recruit for the 3rd place spot. Dyer could also do a job there if he stays fit.

That will leave us to spend money where it's actually needed, on a top class CM and some defenders.

Ameobi is slow.

He is strong

He is good with his back to goal

He is a decent finisher

He is a general presence in the box

He can hold the ball up well

He has average strength and finishing,he is our Peter Crouch,only worst

He was good last season but that dosn't hide the fact that he has been shit since the first game he played with us..

Guest smoggeordie

Ameobi is slow.

Steve Caldwell got the first tbh.

Second tbh

Guest JamesD

very underrated part of him , imo.

mackems.gif

Erm. Owen, Martins, Carroll, Ameobi, Sibierski (and we might buy another in the summer). That's 5.

Maths not your strongest subject?

Erm. Carr, Bramble, Ramage, Moore, Babayaro, Taylor, Edgar, Huntingdon, Solano and Gooch on loan. That's 10 defenders and there are probably more on the way.

Scoring goals is the most difficult thing to do in football and we need more than two strikers who can either score goals or who can infuence the play and create goals for others in the team. Without both Owen and Martins we are knackered. With everyone else fit we can get by even with Carr, Bramble, Moore, Babayaro across the back and we wouldn't be relegated next season. Without Owen and Martins we will struggle for goals and could go down no matter who is across the back four.

That's a serious response to your slightly sarcastic post by the way. I wonder if you might be able to debate the point I'm making, perhaps you can tell me why you think we'd score goals with say, a striking partnership of Carroll and Sibierski? This is entirely possible as all it would need right now would be an injury to Martins.

Good player Shola, very underrated because of the fact he was utter s*** a few years back. He's really improved, certainly good enough as 3rd/4th choice.

Ok

Jesus Christ... what the hell do you want as your third/fourth choice striker?

Ameobi is a more than capable player. He's not brilliant, certainly not worthy of starting as many games as he has done over the past couple of years, but he's got good enough ability to be a back-up striker when needed. Better than a lot of 3rd/4th choice strikers in the Premiership.

PS... I'm assuming that your reply was like a sarcastic one, otherwise i've gone off on one for no reason.

And, to your laughing emoticon regarding the number of strikers.

Obafemi Martins

Michael Owen

Kieron Dyer

Shola Ameobi

Antoine Sibierski

And Andrew Carroll, who you would feel Roeder sees something in, because he wouldn't have made the squad this many times - despite injuries.

Plus, Duff, Emre, Milner can all play an advanced role.

Luque will probably still be here aswell. :lol:

We're bound to get injuries, but if they're on the scale as what we've witnessed this season, it'll be a big coincidence.

The "ok" to Ally was an acknowledgement of his opinion. I might have guessed some might not get it but I do think Ally will have been ok with it. However, I edited it now anyway. Just for clarity like.

The sarcastic post was from Mel, but you missed that. I answered it properly anyway just above this one.

It's my opinion we have 2 strikers, Owen and Martins. It's yours that we have a shitload, so we don't agree. If Martins and Owen are injured at the same time we will see who is right, won't we.