Newcastle 4 - 2 AZ Alkmaar - Post Match Thoughts

Dave

I can't face us getting knocked out now. It really, really will break my heart.

From this position - it's unimaginable. But Alkmaar are a fantastic side on their home patch, without a doubt. Argh. I can't face even thinking about it. There's not an awful lot that hurt me more than when Sporting knocked us out, i can't bare to see it happen again. If we get past Alkmaar i'll be insanely confident.

Getting beaten 2-0 away from home by a better team and mananger isn't exactly unimaginable. Infact, I'd have AZ as slight favourites.

i think we are a better team to be honest, its just that most of our players underperform

can't believe that is up for debate tbh

im probably being stupid here but does that mean you agree with me or think im talkin shit ;)

agree with you

From this position - it's unimaginable. But Alkmaar are a fantastic side on their home patch, without a doubt. Argh. I can't face even thinking about it. There's not an awful lot that hurt me more than when Sporting knocked us out, i can't bare to see it happen again. If we get past Alkmaar i'll be insanely confident.

Getting beaten 2-0 away from home by a better team and mananger isn't exactly unimaginable. Infact, I'd have AZ as slight favourites.

i think we are a better team to be honest, its just that most of our players underperform

I disagree completely. We have a very poor 'team' and if it wasn't for the quality of our individual players, we'd be in a relegation battle.

Ah i can't be fucked with this.

Whatever mate.

Beat one of the top teams in Europe at the moment 4-2 and we're still abnormally shit. Suit yourself pal.

It was a good win, and I know whingers will only get whinged at after a win, but deep down im still not happy. The reason is that it was a typical English-club-in-Europe style win - get completely outplayed and dominated by a technically superior side, but individual ability, stronger finishing and taking chances on the day being the difference against an individually inferior team (their entire squad is probably worth two or three of our best players).

Why cant we simply pass the ball like them? Alot of their players were pretty s*** individually imo, yet they kept possession like it was as easy for them as breathing. We, on the other hand, struggle to string together 3 passes, and thats when were not looking to instantly pump it forward to the striker.

Its great when were winning, but the major problem is that if we cant keep the ball, we'll get knocked out by a side with a more organised defence. Its something we HAVE to improve if we're seriously looking to win this thing, and I hope this win today doesnt detract from it.

I disagree completely. We have a very poor 'team' and if it wasn't for the quality of our individual players, we'd be in a relegation battle.

Ah i can't be fucked with this.

Whatever mate.

Beat one of the top teams in Europe at the moment 4-2 and we're still abnormally shit. Suit yourself pal.

What.

'One of the top teams in Europe at the moment' is what i said.

Which isn't far from the truth. They're playing fecking damn well nowadays.

Say what you like Nate, pal. There's no pleasing some people.

i think we have a better team of players performing below their abilities whereas they have worse players playing to their ability.

Thing is, and especially if we overcome Alkmaar, i feel that we deserve to win this competition. Or atleast get to the final.

You look at the f****** s*** that Boro played. Litex. Xanthi. Stuttgart. Basel. Steaua in the f****** semi-final. It's sickening really isn't it. And then you look at the teams that we've played, and beaten.

Fenerbahce - best side in Turkey. Palermo - top of Serie A at the time. Celta Vigo - not great but a famous Spanish side. Then AZ Alkmaar - the top scorers of the whole of Europe. We've done remarkably well this year, when you look at our squad and our injury situation.

We deserve this.

GOD i hope we knock them out. I want this competition more than any other.

I agree. This match was fantastic, yes their 2nd goal was a sickener but s*** happens. We'll score over there and they'll have to be unreal to beat us there.

As always, one game at a time but our injury situation is improving and I can see a 'catch them on the break' type game over there..........winning this cup would be outstanding. Keep Oba fit, Sibi fresh and Dyer out of trouble and we can change our tactics to suit the game over there fine.

Bring em on!

Do they have a game between now and then? I know we have a week to get frest and match fit for Emre and the Zog.

I think they've got Feyenoord on Sunday.

Ah i can't be f***** with this.

Whatever mate.

Beat one of the top teams in Europe at the moment 4-2 and we're still abnormally s***. Suit yourself pal.

What.

You're saying a team that is 2nd in their league and has scored more goals than any other team in Europe isn't one of the best European teams atm?

You try too hard to be like Northen Monkey.

It was a good win, and I know whingers will only get whinged at after a win, but deep down im still not happy. The reason is that it was a typical English-club-in-Europe style win - get completely outplayed and dominated by a technically superior side, but individual ability, stronger finishing and taking chances on the day being the difference against an individually inferior team (their entire squad is probably worth two or three of our best players).

Why cant we simply pass the ball like them? Alot of their players were pretty s*** individually imo, yet they kept possession like it was as easy for them as breathing. We, on the other hand, struggle to string together 3 passes, and thats when were not looking to instantly pump it forward to the striker.

Its great when were winning, but the major problem is that if we cant keep the ball, we'll get knocked out by a side with a more organised defence. Its something we HAVE to improve if we're seriously looking to win this thing, and I hope this win today doesnt detract from it.

Agree 100% mate, I've said for a while that we need to move on the technically inept players we have at the back and in CM and replace them with players who are comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Guest optimistic nit

i see what you mean lyke, but what do you expect from roeder. its (backroom staff) not going to get any better in my opinion, so i think it was a great performance

the hardest part for us is, do we go out there and pack the defence to go for a 0-0 or do we chase a goal to make us safe.

bramble was pretty much quality tonight, i think hes benefiting from the competition for places tbh.

SOLANO    TAYLOR    BRAMBLE    ZOG/DUFF?

PARKER       BUTT 

MILNER               DYER             EMRE/DUFF

MARTINS

that would see us keeping the score down imo, with good opportunity to nick one on a counter

the hardest part for us is, do we go out there and pack the defence to go for a 0-0 or do we chase a goal to make us safe.

bramble was pretty much quality tonight, i think hes benefiting from the competition for places tbh.

SOLANO    TAYLOR    BRAMBLE    ZOG?

PARKER      BUTT 

MILNER              DYER            EMRE/DUFF

MARTINS

that would see us keeping the score down imo

Same team, but with the Zog instead of Duff.

Is it true that there was under 30,000 there?  Soccernet say's 28,500?  I suppose I shouldn't be shocked by this, but it was potentially our last game in Europe at St. James for some time? 

Yeah i was surprised aswell.

I've just got back, the first half an hour was easily the greatest half an hour of the season at St. James' this season. The Toon Ultras led the whole stadium in making noise and the goals were flying in but Alkmaar always looked likely to create something, the guy behind me raised the point when it was 4-1 that he was surprised Alkmaar were still attacking, they just seemed to take it all in their stride and kept going. Pen seemed harsh and nobody in the stadium was happy with the decision it seemed but nevermind. Also Dyer seemed knackered after an hour so we were pretty sure Milner would replace him, but off went the Sib and any hopes of keeping the ball disappeared because it was hoofed to Milner everytime and it just kept coming back at us. Martins was unlucky with his chance for the 5th he went for the megs and got it marginally wrong, it hit the inside of the keeper's leg.

I have no doubt Alkmaar will score at least twice over there I think the only question is can we match that..

Is it true that there was under 30,000 there?  Soccernet say's 28,500?  I suppose I shouldn't be shocked by this, but it was potentially our last game in Europe at St. James for some time? 

Yeah i was surprised aswell.

Really? I wasn't.

Idiotic prices on a cold, rainy night when it's on tele anyway.

Lower the prices and the crowds will come.

if you watch Faner game over in AZ Alkmaar they had 4 or 5 clear cut chances in a 2nd Leg and were the better side in both ties (chances wise)

there is no doubt in my mind we will score at least 1 or 2 goals with Obafemi Martins

which means they will need at least 3 or 4 goals

they should be died and buried at 4 v 1 but the Ref has now made the second leg interesting and has given AZ Alkmaar a chance