Newcastle 4 - 2 AZ Alkmaar - Post Match Thoughts

Dave

and carr was pooh.

please be joking, what did he do wrong?

What did he do right? Didn't attack well and watched his marker far too much.

Definately think we will score out there, they seem s*** scared of our pace. Start with the Zog next game mind.

i think you are critisizing him because of who he is. He had a steady game, did his job.

I can't face us getting knocked out now. It really, really will break my heart.

From this position - it's unimaginable. But Alkmaar are a fantastic side on their home patch, without a doubt. Argh. I can't face even thinking about it. There's not an awful lot that hurt me more than when Sporting knocked us out, i can't bare to see it happen again. If we get past Alkmaar i'll be insanely confident.

The way they set up we will definately score at least 1 over there. From then it will be very unlikely we will lose! (Fingers crossed!)

Not too disappointed really, delighted tbh. I know they're in it a lot more with only a 2 goal deficit but I still fancy us to go through. We score an early goal, keep it tight till half-time and I'll reckon we'll be safe. I know what happened at Lisbon but let's just hope that'll not happen again for a long time. Got a good feeling about this.

Sibi, Dyer, Solano and Oba were really excellent in the first half. 2nd half defence looked a bit dodgy but Alkmaar are a good team going forward. Think we can get at least one goal in Holland. It's a shame Gooch can't play in the Uefa, Glen needs to start trying to pick a consistent back four the best he can, the goals we lose come from indecisions.

From this position - it's unimaginable. But Alkmaar are a fantastic side on their home patch, without a doubt. Argh. I can't face even thinking about it. There's not an awful lot that hurt me more than when Sporting knocked us out, i can't bare to see it happen again. If we get past Alkmaar i'll be insanely confident.

Pre-Lisbon I would be confident  about us going through. However knowing we can concede 4 goals in 35 minutes with virtually the same defence always has me thinking we are 1 mistake away from capitulation.

Thing is, and especially if we overcome Alkmaar, i feel that we deserve to win this competition. Or atleast get to the final.

You look at the fucking shit that Boro played. Litex. Xanthi. Stuttgart. Basel. Steaua in the fucking semi-final. It's sickening really isn't it. And then you look at the teams that we've played, and beaten.

Fenerbahce - best side in Turkey. Palermo - top of Serie A at the time. Celta Vigo - not great but a famous Spanish side. Then AZ Alkmaar - the top scorers of the whole of Europe. We've done remarkably well this year, when you look at our squad and our injury situation.

We deserve this.

GOD i hope we knock them out. I want this competition more than any other.

Guest feanfan

I am the first to congratulate you guys!! I think I saw a terrific game of the side of NUFC. A deserved win! Despite of all your preview comments they played very good I think. Cant believe they are at 11th place at the moment!

It must be said AZ didnt even came close to their level, I see them every week, I know how they play, therefor I thought NUFC would face a though game, but nothing of that!!

The goalie, Boy Waterman, didnt go free with the first 2 goals, not the goals itself, but the way he brought the ball into the play :undecided: Well, I know him very well, he was our second goalkeeper till Van Gaal decided to bring him to the DSB Stadium. He believes in him, I never did!! We have Vandebussche and I am very happy with him. I think Boy will not make it, it is because of the injuries with AZ he may play, but I think he is not capable (yet) to play at this level. I think he is not giving his defence enough trust. First goal was an unfortunate own goal, but the action before the assist was beautiful it self, it was worth a goal. The penalty given was not correct, but cause of this I think AZ is not defeated yet. I think the chances NUFC got, were goals, so very efficient!!!! AZ had their chances too, but I think Given had at least 2 terrific saves!

To win 2-0 at home is difficult for AZ, but not impossible.

For NUFC it is important to score! They are with one leg in the next round I think....but we shall see after the match next week.

I think we missed Sibierski's presence when he went off - not a lot was sticking up top after that and their centre backs got too much time on the ball.

Good all round performance though.  We'll need to score at least once over there but after seeing their defence I don't think that'll be a problem.

all of this

Thing is, and especially if we overcome Alkmaar, i feel that we deserve to win this competition. Or atleast get to the final.

You look at the f****** s*** that Boro played. Litex. Xanthi. Stuttgart. Basel. Steaua in the f****** semi-final. It's sickening really isn't it. And then you look at the teams that we've played, and beaten.

Fenerbahce - best side in Turkey. Palermo - top of Serie A at the time. Celta Vigo - not great but a famous Spanish side. Then AZ Alkmaar - the top scorers of the whole of Europe. We've done remarkably well this year, when you look at our squad and our injury situation.

We deserve this.

i love the passion! i would love it if we won the cup...

Getting beaten 2-0 away from home by a better team and manager isn't exactly unimaginable. In fact, I'd have AZ as slight favourites.

You look at the fucking shit that Boro played. Litex. Xanthi. Stuttgart. Basel. Steaua in the fucking semi-final. It's sickening really isn't it. And then you look at the teams that we've played, and beaten.

We deserve this.

I agree. This match was fantastic, yes their 2nd goal was a sickener but shit happens. We'll score over there and they'll have to be unreal to beat us there.

As always, one game at a time but our injury situation is improving and I can see a 'catch them on the break' type game over there..........winning this cup would be outstanding. Keep Oba fit, Sibi fresh and Dyer out of trouble and we can change our tactics to suit the game over there fine.

Bring em on!

Getting beaten 2-0 away from home by a better team and mananger isn't exactly unimaginable. Infact, I'd have AZ as slight favourites.

i think we are a better team to be honest, its just that most of our players underperform

You look at the f****** s*** that Boro played. Litex. Xanthi. Stuttgart. Basel. Steaua in the f****** semi-final. It's sickening really isn't it. And then you look at the teams that we've played, and beaten.

We deserve this.

i love the passion! i would love it if we won the cup...

It's true. I've just grown a massive appetite for this competition - simply because we've looked capable of winning it each time. We just have to. Like i say, nothing hurt me more than the Sporting debarcle - i'm only 15 so didn't properly understand the 12-point-lead thing, so Lisbon was just heartbreaking.

Then you look at what Boro did and i was just immensely bitter.

I want this so much!

Getting beaten 2-0 away from home by a better team and mananger isn't exactly unimaginable. Infact, I'd have AZ as slight favourites.

i think we are a better team to be honest, its just that most of our players underperform

can't believe that is up for debate tbh

We deserve this.

I agree. This match was fantastic, yes their 2nd goal was a sickener but s*** happens. We'll score over there and they'll have to be unreal to beat us there.

As always, one game at a time but our injury situation is improving and I can see a 'catch them on the break' type game over there..........winning this cup would be outstanding. Keep Oba fit, Sibi fresh and Dyer out of trouble and we can change our tactics to suit the game over there fine.

Bring em on!

Do they have a game between now and then? I know we have a week to get frest and match fit for Emre and the Zog.

Getting beaten 2-0 away from home by a better team and manager isn't exactly unimaginable. Infact, I'd have AZ as slight favourites.

Fuck's sake. :rolleyes:

OK, i apologise. Basically, what i mean was that i can't bare to imagine it. It's just rotten to think of.

AZ favourites though? You're giving them too much credit...

Have faith.

im probably being stupid here but does that mean you agree with me or think im talkin shit ;)

btw could you please change your Oba-o-meter to about 30m now, k thx ;)

I disagree completely. We have a very poor 'team' and if it wasn't for the quality of our individual players, we'd be in a relegation battle.