Pre-season

James

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=boot-camp%26method=full%26objectid=18734567%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Boot camp

Mar 10 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United have turned their backs on a glamour friendly with David Beckham and Los Angeles Galaxy - for a boot camp in Scandinavia.

United have found themselves very much in demand in the close season - especially in Asia - but Glenn Roeder is not in favour and the manager will instead take his first-team squad to a training camp, probably in Denmark.

This has shades of the Aussie cricket team in preparation for the Ashes when, while England preened themselves and wrote their autobiographies, Ricky Ponting's men toughed it out at a boot camp - and everyone knows the result.

United were invited to take part in the Peace Cup in Korea for a seven-figure sum to have another crack at the Asia Cup and a tour of Japan.

In addition, there was talk of United playing Los Angeles Galaxy as part of the Beckham circus.

But United chairman Freddy Shepherd told me today: "The manager wasn't keen on any of these but wanted to take his first-team squad away to a training camp in Northern Europe, and that's what we'll be doing.

"Certainly, considering the injuries we've had this season, the better we prepare for next season the more chance we have of avoiding all this."

While there will be no long-haul trip, United will still be involved in a couple of glamour friendlies before the start of next season, with two teams who have played Champions' League football in the current campaign coming to St James' Park.

And United could yet take part in a prestigious competition a lot closer to home on the Continent.

In addition, two local League sides will be invited to play at St James' Park, and last season's highly-successful open day will be repeated.

United will not finalise their pre-season plans until they find out whether or not they are going to be involved in the InterToto Cup again in the middle of July.

United's immediate plans are Thursday's trip to Holland for the return with AZ Alkmaar in their DSB stadium for a place in the last eight of the UEFA Cup. The game is already a sell-out for the Dutch fans in the new 17,000-capacity stadium.

United will fly to Amsterdam on Wednesday morning and return straight after the game to prepare for Sunday's game with Charlton Athletic at The Valley.

Charlton striker Darren Bent, who has just returned to Alan Pardew's side, has again picked up a knock on his knee in training yesterday and faces a fight to be fit for the visit of United.

And United will already have noted that Arsenal striker Thierry Henry is out for the rest of the season in view of the Gunners' visit to St James' Park on Easter Monday.

Good to see Shepherd say no to a seven-figure sum in favour of some decent preparation.

Guest Ridzuan

As much as I agree that the more friendly trips we have,the chances of our players getting injured is more but I think the club should organize more trips to Asia.I know they have been to Asia recently,but that was long time ago when Sir Bobby was still the manager.People like me dont have the money to go all the way to Newcastle to watch a match,so the least the club could do is to visit here.

Non competitive games is what they need, and if we do end up in the Intertoto again next season then a good old team trip to Denmark would be great, get them closer as a squad and let them have a fun time.

Good to see Shepherd say no to a seven-figure sum in favour of some decent preparation.

Is this the first time he's missed the chance of a few quick £'s?

Maybe he's seen the negative results of putting money before the good of the club, it is good to see a change in priorities with the possibility of the team coming first, it's a start.

This has shades of the Aussie cricket team in preparation for the Ashes when, while England preened themselves and wrote their autobiographies, Ricky Ponting's men toughed it out at a boot camp - and everyone knows the result.

You know what this means - lump on for the title next season, lads!

Great to hear that a couple of big name sides are coming again. I enjoyed the PSV/Villerreal games; they pulled in some crowds and generated a decent game or two. And preparation-wise, it's better than playing Nuneaton and Scarborough.

Nevertheless, i like the sounds of the local team invites.

I'm pretty sure we do, but the same thing isn't true in the Champions League.

Other way round.

Winners of the Champions League automatically qualify.

UEFA Cup winners do not.

Surley when they changed the rule for the scouse then changed it for the UEFA cup? How can the winner of the CL automatically qualify but not the winners of the UEFA cup?

Could complain like the scouse did if we win it and thats the case.

Other way round.

UEFA Cup winners do not.

Surley when they changed the rule for the scouse then changed it for the UEFA cup? How can the winner of the CL automatically qualify but not the winners of the UEFA cup?

Could complain like the scouse did if we win it and thats the case.

do we have that victim mentality to go about it like the scousers though ?

Guest smoggeordie

Other way round.

UEFA Cup winners do not.

Think you're wrong mate. Remember the bin dippers hoo har?

Other way round.

UEFA Cup winners do not.

Surley when they changed the rule for the scouse then changed it for the UEFA cup?

No rule was changed. In the Champions League, the victor has always qualified for the following competition. However, from England, only four teams maximum could qualify. It was a rarety that the winner that particular year, Liverpool, didn't finish in the Top 4. Everton did instead.

That was where the controversy spread from.

Guest smoggeordie

Other way round.

UEFA Cup winners do not.

Surley when they changed the rule for the scouse then changed it for the UEFA cup?

No rule was changed. In the Champions League, the victor has always qualified for the following competition. However, from England, only four teams maximum could qualify. It was a rarety that the winner that particular year, Liverpool, didn't finish in the Top 4. Everton did instead.

Ok, but i'm pretty sure that waffa cup winners qualify. Hence all the media saying its the best chance we have of playing in Europe next year.

Other way round.

UEFA Cup winners do not.

Ok, but i'm pretty sure that waffa cup winners qualify. Hence all the media saying its the best chance we have of playing in Europe next year.

Like i say, not sure.

This suggests otherwise, from the official UEFA site:

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/format/index.html

First two subheadings.

The worst news about this is that it looks like Roeder will still be the manager next season. Hooray for continuing mediocrity.

My thoughts exactly.

oh dear. The 3rd sister is back.

Stand by for more copying and pasting.

Have you dished the dirt on the club to london scumbag journo's lately ?