Rooney or Martins?

Guest kebabstylee
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest kebabstylee

This stemmed from a pub argument with my mate who is a ManUre supporter. Obviously there is going to be bias involved from both sides, but for me, if someone offered me a straight swap of Rooney for Martins, I would turn it down. Martins is quicker, at least as strong, better at using both feet, and can score from anywhere. In my opinion they are both very similar players, but Martins' pace and finishing just edges it for me. So, who would you have, given the choice?

Just imagine the hype that would surround Martins and Berbatov if they were English, it would be mental.

I would say Martins but then i think Rooney is hugely overrated so that isn't saying a great deal. :thup:

As much as i love Martins i would pick Rooney. He could go on to be an all time great he is that good. Martins has the potential to be one of the best strikers in the world if he works on his all around game, but Rooney has the ability to be one of the very best there has been. He doesn't get enough goals at the minute but he is such a clever player, and another key point is he has proven to have a good partnership alongside Owen.

Tough one tbh, I rate Rooney very highly and his footballing brain is very good. Start of the season I would have laughed at you even suggesting it because it would have clearly been Rooney but Martins has a lot to his game and more than others are prepared to acknowledge. People often talk about him like he is just about goals but he has a fair few assists to his name aswell.

Both still have a lot of work to do and I really couldn't make the choice. If they both manage to improve on the poorer sides of their game (and thats a big IF) they will both be world class players (and some people know I don't use that term easily)

As much as i love Martins i would pick Rooney. He could go on to be an all time great he is that good.

Then why does he play crap 9 games out of 10?

If Rooney wasn't English he would be seen by everyone as a decent player who is hugely over-rated.

Guest BillyRay Valentine

is this some kind of joke?

either that or i've just dropped some powerful acid

the roon may be going through a not-so-good patch but just watch his first touch, his vision, his awareness and tell me he's not touched by genius. martins is a great player don't get me wrong, but the roon operates on a different level

He is still young and on form is amazing but Rooney certainly seems to have extended periods of not doing very well. Martins is a bit inconsistant from game to game but Rooney seems to go through sometimes months of struggling. Has he scored yet in the CL since 2004? I know he isn't an out and out goalscorer but thats quite a spell.

Rooney is a very special player but needs to do it a lot more to be as good as he is made out to be most of the time.

Guest Gemmill

Seriously people, have a fucking word with yourselves.  This is the sort of shit you take the piss out of Spurs fans for when they say that Robinson is better than Given. 

Rooney every time, and twice on Sunday.

Guest Gemmill

Rooney by a fucking mile.

Agreed.  It's not even close.

I'm happy enough with Martins, but the way some people go on about him is ridiculous.

I don't understand the praise this guy gets. Yeah he's scored a few spectacular goals, but he's not that consistent and in the big games he's never really done owt. I can understand he plays for a team that is desperate for a forward to do well and their fans are only going to talk-him-up, but to compare him with a great player like Obafemi Martins? Come off it  :uglystupid2: ;D

Seriously tho, I don't think Rooney is that hot but Martins has a way to go. I think he's a really good player to watch but he looks like he can trap it further than Rooney can kick it sometimes.

How about: Martins or Berbatov?

Strikers in the Prem I would take over Rooney;

Henry

Van Persie

Drogba

Shevchenko

Martins

Owen

Berbatov

Tevez

Yakubu

Anelka

:lol: Is this the same Rooney that i've been watching? All of those are quality players, but he's better than most of them.

Henry

Van Persie

Drogba

Shevchenko

Martins

Owen

Berbatov

Tevez

Yakubu

Anelka

I agree with all those apart from maybe Tevez and Anelka but that's to do with him being a dick more than his footballing ability.

Guest Gemmill

Henry

Van Persie

Drogba

Shevchenko

Martins

Owen

Berbatov

Tevez

Yakubu

Anelka

:lol: Is this the same Rooney that i've been watching? All of those are quality players, but he's better than most of them.

It all makes sense now why scottass was such a big proponent of Luque.  He's clueless. :lol:

Guest Gemmill

Does this thread remind anyone else of gg-chat?

Aye, I made the same point mate.  It's exactly the stuff that people take the piss out of the Spurs fans for.

Who wants to start the Steven Taylor or John Terry poll?