AZ Alkmaar 2 - 0 Newcastle United (Agg 4 - 4) - Post match thoughts

Dave

Our only tactic seemed to be to hoof the ball long to Sibierski. He won plenty of headers but they mopped up the resulting balls quite easily. I think AZ were quite happy to see us continue to play like that.

On the day, we just weren't good enough in all departments. Can't complain about the result. All of the back four played poorly, not just Bramble.

Part timers? AZ are a better team han us

We have better players they have a better manager.

Roeder got it wrong tactically, if we went over and attacked to get a goal from the off it would have been a better game and we would have had a better chance.

I've always said that Roeder deserves a little more time but now we should get a really good manager in ASAP for next season.

Guest hagler

Look on the bright side....Goodfellas is on in half an hour

yes im going to watch it and picture roeder when they smash that blokes face in

tbh Roeder should have ahad the balls to play 443 from the start, we ripped them to shreds when we played them at st.james' a shame that we lost an awful performance, woeful, but we had three great chances too. however Alkmaar > Newcastle on the night. Huntington is fucking awful should have played zog/duff at left back from the start.

Guest Geordie_krispy

to be brutally honest, Roeder should be ashamed of that shower that was on the pitch tonight, plus what the calls "tactics".  I mean c'mon their wingers were running us ragged, so what does he do... he takes off the only winger (yes he's playing like he got a football-phobia) that's playing in position on the pitch, if you're going to take a midfielder off take off parker or butt, THEY DON'T WORK TOGETHER! Not even if you're leading by 4 goals.... oh wait....

It feels like the old england gerard/lampard debate but on a sunday park kick around skill level compared to them.

Guest magpies_rawk

Part timers? AZ are a better team han us

We have better players they have a better manager.

Roeder got it wrong tactically, if we went over and attacked to get a goal from the off it would have been a better game and we would have had a better chance.

I've always said that Roeder deserves a little more time but now we should get a really good manager in ASAP for next season.

i'm not that keen on changing yet another manager simply because there isn't anyone else in the market now. sigh... perhaps its better for the team to pick itself rather than allow Roeder to make any decisions.

Our only tactic seemed to be to hoof the ball long to Sibierski. He won plenty of headers but they mopped up the resulting balls quite easily. I think AZ were quite happy to see us continue to play like that.

On the day, we just weren't good enough in all departments. Can't complain about the result. All of the back four played poorly, not just Bramble.

Agree, and it was depressing as fuck when Roeder made his tactical change, simply using Sib as a target man and putting dyer and martins either side attemping to win knock ons. everything good we did in the first leg came from passing it around, flicks and tricks, good diagonal runs and through-balls, and we didn't even try that tonight, in fact we deliberately by-passed the part of the team that provide these things.

Guest Geordiesned

Just agreed with Andy Townsend for the first time in my life. He said something like, "If Newcastle don't sign someone to organise their defence they'll shoot themselves in the foot year after year."

A truely shocking performance from every man on the pitch. I can't believe the club are talking about giving Bramble a new contract. Everything about his showing tonight shows why he should be told to fuck off. The only person who did come out of the game with a little bit of credit was Siba who won just about everything in the air. He was just as bad as everyone else with the ball at his feet hough and even when he did win the ball in the air the rest of the team were too fucking slow to realise he was going to win it and were subsequently on their heals.

As said before, seaon over. I'm not particularly looking forward to Charlton on Sunday now.

Guest Phil K

Van Gaal for the toon tbh.

u gotta be kidding me

Van Gaal is a crafty talented manager.

Roeder is neither.

I'd go for Houllier though.

We'll get hammered on Sunday too. Charlton are playing with heart and passion, sure to shock our bunch of gutless tits.

Guest magpies_rawk

Van Gaal for the toon tbh.

u gotta be kidding me

f*** off, just f*** off with protecting Roeder again for the umpteenth time.

i'm not. its just that i dun like the idea of LVG. besides, who can we get now? wait for curbs to get the sack?

Guest magpies_rawk

i blame souness! :'(

True, but the man REALLY to blame is Fat B*stardo.

ya...deeeeeeeep down, it really is souness' fault yeah?

Guest elbee909

tbh Roeder should have ahad the balls to play 443 from the start

I doubt even playing an extra man illegally would have saved us ;)