Positives of this season.

Guest TheOrder

Guest TheOrder

Obafemi Martins. Although, not the finished article, Obafemi Martins has definatly increased in value, and shown he can score, and play well in the Premiership. He took a while to adapt, but after few months, we were looking at a dangerous striker.

David Edgar and Paul Huntington.

Huntington, although recently slated at LB (and rightly so), is/was a very good centre half, at academy and reserve level. When played at CB in the first team, he's had his best games, and the second half performance from both of  these players, in the WHU game, showed exactly that. When played at left back, he's looked sluggish, slow, and out of position. As would alot of centrebacks in the premiership. Keep this lad ticking in the reserves, and keep him as decent cover for now. He needs another season out of the spotlight, but has show glimpses of promise.

Pluse he scored against the yids, celbebrating in their cockney wanker faces.

David Edgar-When he has had the chance, he's taken it. Kept the premierships best wingers quiet at St James, and scored a cracker too. He's played all along the back four, and has looked more composed in the full back positions than Huntingon. Shows decent composure on the ball, and its strange to see why he isn't getting a game, when the likes of Ramage, Bramble and Baba are all getting call ups.

This lad shows promise, but he needs games. Can we afford to give him games to bring his game on, or are we going to spunk our money on someone, and leave him to rot in the reserves?

Nobby Solano-

Very composed right back. Better than we've had in that position for years. Is getting on a bit, but still has 2-3 years in that position. Is an excellent passer on the ball, and scarily, our best defender.

Steven Taylor- Although labeled by some, brash, fiesty, and the unfinished article. For a man of his age, and inexperience, he's showed qualities of a good centre half. Good in the air, strong, and more or less positionally sound compared to our other centre backs. Coming on well, and shows plenty of passion. Just needs to iron out some creases.

James Milner- Arguably our best player. Although his lack of pure pace can be a bastard, this lad can really take on a man, and isn't scared of doing it. Can whip in some great crosses, and has scored some important crackers this season. Workes tirelessly for the team, uses his footballing brain to make up for his lack of pace. Technically sound player.

Nicky Butt. Getting on, but Gary Speed has shown you can play in this position for a while, if you keep yourself in shape. Has shown the V's at critics and fans saying he'll never wear the shirt again, and has done so in style. His best spell, was when partnered with Emre in the middle. Both players knowing their jobs well, and getting on with it. Now teamed with Parker, his role has changed slightly and looked less effective. However, a great turnaround season, and has glued our anchorman position, and provides a much needed protection to the back four.

Guest Phil K

Can't understand why Edgar's not had more of a look-in.

True - Taylor's not half the player he was earlier in the season, unfortunately Bramble IS the player he was before, Ramage isn't even "championship" standard, Moore is well passed his sell by date, and frankly we looked in and the talent cupboard was bare.

So why not ?

I agree with all of that except Nicky Butt. While I think he hasn't played badly, I don't think he has been as good as people have made out. I think he is really immobile in comparison to Parker and quite rash in his challenges. He's done alright but just hasn't really convinced me he should be a first choice CM. If I had to choose a CM pairing it would be Emre Parker with Parker as an out and out DM, though I concede that I would play Butt Emre going on how Roeder utilizes the players.

Guest teepee

i agree with oba, nobby, butt and milner - they have all performed better than what was expected. oba is on his first season with no partner, nobby is getting used to another (though not new) position and milner and butt we're as good as gone last season......

i also think sibbers has surprised pleasently - i know he is not great, but he is much better than i expected!

Guest andynufc84

The positive for me is reality setting in.

Our weakness's and short comings have been exposed massively (in front of the nation at times)

We have realised and have been found out for what we are, average to lower premier team.

And now we have our heads out of the clouds after the back end of last season we have an oppourtunity to impove even if only a little and start to head in the right direction again.

Our weakness's and short comings have been exposed massively (in front of the nation at times)

We have realised and have been found out for what we are, average to lower premier team.

And now we have our heads out of the clouds after the back end of last season we have an oppourtunity to impove even if only a little and start to head in the right direction again.

Excellent point...

Couldn't agrre more. That run towards the end of last season definitely contributed to our lacklustre efforts in the summer transfer window. We were happy to sit on the squad and imagined super Roeder would have us flying despite the fact we had such a poor squad.

Guest killers_perm

Excellent point...

Couldn't agrre more. That run towards the end of last season definitely contributed to our lacklustre efforts in the summer transfer window. We were happy to sit on the squad and imagined super Roeder would have us flying despite the fact we had such a poor squad.

hear hear !

Guest nufc_geordie

1) Shay Given pretty much agreeing to see out the rest of his career with us.

2) Stephen Carr being shown to be consistently sh*t meaning Nobby is now classed as the clubs first choice right back.

3) Nobby has been excellent in his NATURAL position. Too many people forget that we actually signed him as a right back from Boca Jnrs and he captained his country from right back also.

4) Bramble being finished as a Newcastle player.

5) Nicky Butt has been excellent, in the running for player of the season with Milner.

6) Milner has developed further again this year and is looking a very good player.

7) Le Sib has proved almost all of his doubter wronmg. His European goals alone have repaid the transfer fee and he has made a good general contribution.

8) Early signs of Martins are promising.

Martins being the type of player that will score us goals when owen is injured so even if we sign no strikers (god please say we will), were not a one striker team.

Also Given making noises to say he is staying at the toon, top keeper has his weaknesses but has kept us in so many matches.

Also agreeing with the Janitor here, I'm so glad this season is comming to an end, although it hasn't been a nothing season in the sense that we have had cup runs, it still has for a few different reasons a season to brush under the carpet.

I agree with all of that except Nicky Butt. While I think he hasn't played badly, I don't think he has been as good as people have made out. I think he is really immobile in comparison to Parker and quite rash in his challenges. He's done alright but just hasn't really convinced me he should be a first choice CM. If I had to choose a CM pairing it would be Emre Parker with Parker as an out and out DM, though I concede that I would play Butt Emre going on how Roeder utilizes the players.

Do you honestly think Butt is rash in challenges compared to Parker?

I still can't see the argument for playing Parker & Emre; regardless of your opinion on our midfielders individually, the partnership of Butt & Emre has consistently performed better than any we've fielded including the captain.

Do you honestly think Butt is rash in challenges compared to Parker?

I still can't see the argument for playing Parker & Emre; regardless of your opinion on our midfielders individually, the partnership of Butt & Emre has consistently performed better than any we've fielded including the captain.

I meant immobile in comparison but I do think for tackling ability Parker is probably better as well. As I said at the end of my post I accept that for the way Roeder uses his players Butt and Emre is probably better, but I think that if Parker was told to be strictly a DM then Emre would have freedom to roam and I think it would work well.

Guest Kenton Magpie

The positive for me is that the season is almost over, well it is in our sense as we have nowt to aim for

I think there is generally positives in relation to the players but the problem is how it's implemented.

As has been said, I would have Edgar playing left-back every week ahead of Carr/Duff/Baba but he doesn't even make the bench sometimes?  Milner plays fantastic and gets dropped or put on the left?  Roeder plays Sib up front in place of Dyer.  Plus a few more that I can't be bothered to list.

I think if we can strengthen the defence in the summer we can still be easily contesting 5/6/7 provided the players are implemented into the team properly and Owen stays fit.

The biggest positive for me is that the management are finally coming round to the fact that the players we have are not good enough. Although this isn't 100% nailed on that it will get sorted out, the signs are promising.

Bramble, Babayaro, Carr are clearly all shite and will hopefully go.

Edgar/Huntington are looking like promising players. MUCH more promising at CB than Ramage imo.

Solano can play RB if need be.

Milner and Martins have been very good and are some of the only players that show a bit of hunger to win games.

Given's been great again but that generally goes without saying. Very lucky to still have him.

I agree that Edgar should be getting more of a chance (and not just because he's a fellow Canadian). We had a good run in the middle, when we had our young players out there, so they should all be getting more of a chance.

I'm glad to see this thread, because I don't share everyone's pesimism over the future of our club. I think that we need a few key signings and we'll be fine. For instance, I think we need a true leader who is respected and can create more cohesion on the pitch, and we need a more physically dominant striker. I disagree that we don't have good players out there. I think we're weak in a few areas, but are mostly missing that intangible element.

Also, I really enjoy watching Duff flap his arms around in disbelief when nobody passes the ball to him. That's been very entertaining.  :D

Guest Bellers

The positives, for some reason I just can't decide...

Given has improved vastly. His kicking is superb and his improved control of the box stood out in the second leg of the AZ tie.

The defence are rock solid. The individual mistakes have finally been ironed out and I can just smell the cohesion from the stand.

The midfield's slick, sharp passing game has been unplayable, we keep the ball as if it were a magnet attracted to our boots.

The forwards have been razor sharp, banging in the goals for fun, surely it's only a matter of time before one of the lads collects the golden boot.