Toon join Rat race

lovejoy

This Rat guy has only played 65 games in 4 years at Shakhtar.

Unless he only emerged as a Shakhtar player last season (unlikely as he's 25), I wouldn't be interested.

Seen him play then? Fucking hell

I wouldn't be interested anyway tbh!

Get someone in that is proven quality. Sick of us signing shitty crap wing-backs for nothing money; that turn out to be exactly that. Shitty and crap and worth nothing.

Get wing-back sorted properly for once.

I know what your saying, but how many times have we seen players sign for clubs who we've never heard of and come good? I don't particularly trust our scouting network, but if anything its been our policy of only signing BIG names thats held us back.

Personally i'd never heard of Vidic, Agger or Heinze when they were signed. Thats maybe a few extreme examples, but to write someone off just because we've not heard of him and he plays in Ukraine is a bit daft.

I think it is almost certain that Roeder was watching Jao Moutinho at the Portugal game.

If we had to pick a midfielder to come in and replace Emre he would be a hell of an option. Exciting young attacking midfield talent (not prospect!) who is also as hard as nails despite his smallish stature. Vision and passing is out of this world...

Guest Sniffer

Although all these foreigners may be cheaper options and even good in their current leagues, can they perform for us in the premier league? Or are they going to require the usual 18 months or so to settle in? Or will they join a long list of players who were a total and utter waste of money?

Although all these foreigners may be cheaper options and even good in their current leagues, can they perform for us in the premier league? Or are they going to require the usual 18 months or so to settle in? Or will they join a long list of players who were a total and utter waste of money?

Well Moutinho, who was 17 years old at the time, was great against us when we went out to Sporting Lisbon and he was also great against Borough, so it looks like he can do the business against premiership opposition.

Guest Sniffer

Nope. Wrong I'm afraid.

There is a big difference between playing a handful of games against English teams in europe and playing week in, week out in the premier league. I would have no problem with foreign imports if they show the comittment of a Gabriel Heinze rather than the ones we get like a marcelhino.

This Rat guy has only played 65 games in 4 years at Shakhtar.

Unless he only emerged as a Shakhtar player last season (unlikely as he's 25), I wouldn't be interested.

Seen him play then? Fucking hell

Nope, but his stats are there for all to see.

Either he's injury prone, or not good enough to play for Shakhtar, or there are some extenuating circumstances for his lack of appearances.

Unless its the latter, there is no way I could be interested.

This is the same old s*** we hear before every transfers, I just sit and read all the comments and all of sudden Roeder is the bees knees but come the end of the transfer deadline it will be the same  old story. I'll believe it when I actually see the signatures on the contract, until then it's just paper talk nothing more!.

This is the same old s*** we hear before every transfers, I just sit and read all the comments and all of sudden Roeder is the bees knees but come the end of the transfer deadline it will be the same  old story. I'll believe it when I actually see the signatures on the contract, until then it's just paper talk nothing more!.

How often have you seen the signatures on the contract? :D

How often have you seen the signatures on the contract? :D

One can only dream :D

Guest Mantis

Another half a dozen names to add to the list before the transfer window opens.

I'd sooner be looking closer to home with regard to experience of playing here.  I cant bear the thought of trying to stabilise our defence by bringing in the new Domi, Goma, Marcelino or Pistone.

Versatile attacking midfielder/forward Nani will be the next Cristiano Ronaldo! I was very impressed with him in his full int.nat debut against Finland in Euro qualification match. Huge talent and I think he won't have any problems adapting to English game but won't come cheap. We have had bad experiences with Viana before but he is different type of a player. Really hard to see Nani signing for us as there are plenty of better clubs after him as well...

Don't think there's much chance of him signing for Newcastle...

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/03/23/manual_095153.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Tottenham are reportedly leading the race to sign Sporting Lisbon's Nani despite competition from Manchester United.

However Sporting have warned Barclays Premiership clubs that it will cost £13.5million to sign him.

The 20-year-old is believed to have a clause which would see him leave for £13.5million, with his club appearing reluctant to let him go for less.

A Sporting spokesman told skysports.com: "The club that wants the kid have a price, ¿20million (£13.5million). Only by this money would we be disposed to let Nani leave.

"We know of the interest of several English clubs for Nani, and that is normal because of his quality - but until this moment we have received no offer in writing."

Nani has been compared with Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo, who was signed from Sporting in 2003.

United have been linked with a move for the Portuguese prospect following their previous business with the club. French side Lyon have also been suggested as a possible destination.

Nani is represented by Jorge Mendes, who is also the agent of Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.

"The decision depends on Sporting because the player has a deal," said Mendes. "But Nani is a player of enormous potential and other big clubs have asked about his situation."

Manu have a close relationship with Sporting, they'll need a replacement for Giggs soon, bigger club etc etc.  Inevitable Nani will go OT imo.

Very encouraging reading. Seems Roeder is trying to do things properly. It's good that he's being a lot more open minded about transfers and from what he says he understands what the underlying problems are with our transfer policys at the moment. Of course only time will tell who he can get in but the type of players he's identifying could be good gambles.

Spurs are linked with most players in the world.

Isn't it better this way? At least Spurs cast the net wide and are interested in a host of ggod players. Might miss out the majority but by chance or percentage they will get a few eventually. I would rather this way than simply just targetting a single or 2 players and risk losing all at once and resorting to panic buys like us.

Guest JamesD

doubt we'd able to get Kuranyi.  For some reason, he was left out of the WC squad, but now he's back in the national team fold and just scored a double in germany's last match.  class player, but not what we need at this time, and possibly out of our class as well.

Kuranyi isn't a class player. He's just excelled in a league where strikers don't need to be that good to score. His control is shite, his heading ability is average and he's not pacey. He's a bit better than Ameobi in that aspect but imo, I don't think he'd succeed in the Premiership.

Spurs are linked with most players in the world.

Isn't it better this way? At least Spurs cast the net wide and are interested in a host of ggod players. Might miss out the majority but by chance or percentage they will get a few eventually. I would rather this way than simply just targetting a single or 2 players and risk losing all at once and resorting to panic buys like us.

Totally agree.  Once it's known which area is be strengthened, there may half a dozen names that could fill the space.  Those players have to be checked over, contact made with their clubs, talk to their agents etc etc in the knowledge that 5 out of 6 will get left on the wayside, if things go wrong all 6 could be cast aside and the process starts again.  Since we lost out for the services of Damien Duff, Spurs have been linked with Nani, Nene, Downing, Petrov, Lee Cook, a young Scot whose name I've forgotten (maybe from Hibs) and they're only the ones I heard about, little doubt there are others too.

The point is a team who is not in the big 4 will rarely get their first choice, they have to build a list, and to check out everyone on the list needs a proper scouting strategy and, in Spurs' case, a DoF to enable the Head Coach to do coaching.