Would you sell Owen?

Guest Knightrider
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

As much as I want him to stay and recapture his form and for him to be a huge success here, which he still can be, if offered over £10m for him tomorrow, I'd probably cut our losses and take it to bolster the defence as Martins and Ameobi can both do a decenet enough job. If offered like. Mind I hope he stays and bangs in teh goals for us like he has done his whole career.

Guest smoggeordie

Depends on the situation.

Right now, no. Pester and pester and pester him to sign a new contract.

In a years time, say he's refusing to sign a new deal and could walk away for free the following summer, i'd sell him if I could get a good replacement.

If not, hoy him in the reserves and get that nutter off GOAL! to do his knee in again.

No.

Apart from the fact that we really do need a consistent goalscorer – and assuming he comes back sharp, he's one of the best around – I also subscribe to the theory that it's both good for our profile (with all knock-on effects in terms of merchandise etc) and our ability to attract and retain other talented players if we have such a globally known and respected player on our books.

If we could get two proven players (preferably a centre back and another striker) and cash in a swap for Owen, the yes, I would be for it. As of right now, he has only played a handful of games, and he is two years into his contract. No matter what happens, if Owen doesn't sign an extension, he hasn't been worth the money we paid for him. Plus, nobody knows what kind of form he'll be in when he returns and whether or not his knee will hold up, in the long run.

I would take Martins in the long-term over Owen, and we need to fix problems in the rest of our squad. So, yeah, if we could guarantee good players out of the deal, then do it.

Upwards of 15m and yeah, but not for less.

Can't see anyone paying upwards of 15 though, so no I suppose.

The poll really lacks an option between the first and second choices tbh.

No, with the exception of one scenario.

If he played for England and became injured again, where the injury was likely to keep him out for more than 5 games in to next season, then I'd sell him in a shot.

No, would be taking a step backwards tbh. There is no one better than Owen at doing what he does.

And what is the point of getting the money for him when we know our management team will just spend it all 2 or so flops.

Newcastle rule out Owen move in the summer

Louise Taylor

Monday April 16, 2007

The Guardian

Glenn Roeder yesterday poured scorn on stories suggesting that Michael Owen is poised to leave Newcastle United for Manchester United or Arsenal this summer.

"It's all news to me," said Newcastle's manager. "But I certainly haven't waited all these months to write Michael Owen's name on my team-sheet to even contemplate selling him. Michael is a very big part of my plans for next season and I know he's been as frustrated as everyone else and can't wait to start playing for Newcastle again. Personally I can't wait to see him scoring goals for us that no one else can."

Owen has targeted the visit of Chelsea on Sunday for his comeback and the striker should be fit to join up with England's squad for the end-of-season friendly with Brazil at Wembley and the vital Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia on June 6.

However, Freddy Shepherd, Newcastle's chairman, is threatening to seek an injunction preventing the Football Association fielding Owen in those games if the ruling body continues to refuse to reimburse all, or at least part of, the £150,000 medical costs resulting from the treatment of the knee ligament injury Owen suffered at the World Cup.

"They have not even paid the price of an aspirin for Michael since he left their care. They cut him loose as soon as he was put on the plane home," Shepherd said. "If the FA don't offer us a fair settlement we are prepared to go to court."

Guest smoggeordie

Newcastle rule out Owen move in the summer

Louise Taylor

Monday April 16, 2007

The Guardian

Glenn Roeder yesterday poured scorn on stories suggesting that Michael Owen is poised to leave Newcastle United for Manchester United or Arsenal this summer.

"It's all news to me," said Newcastle's manager. "But I certainly haven't waited all these months to write Michael Owen's name on my team-sheet to even contemplate selling him. Michael is a very big part of my plans for next season and I know he's been as frustrated as everyone else and can't wait to start playing for Newcastle again. Personally I can't wait to see him scoring goals for us that no one else can."

Owen has targeted the visit of Chelsea on Sunday for his comeback and the striker should be fit to join up with England's squad for the end-of-season friendly with Brazil at Wembley and the vital Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia on June 6.

However, Freddy Shepherd, Newcastle's chairman, is threatening to seek an injunction preventing the Football Association fielding Owen in those games if the ruling body continues to refuse to reimburse all, or at least part of, the £150,000 medical costs resulting from the treatment of the knee ligament injury Owen suffered at the World Cup.

"They have not even paid the price of an aspirin for Michael since he left their care. They cut him loose as soon as he was put on the plane home," Shepherd said. "If the FA don't offer us a fair settlement we are prepared to go to court."

Can just imagine FFS and McClaren on the plane home.

FFS: Lend uz a quid Stevie, Mickeys got a bad leg, gonna but him some Paracetamol

McClaren: Nor.

:lol:

I'd say no in any case but which club would buy him that could afford him (fee and wages) anyway? Plus, even if someone would pay, fopr example, £12million who would we attract instead. Get rid of and replace the shite before we even consider getting rid of Owen imo.

No. Next summer everyone's going to be cash rich and spending like there's no tomorrow, and we're not in a position to attract top name players in that environment. Especially if we're out of Europe.

We've got him, so assuming the recovery is going as well as expected we should keep him.