Players in public

Guest hindu times

It takes the same amount of effort to be polite as it does to act like a diva, if not less.

One poster said Sammy behaved like a Diva, whatever that means, he also said that Sammy said he didn't have time which is understandable.

Balance. It should be simple. Realise you're only a small part of a big world. It's not as though Sammy Ameobi is picking up a reputation for never turning up at hospitals, leading kids' christmas conga lines, embarrassing himself for our amusement on twitter etc...

The over reaction to Sammy not stooping for a photo is laughable, no fans own a part of him, had it been at the training ground or a club event then fair enough. But on his own time on Christmas Eve fkn hell give the lad a break.

The over reaction to Sammy not stooping for a photo is laughable, no fans own a part of him, had it been at the training ground or a club event then fair enough. But on his own time on Christmas Eve fkn hell give the lad a break.

Why did you send Nile Ranger abuse on Twitter if you own no part of him?

Why did you send Nile Ranger abuse on Twitter if you own no part of him?

do you need to own something to abuse it?

Generally there has to be some form of emotional investment to feel wronged enough to provoke it. It's hypocritical of Skirge to suggest that the NUFC players have no obligation to treat fans with respect when he basically demanded it from Ranger.

Responding positively to little fan requests like that should be a non-contractual obligation imo. They're known figures in the local community who have their (enormous) wages paid for by the public. Assuming you're not walking up to his house, kicking his bedroom door down and demanding a photo, they should always have the time for two-second interactions like that.

Footballers like everyone else have a right to privacy, as fans we pay money to watch them play.  We don't own them and other than playing football, they owe us nothing.  It must be s*** not being able to walk around without having people stopping them all of the time.

This. Plus it was Christmas Eve. Totally understandable.

Would've taken between two and ten seconds. Just do it.

Aye but that gets noticed and he ends up with 20 or so other fans all wanting the same thing, perfectly understandable for him not to stop and unless he was rude to the point of being offensive then I REALLY don't see the issue.

The majority of people will be just wanting a photograph so they can stick it on Facebook and be like "look who I seen hahaha".

As i've said, I think it's different with children who will obviously look up to NUFC players as heroes, rejecting a bairn would be canny shocking and would probably ruin his week :lol:

I've seen Sammy loads of times after reserve and kids games and he's always been surrounded by people talking to him, getting autographs and photo's.  On Christmas Eve he refused a photograph because he didn't have time, it's no big deal.

The bumbling, loveable, cult hero, youth-player-that-has-sort-of-made-it status that Sammy has probably means he gets stopped all the time. Can imagine people taking it upon themselves to speak to him in public far more than I can most of our senior players for example.

I've heard plenty of stories of celebrities coming across as wankers but then you hear from other people that they're sound as a pound. Sometimes you just catch people at the wrong time, they are human like everybody else afterall. Can imagine everybody on here can remember a time where you've been bitchy or dismissive to friends or strangers, harsh to criticise somebody you don't know for doing so on a one off occasion.

I agree that the players should generally be receptive to the general public as part of their position and to be fair I think most of our players do more than their bit.

The bumbling, loveable, cult hero, youth-player-that-has-sort-of-made-it status that Sammy has probably means he gets stopped all the time. Can imagine people taking it upon themselves to speak to him in public far more than I can most of our senior players for example.

I've heard plenty of stories of celebrities coming across as wankers but then you hear from other people that they're sound as a pound. Sometimes you just catch people at the wrong time, they are human like everybody else afterall. Can imagine everybody on here can remember a time where you've been bitchy or dismissive to friends or strangers, harsh to criticise somebody you don't know for doing so on a one off occasion.

I agree that the players should generally be receptive to the general public as part of their position and to be fair I think most of our players do more than their bit.

Agreed, I know a lass who hates SBR because he was rude to her and it grates on me.

He was obviously just having an off moment because the amount of stories people have to tell about him being a nice, honest, down to earth bloke is unreal.

Xmas eve is bad enough as it is, if someone slows me down for 2 seconds I want to kick them in the back of the head so people stopping me every 10 yards for a photo would probably send me postal.

These players have no responsibility to do anything for the fans other than turn up to training, put the effort in on the pitch and stay out of trouble (as Mick said), if they don't want to (and it sounds like Sammy normally is happy to) sign anything or pose for photos with people that's their prerogative. They get paid to be a footballer, that shouldn't entail having to do with in their private time.

Agreed, I know a lass who hates SBR because he was rude to her and it grates on me.

He was obviously just having an off moment because the amount of stories people have to tell about him being a nice, honest, down to earth bloke is unreal.

Xmas eve is bad enough as it is, if someone slows me down for 2 seconds I want to kick them in the back of the head so people stopping me every 10 yards for a photo would probably send me postal.

These players have no responsibility to do anything for the fans other than turn up to training, put the effort in on the pitch and stay out of trouble (as Mick said), if they don't want to (and it sounds like Sammy normally is happy to) sign anything or pose for photos with people that's their prerogative. They get paid to be a footballer, that shouldn't entail having to do with in their private time.

I've heard a few stories about SBR letting his mask slip mind.