Its Roeder

lovejoy

While I like the guy and think he's done a good job as caretaker, I think the word to sum this up is "Unambitious".

Safe bet for Fred though, doesn't have to bust a bollock paying for/getting a "highest calibre" manager and knows there wont be a backlash because people wouldn't have the heart to do that to Glen.

One word from me, stability and it's something this club has been lacking since KK left. Hopefully the club will continue along this line as the next manager will come from within the club as well. No sense constantly changing a team if it's a good squad and can do well. We have a good squad with the likes of Owen, Parker, Emre, Taylor, Given so no reason to change it massivly but a bigger manager would want to like the past managers have.

Hasn't Emre said who the new manager is will effect if he stays or not?  I really dont see this as a long term appoitment to be honest, which might be why I'm not swung by the stability side.  It's another Freddy experiment which will get the chop if results don't come and the fans turn on him.

FUcks sake, results against absolutely dire teams, who we should have been beating under Souness. Struggled tremendously against the big teams.

A new underwhelming era of Newcastle United.

Absolutely dire teams, I'm sorry like I couldn't disagree more.  Souness's results against these sides are in brackets, which tells you all you need to know about the positive impact Glenn's had.  It's not just in the results, it's the shape of the team, the attacking philosophy.

Portsmouth who were the beginning of a resurgence under Redknapp. (0-0)

Villa who were above us. (1-1)

Everton who were 6 points above us. (0-2)

Bolton who looked like getting a Champions League spot less than 2 months ago. (0-2)

Tottenham who have been up there all season who we ripped to pieces. (0-2)

Boro who we should've be 4 up against at half time, who are so dire have beaten the the best 3 sides in the country this season. (2-2)

Wigan who we annihilated, and should've beaten by more, who have been above us all season. (0-1)

The mackems and baggies who granted are shite.

He's never had a fully fit side, he's had all the injuries Souness had, and people turn round and still try to belittle what he's achieved??  7 of those 9 dire sides, we superior to us under Souness, so what did that make us?  Boils my piss the cunt hasn't even appointed and very few people are prepared to put even a hint of a positive slant on this.

Guest Statue_4_Shearer

It was his job to lose by the end of it, My only concern is that he will struggle to attract "big names".

Good Point, It may also see us lose Emre.  Get the feeling him and Roeder dont see eye to eye.

Guest Micktoon

Scenario is:

Roeder gets one year rolling, Shearer takes year off whilst taking his badges, Shearer becomes Glenns assistant, Shearer takes over from Glenn, Glenn moves upstairs, Fatboy gets his Geordie manager.

Not saying that is a good or bad thing, had this feeling all week. I think that Roeders appointment will prove this.

Failed to add that it be as cheap as chips for the fat boys wallet.

Guest Darth Toon

Agree with stevieintoon's thoughts on this one - Roeder deserves credit by the bucketload for what he's achieved with what is basically half of someone else's squad - no reason at all why he can't do it over a longer period.

Spoke to a mate at the Chron, and the job is Roeder's unless the FA insist on him having the Pro Licence. Newcastle have made the case to them, but if they say no, there's a back-up plan to appoint Tommy Craig as manager (officially) and make Roeder DoF until he has the Pro Licence. Surely the FA arent stupid enough to allow a puppet manager to be appointed . . .

I've just had a tenner on Craig at 80/1 on betdirect to be safe!

It was his job to lose by the end of it, My only concern is that he will struggle to attract "big names".

Good Point, It may also see us lose Emre. Get the feeling him and Roeder dont see eye to eye.

What makes you think that exactly nothing been said from the player that he doesn't, gets a game every time he's fit so why do you say they don't see eye to eye or is it just to add to your argument ?

As for Emre he came out and denied he had said that, he said he loved the club and wanted to stay for the full length of his contract.

Hasn't Emre said who the new manager is will effect if he stays or not?  I really dont see this as a long term appoitment to be honest, which might be why I'm not swung by the stability side.  It's another Freddy experiment which will get the chop if results don't come and the fans turn on him.

He probably meant "anything but mancini" :p I remember that what he said had more to do with the team doing well enough to qualify for europe, soon.

It was on Sky News about 15 mins ago... I'm a bit stunned.  bluedead.gif

Not too happy tbh. Just don't think he is the manager to get us back in the top 4. I have no doubts he'll do better than Souness, but I see that as us finishing 6th-8th next season.  Can't see him being given a lot of money to spend either... so Luque and Boumsong will probably sent away for 1/3 of what we paid for them.

Oh well, what ever happens we just have to support him and hope it all works out.

The club wasn't going to have much money in the summer anyway so thats another reason I think it's a good choice. We need to become more consistant so making sure we're in UEFA Cup for a few seasons again will do us the world of good and allow us to push further into the top 4. I think we'll be between 4th and 8th next season.

Roeder has done little wrong so their is a strong argument to not try and fix something that is no longer broke.

The major worry must be the fact that YET AGAIN Freddie Shepherd has failed to attract a manager that would be classed as top class - ie. Hitzfeld, O'Neill .......

I can see us in 12 months being in the same situation.

Guest Bramble OG

FUcks sake, results against absolutely dire teams, who we should have been beating under Souness. Struggled tremendously against the big teams.

A new underwhelming era of Newcastle United.

Lets see, based on his record this season, next season we'll lose twice to chelsea, manure and liverpool, but win just about every other game against every other team in the league.

That was a bit of an exaggeration, but we do need the consistency more than the "famous" wins against top class opposition, or we'll just become another Boro.

Exactly, Some people seem to think that the day souness was sacked we should be capable of  winning at Chelsea and Man utd, Weve improved hugely with the same set of players if not a smaller set than souness had. IMO we are improving every game.

I'm delighted about the whole situation, thrilled to bits. 

You know what it is with a large number of Newcastle fans and it's not just your new fans and younger fans, since I grew up watching the toon in the eighties, it's a big trait of toon fans, not to be happy unless they're miserable and have something to whinge at.

Tell me a manager in the world who would've got better results than Roeder has and with the style it's been done, with the resources he's had available.  People have complained that other than Keegan and Robson, that the other managers were destined to failure, as "they don't understand the people or the area".  Roeder lived in Newcastle for 6 years, and was captain for 4 of those 6 years, so that's that box ticked.  I'm going to leave you all to whinge at Shepherd and how shit we'll be next season, and how little cash we'll have to spend, and how Roeder's (laughably this) only beaten shit sides, and how even if we've got money no one will want to sign for Roeder anyway, and how he took West Ham down.

:mad:

Guest MagicNumber9

Nothings confirmed yet for me so im not saying anything yet...

BTW does anyone know the odds for him being the manager, by William Hil bookies??

Guest DavB93

Still can't see it happen, he doesn't have the badges and still doesn't have the time by the summer to get them...Even Freddy isn't daft enough to appoint Tommy Craig...If it does happen then we should all get behind Roeder as like many of you have said he knows the area well and 'WHAT THE FANS WANT'.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

The Roeder betting odds-on lark now on SSN - Alan Oliver has front and back-page articles on it in the Chronic.

Guest toonelaide

Are you ever going to be more certain a manager will do well? People sometimes say we'll never know what the manager will be like until he's actually doing the job. So far Glen has done very well, and lets not forget he's had a whole lot of injuries to deal with. He has got the team beating Spurs (a good side), and convincingly beating the midtable-bottom teams. The team is also playing "good" football.

A big positive for me is that he has (in the West Ham tradition) a history of developing technically excellent youngsters, potentially ideal considering the possibility of a small transfer kitty. He may well be the right man at the right time.