Its Roeder

lovejoy

I'm actually quite happy about it. Don't get all the moaning. Every manager has to learn their trade somewhere, they're not just born a big name. He's done far better than I could have ever dreamed about after Souness left so why shouldn't he get the job?

Guest Gemmill

One song title sums it up

''we're on a Roedernowhere''

The man has twice got a club to 7th place and had them relegated the following years (west ham - watford) and now he comes to us.

What a fukin shambles  blueupset.gif  :mad:

Jesus wept lad, get a grip!  And if you must come up with puns to relate your disappointment, could you put a bit more work into them please?  bluebigrazz.gif

We're on a road to Europe at the minute, from 15th place or whatever.  We WERE going nowhere, now we're going places thanks to the bloke who is about to get the job.  Don't talk shite eh?

Guest Gemmill

I'm actually quite happy about it. Don't get all the moaning. Every manager has to learn their trade somewhere, they're not just born a big name. He's done far better than I could have ever dreamed about after Souness left so why shouldn't he get the job?

Aye, no one knew Mourinho would be the next Mourinho.  If we'd had him as a relative nobody as Academy Director and brought him in to replace Souness temporarily, people would be going SPARE now wanting the big name.

Shite analogy like, but you get the drift.  Who's to say Roeder can't go onto great things?  Certainly not a load of people over-reacting on a message board.

Guest Bramble OG

Yep, Glen's done good in his time here. Remember Souness' unbeaten run? Is the past few months really enough to make such a big decision on?

Dont seem to remember playing with a bit of style and looking a decent side at any point of souness good runs though do you?

Guest thompers

Yep, Glen's done good in his time here. Remember Souness' unbeaten run? Is the past few months really enough to make such a big decision on?

Dont seem to remember playing with a bit of style and looking a decent side at any point of souness good runs though do you?

Anyone could have came in and said "right we're going to use wingers" and had the same effect imo. Does it make him anything special? Methinks not.

Guest sicko2ndbest

The man has twice got a club to 7th place and had them relegated the following years (west ham - watford) and now he comes to us.

Jesus wept lad, get a grip! And if you must come up with puns to relate your disappointment, could you put a bit more work into them please? bluebigrazz.gif

We're on a road to Europe at the minute, from 15th place or whatever. We WERE going nowhere, now we're going places thanks to the bloke who is about to get the job. Don't talk shite eh?

I am startin to think i am one of the few that have actually got a grip. Look at the Man utd and Liverpool games, are you really convinced Roeder can create a team to challenge.

You my friend are stuck in a world where mediocrity is a form of success

Heres another song title for you 'We are the champions', we may get the chance to sing this in the 07/08 season after regaining our premiership status

Lack of track record and lack of experience in Europe springs to mind. 

The success he has had has been very welcome and appreciated but with the squad we have I would expect us to win the games we have won, just because Souness couldn't do it, shouldn't mean we go with Roeder, I think, with all due respect to Roeder, he is the weakest candidate out of those that are constantly mentioned.

Guest shaun11177

An absolute disaster for me.You can write off next season straightaway.

Been Manager with expectations is a helluva lot different than Caretaker who whatever happened couldnt be blamed.

No top club would ever appoint a Manager who's previous job was to get relegated,you may as well appoint B Robson.

Guest thompers

Aye, no one knew Mourinho would be the next Mourinho. If we'd had him as a relative nobody as Academy Director and brought him in to replace Souness temporarily, people would be going SPARE now wanting the big name.

Shite analogy like, but you get the drift. Who's to say Roeder can't go onto great things? Certainly not a load of people over-reacting on a message board.

Let's get Souness back in then. He could have changed his ways and be the next Mourinho! I think most people are trying to point out that they don't want Roeder hired on a maybe, they want someone proven.

Aye, no one knew Mourinho would be the next Mourinho.  If we'd had him as a relative nobody as Academy Director and brought him in to replace Souness temporarily, people would be going SPARE now wanting the big name.

Shite analogy like, but you get the drift.  Who's to say Roeder can't go onto great things?  Certainly not a load of people over-reacting on a message board.

Yes it is a shite analogy. Mourinho did not get appointed in similar circumstances by previous clubs and fuck up royally. Lucky/good managers tend not to have recurring tales of inevitable failure.

Just a couple of Hammers fans views,

"Obviously they were younger and less experinced than they are now but those players still had spades of talent and more than enough Premiership experience to not only keep us up that season, but to push on for greater things. Roeder displayed a total lack of leadership and tactical nouse and it was clear to all that he'd lost the dressing room just a few games into that season. To be fair, he should have been sacked but the board took the cheaper and short-sighted option of keeping him on and the rest is history..

Roeder's managerial history speaks for itself..it's all there in black and white - no pun intended. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a crack for what he's done so far with you boys, perhaps he does...but be under no illusion, Roeder is perfectly capable of relegating that aquad of players you have."

"I'm another wandering West Ham fan and I still have nightmares that Roeder will one day come back to manage our club. The parallels between how he came to manage us and what seems to be happening here should terrify every member of the Toon Army. There is no other way of putting it so I shall say it again - Glenn Roeder has relegated every club he has managed. Go seek out some Watford or Gillingham fans and ask their opinion of him. Glenn is a really nice bloke, and when a club is in turmoil he is great at stepping in, massaging a few egos and settling things down for a while. He did that at Watford, he did that with us and he has done that with you. When he gets full control over transfer dealings you'll begin to realise very quickly what we did. He just isnt top manager material. I'll leave you with this chilling fact - Glen Roeder spent approx £15 million on David James, Thomas Repka and Don Hutchinson. These are the type of players that Roeder rates. Good Luck, my god you will need it."

There are plenty more where those came from.

Kinda reminds you of the Blackburn and Liverpool fans when we appointed Souness. And no doubt some people will laugh them off in a similar manner. bluesigh.gif

Guest Gemmill

Jesus wept lad, get a grip! And if you must come up with puns to relate your disappointment, could you put a bit more work into them please? bluebigrazz.gif

We're on a road to Europe at the minute, from 15th place or whatever. We WERE going nowhere, now we're going places thanks to the bloke who is about to get the job. Don't talk shite eh?

I am startin to think i am one of the few that have actually got a grip. Look at the Man utd and Liverpool games, are you really convinced Roeder can create a team to challenge.

You my friend are stuck in a world where mediocrity is a form of success

Heres another song title for you 'We are the champions', we may get the chance to sing this in the 07/08 season after regaining our premiership status

Aye judging by the last sentence you've really got a grip. :roll:

Were you expecting us to cane Man United and Liverpool then?  Play them off the park?  What exactly were you looking for in those games?  The bloke was at that stage very much a caretaker manager, working with a squad decimated by injuries.  He barely had his feet under the desk.  For a real gauge you'd have to look at how we do against those teams next season and the season after.

I think it's ridiculous that people point to those games as an example of Roeder's incompetence, but when you raise all the other results he achieved they were either "against crap teams" or "against teams on a bad run of form/we played them at the right time" etc.

If Glenn Roeder get's us relegated, I will close this account and never come back on N-O again.

Not really an incentive for the rest of us to get behind Roeder is it  :winking:

Aye, no one knew Mourinho would be the next Mourinho. If we'd had him as a relative nobody as Academy Director and brought him in to replace Souness temporarily, people would be going SPARE now wanting the big name.

Shite analogy like, but you get the drift. Who's to say Roeder can't go onto great things? Certainly not a load of people over-reacting on a message board.

It’s about expectations. When your Chairman sells your club big, promises a “top class” manager, you tend to expect a top class manager. There are “big” names out there, with the potential of this club, a top man should be here. This appointment, if it happens, is another Shepherd mistake.

Overreacting no, recognising a balls up yes.

Lack of track record and lack of experience in Europe springs to mind. 

The success he has had has been very welcome and appreciated but with the squad we have I would expect us to win the games we have won, just because Souness couldn't do it, shouldn't mean we go with Roeder, I think, with all due respect to Roeder, he is the weakest candidate out of those that are constantly mentioned.

I agree with  that.  I'm not going to knock Roeder, he's put us in a great position, but it's not going to be pretty long-term (like two seasons at the least).  The fact that it's the safest choice for Shepherd annoys me too. 

Sad chance missed.  And no, I wasn't wanting a big name for the sake of a big name, I wanted a manager with a track record of pulling teams out of the shit and establishing them.  Nothing says this to me with Glenn.  Bad decision.

Anyone could have came in and said "right we're going to use wingers" and had the same effect imo. Does it make him anything special? Methinks not.

Yeah because thats all he has done.

If it was easy as that why didn't Freddy take the job then.

What more can the man do we have won a shit load of games lately. We have lost to the top 3 in the country and lost to a tricky charlton team in London where our record hasn't been great anyway.

I said in another thread what could have Hitz or Oniell done differently in the games we have lost?

Even though the guy has not convinced me fully he hasn't done too much wrong. He is not my first choice but I am not dead against his appointment.

Guest Bramble OG

so by your thinking it doesnt matter who we put in charge as long as they use wingers as thats all its took to move us up 8 places and win 9-10 games?

The blokes took us from being a side who struggled to beat the likes of Mansfield+Grimsby and made us a team who in recent weeks have eased wins over Spurs and bolton etc. If you think thats solely down to playing with wingers you cant watch much football.

Guest thompers

We've gone from looking at top class candidates for one of the top jobs in the world to appointing somebody who isn't even qualified. It's like letting a learner driver chaffeur the queen!

Seems we're gonna be in the minority. Oh well. Good luck Glenn.

Guest Gemmill

Yes it is a shite analogy. Mourinho did not get appointed in similar circumstances by previous clubs and fuck up royally. Lucky/good managers tend not to have recurring tales of inevitable failure.

Just a couple of Hammers fans views,

"Obviously they were younger and less experinced than they are now but those players still had spades of talent and more than enough Premiership experience to not only keep us up that season, but to push on for greater things. Roeder displayed a total lack of leadership and tactical nouse and it was clear to all that he'd lost the dressing room just a few games into that season. To be fair, he should have been sacked but the board took the cheaper and short-sighted option of keeping him on and the rest is history..

Roeder's managerial history speaks for itself..it's all there in black and white - no pun intended. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a crack for what he's done so far with you boys, perhaps he does...but be under no illusion, Roeder is perfectly capable of relegating that aquad of players you have."

"I'm another wandering West Ham fan and I still have nightmares that Roeder will one day come back to manage our club. The parallels between how he came to manage us and what seems to be happening here should terrify every member of the Toon Army. There is no other way of putting it so I shall say it again - Glenn Roeder has relegated every club he has managed. Go seek out some Watford or Gillingham fans and ask their opinion of him. Glenn is a really nice bloke, and when a club is in turmoil he is great at stepping in, massaging a few egos and settling things down for a while. He did that at Watford, he did that with us and he has done that with you. When he gets full control over transfer dealings you'll begin to realise very quickly what we did. He just isnt top manager material. I'll leave you with this chilling fact - Glen Roeder spent approx £15 million on David James, Thomas Repka and Don Hutchinson. These are the type of players that Roeder rates. Good Luck, my god you will need it."

There are plenty more where those came from.

Kinda reminds you of the Blackburn and Liverpool fans when we appointed Souness. And no doubt some people will laugh them off in a similar manner. bluesigh.gif

So he's not the next Mourinho, he's the next Souness?  As daft an analogy as mine tbh.

I find it pretty pathetic after the job the bloke is doing, that people are so quick to not just be disappointed, but to rip him to bits for getting himself appointed.  Some of the posts in this thread are way over the top.  "He'll get us relegated" etc.  Aye, cos he's showing every sign of doing that at the minute. :roll:

Guest makemeacupoftea

I'd like Roeder as manager, although i don't think he will get it.

Seems we're gonna be in the minority. Oh well. Good luck Glenn.