Its Roeder

lovejoy

Guest thompers

Yep, Glen's done good in his time here. Remember Souness' unbeaten run? Is the past few months really enough to make such a big decision on?

Dont seem to remember playing with a bit of style and looking a decent side at any point of souness good runs though do you?

Anyone could have came in and said "right we're going to use wingers" and had the same effect imo. Does it make him anything special? Methinks not.

so by your thinking it doesnt matter who we put in charge as long as they use wingers as thats all its took to move us up 8 places and win 9-10 games?

The blokes took us from being a side who struggled to beat the likes of Mansfield+Grimsby and made us a team who in recent weeks have eased wins over Spurs and bolton etc. If you think thats solely down to playing with wingers you cant watch much football.

With our squad we should have won most of the games we've played this season. The reason we weren't winning is because we were misusing gifted players and I think with a team like ours, playing wingers has been the major turning point in our performances.

I am once more, truly dissapointed in Shepherd, I will not slag off Roeder, what's to slag off, he's done a great job, but he isn't as strong a candidate as others in terms of track record and thats FACT not opinion.

I am more pissed off with Shepherd, who once again shows his lack of long term vision.

Unless that vision is to have Roeder steady the ship until Shearer is ready.... bluecry.gif

Guest Ridzuan

More bullshit I reckon. Club have denied it, would have kept quiet if it was true.

They probably doesnt want to break the surprise yet.

More bullshit I reckon. Club have denied it, would have kept quiet if it was true.

I'm worried about that too.

I reckon that Peasepud got lucky with a 1471, getting through to Lovejoy, who is actually Alan Oliver :wink:

Always look on the bright side of life though - I nearly put £50 on it.

Guest Gemmill

I reckon Shepherd couldn't resist blabbing to Oliver ("Ooooo Alan Alan, I've got a secret!"....."Haway Freddy, be your best friend if you tell us!") who (being a journalist) couldn't resist blabbing to every bugger! :lol:

Good luck to him like, I think hes gonna need it.  If we get into europe then I dont think Roeder will take us far, this is why an appointment of someone like Houllier as DOF would be essential if Roeder is taking over. M'ON would still be the ideal appointment. FF should be going all out to get him, if he has to wait then he has to wait. Roeder and a DOF should be 2nd choice. Roeder on his lonesome would be possibly 3rd/4th choice for me. Dont get me wrong hes done a great job so far but I'm not entirely convinced he has what it takes to compete with the chelseas and arsenals. Again if he gets it good luck to him though.

I really do not know what to make of this.

I like the way he has stepped in and rescued the club...working with Shearer to do it.

I am also not convinced enough on what I have seen that he is the man for the position.

I think he would just be too much of a risk to appoint as the full time manager of the club, I honestly believe it is do or die time for us and I think FFS is thinking the same, we need to get back into europe and be aiming for the top four, its that simple.

Is Glenn the manwho can do that ?  Too much uncertainty there for me and a lot of us, I dont think he would be appointed and tasked to do this alone.

If he is then its a big risk, I will back him and give him a chance after seeing how he has turned our clubs season round, he at least deserves that.

Would I be looking forward to next season with high hopes, sadly not, I would be looking forward to next season fingers crossed that he can do well, along with every other toon fan.

I do not know if he can be succesful, I dont think we have seen enough of him at SJP yet to make a decision that may cost us yet more millions in lost money and or bad transfers.

Not a decision I would be over the moon with and if appointed I would see it as a bad move by ffs.

But I would get behind Glenn and support him with fingers crossed, hoping he can continue to do well.  The first bad run and the fans would turn on him though, too high a potential for disaster imo and I cant see FFS being that willing to take another risk, it could destroy the club or possibly gain us 6th place next year.

So he's not the next Mourinho, he's the next Souness?  As daft an analogy as mine tbh.

I find it pretty pathetic after the job the bloke is doing, that people are so quick to not just be disappointed, but to rip him to bits for getting himself appointed.  Some of the posts in this thread are way over the top.  "He'll get us relegated" etc.  Aye, cos he's showing every sign of doing that at the minute. :roll:

I did not compare him to Souness (that would indeed be nearly as daft as your Mourinho analogy), I compared the warnings messages coming from his previous clubs fans and some peoples willingness to overlook historical precedent. Again.

Nor have I seen anyone predict that he would relegate us, that would indeed be as silly as anyone predicting success because he has overseen us having a decent run recently.

/:roll:

I am once more, truly dissapointed in Shepherd, I will not slag off Roeder, what's to slag off, he's done a great job, but he isn't as strong a candidate as others in terms of track record and thats FACT not opinion.

I am more pissed off with Shepherd, who once again shows his lack of long term vision.

Unless that vision is to have Roeder steady the ship until Shearer is ready.... bluecry.gif

ditto - Edit-Not too sure about the Shearer bit

The more i think about the appointment the more i would think FF is extremely inept tbh, all this time to find a manager and he appoints Roeder on the back of a good run. Fair play to Roeder though, he came in and did what was asked of him and now he finds himself 1 step away from the hotseat!

Guest The_Tyne

The more i think about the appointment the more i would think FF is extremely inept tbh, all this time to find a manager and he appoints Roeder on the back of a good run. Fair play to Roeder though, he came in and did what was asked of him and now he finds himself 1 step away from the hotseat!

I agree with this post, I think its hard to criticise Roeder even if he is not the fans first choice.

ditto - Edit-Not too sure about the Shearer bit

The Shearer bit is one of the few things since the back end of Robsons reign that has been painfully clear. Robson wasn't up for taking Shearer under his wing, Souness was, Roeder even more so.

This appointment would make that the long term plan nailed on for me, and effectively means another two years of treading water until the prodigal son returns.

Guest Gemmill

Anyone read the Oliver article?  The Shearer spin and the fact that O'Neill might have frozen out "Tyneside's favourite son" makes me want to vomit tbh.  I sincerely hope that this decision hasn't been taken simply to cater for a bloke who has never managed a football club in his life and may prove to be an abject failure at it.  As content as I'd be with Roeder, if it really is short term just to bring Shearer in, it's ridiculous.

For if United were to bring in someone like Martin O'Neill and his backroom staff of John Robertson and Steve Walford, it is hard to see how here would be a place for Shearer.

And O'Neill - or any would-be manager for that matter - could be forgiven for always looking over his shoulder at Shearer.

But the respect between Roeder and Shearer is mutual and the pair have already shown they can work together.

Seriously that's a fucking joke

chron reckons shearer wil join roeder in 12 months time

Chuffed to bits if he does, between them they have really worked wonders for us!

didn't rate Roeder after he took west ham down but if Hitzfeld o'nelil etc had us winning 9 out if 13 premiership games alot of people would be creaming their pants on here, proclaiming they had worked miracles. so full credit where credit's due to the pair of them.

i would have been gutted if he hadn't got the job!

my one fear though is that once Shearer leaves glen on his own things may take a downturn, so far they have worked wonders as a Team, so i really hope shearer stays on too.

Imo i'd much preffer Shearer and Roeder, two people who geniunely love, care and know the club inside out over some mercenary who has no ties with the club whatsover. In Roeders short spell in charge of our team he has been fantastic and i hope he is installed as manager given a two year contract with 2 year optional extension and starts on the same wages as Souness.