Best pass by a Toon player?

Guest smoggeordie

What about Dyers through ball to Bernard when we lost 3-2 against arse at highbury I think it was. Not bad really!

Those passes are easy, Bernard deserves just as much credit for the run he made.  If you've got the ball and someone is moving it doesn't take a world class footballer to pick them out, you do need some vision however and they always look good .  The best passes are the disguised ones, Messi does them all the time.

Hamman to Saha, against Blackburn I think.  No idea why that sticks in the mind.

That was class. Hibbert to MacDonald from the DVDs I've seen is the best though. Viana to Bernard v Chelsea, Robert to Bellamy in the 1-1 draw with Sunderland in the 2001-2 season was class as well.

What about Dyers through ball to Bernard when we lost 3-2 against arse at highbury I think it was. Not bad really!

Those passes are easy, Bernard deserves just as much credit for the run he made.  If you've got the ball and someone is moving it doesn't take a world class footballer to pick them out, you do need some vision however and they always look good .  The best passes are the disguised ones, Messi does them all the time.

Your wrong, it wasn't easy because the night we played the pitch was very wet and this meant the pass had to be timed perfect.

Rob Lee? to Shearer for that volley vs Villa.

Beat me to it...

Hardly a perfect ball tbh. It was a decent long ball, but it was fast heading out of play, and it would have been difficult to control. Shearer was just so immensely fucking class that he sorted it out.

Viana's to Bernard, great ball.

Your wrong, it wasn't easy because the night we played the pitch was very wet and this meant the pass had to be timed perfect.

Have you ever played football yourself, Alberto?  A greasy surface is ideal for sliding through balls, I was at Highbury that night, it did rain, but it was hardly Noah's Arc conditions.

Have you ever played football yourself, Alberto?  A greasy surface is ideal for sliding through balls, I was at Highbury that night, it did rain, but it was hardly Noah's Arc conditions.

It doesn't take a genius to work out the pass is harder to judge on a wet pitch than a dry one.

Yonks ago, I remember watching Gazza in an away match at Coventry. He had the ball on the right touchline, well inside his own half of the field. Two or three Coventry players converged on him, and he suddenly launched this 40 yard pass with the outside of his right boot, which swerved right into the path of the left back (Tinnion, I think) who was breaking down the opposite wing. Tinnion crossed the ball first time to the far post, Cornwell headed it back and Darren Jackson volleyed it in. Quite the best goal I saw us score in the pre-Premiership days.

But back to the point, that pass that Gazza produced was absolutely perfect, and completely opened the opposition up at a point when they seemed to be closing us right down.

In modern times, the pass that Viana produced to send Bernard in, in that 2-1 home win against Chelsea certainly stands out.

i was hoping someone else would mention this

Titus to Shearer, Man City (a) 2005

I was at that game, and from what I remember of the goal (I can't find it on YouTube to jog my memory), Ben Thatcher should have cut it out easily, but was daydreaming. I wouldn't have that anywhere near a top pass list, I dont think it stands up in comparison to some of the passes played against someone competent.

^bramble just launches it indiscriminately, sometimes it pays off, most the time it doesnt.

i remember kanu making a class pass for anelka at old trafford one year, about 4 man utd players closed him down on the edge of the box and from nowhere he backheels it into the path of anelka. mint.

It doesn't take a genius to work out the pass is harder to judge on a wet pitch than a dry one.

Exactly ye taakin fuckin pish.  How many times do you hear a commentator say "a nice greasy top, perfect conditions for football."  It's easy to judge a pass on a greasy top, as I said clearly you've never played the game at any sort of level.

Exactly ye taakin fuckin pish.  How many times do you hear a commentator say "a nice greasy top, perfect conditions for football."  It's easy to judge a pass on a greasy top, as I said clearly you've never played the game at any sort of level.

Firstly, yes i've played football at a higher level than you have or ever will and secondly the thing between your ears is quite useful when used, the commentators saying this probably haven't played football in their lifetime either dickweed, yes it is better to pass the ball about to each other but that's direct to a player, judging the weight of a pass is completely different.

Just remembered a one I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned. Woodgate to Robert at Goodison in the 2002-3 season. Brought the ball out of defence, disected the Everton midfield & defence with a 50 yard diagonal pass, and Robert lashed it in.

Loved that goal.

Guest Thandi_45

The one where Viana threaded a ball with the outside of his foot to Bellamy between 2 Everton defenders. Any of his passes really. Classy player