Roeder Resigns (paid off tbh) - Official.

Nate

Seems he wasn't too popular:

Players lose faith in latest Tyneside victim

Geordie fans make their anger known during another woeful display, reports Michael Walker

Monday May 7, 2007

The Guardian

Even at Newcastle United, where the relationship with discord could be said to be umbilical, Saturday presented the faithful with a fresh low. And while it may have been recognisable as another incoherent end to a familiar season of non-attainment, it still hurts each time. It was painful to watch, particularly the moment when, with the stadium four-fifths empty as the players were asked to perform an obligatory lap of "honour", the manager, Glenn Roeder, walked across towards young James Milner and offered to pat him on the back. The player did not acknowledge it.

There was no sense of shock that Roeder left yesterday. Whether he offered his resignation or was pushed seems almost pointless to argue just now. He was cornered by results and by a demanding chairman with a populist bent. The fans had also begun to turn on Roeder, en masse for the first time, although it felt like the end as far back as the Ides of March.

That was when Newcastle's implosion in Alkmaar sent them out of the Uefa Cup at the last 16 stage. Kieron Dyer said it would take "a long time to get that out of our system" and Newcastle have won only one of their eight games since. Roeder disputed Dyer's assessment but it felt correct then and has not been disproved.

The players have to take their share of responsibility but so does Roeder. Milner may dispute the apparent cold shoulder but in the stands it was evidence that Roeder was, at best, struggling to inspire this group of players any more. On Saturday there had already been a refusal to shake hands by Titus Bramble when he was substituted and then Stephen Carr declined to go out for the parade despite Roeder's request as the Irishman disappeared down the tunnel.There had been a form of writing on the wall, courtesy of dressing-room mutterings of discontent, for the past few weeks. Roeder started accusing his team in public and as each week brought a new defeat or limp effort, the sense of distance between manager and players and manager and boardroom grew. Against Blackburn on Saturday, Newcastle were dreadful and injuries could not be used as a reason.

Roeder has a just explanation for a poor Premiership finish in the crisis that deprived him of Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi in the first season post-Alan Shearer. But of late Roeder's repeated references to those injuries, plus the Uefa Cup exit and then this run of bad form has seen his popularity locally plummet.

Shepherd's December damned-with-faint-praise description of the manager as lacking "stardust" told another story. When Roeder had succeeded Graeme Souness last February his common sense brought unity and shape to a shambles of a team. Roeder offered a different sort of Newcastle United manager from the previous "big" personalities: Souness, Robson, Gullit, Dalglish, Keegan.

The lack of big-time charisma did not matter. He was a former club captain who understood the frustrated soul of Tyneside, unlike his predecessor, and as Newcastle under Roeder restored some credibility to the club, some, post-West Ham, came to Roeder himself. There was an emphatic victory at the Stadium of Light. Roeder was happy, proud, accessible and Newcastle's next manager.

The contrast with now is illuminating. Of late he has started to describe himself as "super-positive" yet he has appeared angst-ridden and, perhaps understandably given the passage of events, paranoid.

But then Roeder was never 100% sure of his level of control, though it can be guaranteed that it was not 100%. Who brought Olivier Bernard back to the club? Who made the decision to dispense with Kevin Bond, a Roeder appointment, after the airing of the Panorama programme? If Roeder ever disagreed with decisions, did he have the strength to fight them?

He no longer has Shearer around either. With Owen's injury and Ameobi due for an operation, Shearer goals, plus his massive presence in the dressing room has been emphasised this season in his absence.

So Roeder was hindered seriously by circumstance but while Saturday's performance included Owen for another 90 minutes, it lacked just about everything else. Mark Hughes has not been mentioned as a possible contender for the job but his Rovers side were everything Newcastle were not: coherent, gutsy, clinical. They defended like men interested in defending as opposed to Newcastle: when Benni McCarthy and Jason Roberts scored their goals they were unchallenged.

Newcastle now have one remaining game, at Watford, a former Roeder club. But he will not be there. His medical history, he often said, gives him a unique sense of perspective in football. But Roeder will still be bitterly disappointed and a sadness will be if the memory of his days as a Newcastle player - he once wore the No9 unbelievably - is compromised.

from what i have been told by my person ITK is that Keegan has been approached to have a role in some capacity at the club and that Big Sam will be in on tuesday if things go well tomorrow. A shearer and rob lee combination has also been discussed. If this info is wrong im sorry so dont lynch me.

from what i have been told by my person ITK is that Keegan has been approached to have a role in some capacity at the club and that Big Sam will be in on tuesday if things go well tomorrow. A shearer and rob lee combination has also been discussed. If this info is wrong im sorry so dont lynch me.

He's got his Soccer Circus thing though - wouldn't be surprised about Allardyce although would be about Shearer and Lee.

Guest Shibby

So Roeder has finally resigned. Least the man has a lil more integrity then Souness.

But surprisingly I'm not feeling anything.... perhaps I've been numbed by the load of shambles the club has been through. I just pray we get the right man this time round. NOT SAMMYBOY PLZ!!!I have a very bad feeling it will be souneness all over again.

Elation comes from appointing the right man and not from the sacking of a poor manager.

Guest yoshi

Thought when he was first appointed full-time manager that it was a bad move by Shepherd. Roeder wasn't cut out for the job, but he was doing a nice job at the Youth Academy. Such an appointment not only risk losing another manager and setting the team back, but also losing a good coaching staff at the academy.

Sadly, that's turned out to be exactly true....

I have to say I was one of those people... not happy when Roeder was appointed, but satisfied - I guess I was taken in by the positive results of last season, the fact he knew the club and would always strive for the best for this club.

What I wasn't aware of at the time was that West Ham wasn't an anomoly - he really does struggle to bring the best out of the players at his disposal, and for all his selflessness and wanting the best for the club, he was little more than a populist who said what needed to be said, and failed to take the actions necessary to back those words up.

My faith took it's first serious knocks in August - I had faith in his transfer manouverings right up until the last week of the window, all that pole-position bollocks and the desperate signings of Sibierski, Bernard and Rossi.

His team played shite football, struggling even in pre-season to overcome mediocre Intertoto opponents, and soon enough they were getting poor results in the league...

Then came Birmingham and AZ - probably our biggest crunch matches of the season, and were tactical failures on an astonishing level. Subsequent bawling out of players, and their reactions on the pitch meant it was a matter of time before Freddy pulled the trigger.

Out of this whole farce we can only hope that the next appointment has us moving onwards and upwards - I want Big Sam but what I want doesn't mean shite. What I don't want is a managerial search that goes through until August and sees us appointing Coleman or Bruce...

Guest Ridzuan

I really hope this news is true,well it seem that is the case already.Its about time Roeder leave the club,whether he resign or he is sack I dont care though I believe it is the latter.I might not like him as a manager but I think he is a good person who wants to do well for the club.Unfortunately for him,he is not up to that level yet.Nevertheless,he has made some important and great contributions to the club,so I would like to thank him for that.Now as for the new manager,as much as I hope Mourinho could come,it will be highly unlikely and Allardyce is looking to be the new manager which I dont have any problem with.I just wondering why is the club taking too long to make the annoucement an official one.

Guest Ridzuan

Another crap club statement that takes up less space than the accompanying photograph.

Maybe it is way the club show its gratitudes for Glenn.Speaking of gratitudes,anyone here planning to make a video tribute for Glenn?

"Sam Allardyce is understood to be the preferred replacement and reportedly has been offered a three-year contract at St James' already. But there is no appointment anticipated this week and the more time that elapses the more other interested parties will get in touch"

Glenn Roeder, walked across towards young James Milner and offered to pat him on the back. The player did not acknowledge it.

"Would you like a pat on the back James?"

Who the fuck offers to pat someone on the back?  :lol:

"Sam Allardyce is understood to be the preferred replacement and reportedly has been offered a three-year contract at St James' already. But there is no appointment anticipated this week and the more time that elapses the more other interested parties will get in touch"

Where did u get this from?

Where did u get this from?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2074164,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=5