Barton on his way to Toon?

stozo

I'm neither pro or anti Barton. I think he's a good player, good engine, got drive and can grab a game by the scruff of its neck - perhaps something our CM's have been lacking in this season.

That said, his attitude is questionnable. No doubt.

My problem with this (should we show an interest or indeed sign him) is that, in some respects, it's another Damien Duff style signing i.e: We're buying him because he's unexpectedly available, slightly cheaper than perhaps he's worth and maybe we don't want say an Everton, Villa or Portsmouth to sign him.

There's no planning. It's not like we've wanted him for years and now our chance has suddenly arrived nor it is that he's good enough to build a team around (Lets face it, he's no Zidane).

Does Sam already know what he wants to do with Emre, Butt and Parker? Does he know for sure that he won't play Milner, Dyer or the Zog through the middle? Surely not, at least not already?

If we get (or even try to buy him) it's almost like its for the wrong reasons.

Good post, though the only thing i'd change is that I think his attitude is beyond just questionable. For that reason i'd sway towards avoiding him.

Good on the pitch, a liability off it. Can you see him down the Quayside being a good lad, no? Neither can I, he isn't worth the baggage that will come. Can he not tap up Nolan?

Viduka, if Sam can get the best out of him would be a great siging, even better if Owen stays.

Guest smoggeordie

Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton has been arrested by police investigating an alleged training ground fight with a team-mate.

Greater Manchester Police said the 24-year-old was questioned on suspicion of assault.

Ousmane Dabo claims he was attacked during a training session at City's Carrington training ground on 1 May.

A police spokesman said that Mr Barton had been bailed until 11 July pending further enquiries.

A police spokesman confirmed: "A 24-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a Section 20 assault following an incident when a 30-year-old man was assaulted at Carrington."

Ousmane Dabo, 30, was treated in hospital for injuries to his eye, nose and lip following the alleged incident.

I'm neither pro or anti Barton. I think he's a good player, good engine, got drive and can grab a game by the scruff of its neck - perhaps something our CM's have been lacking in this season.

That said, his attitude is questionnable. No doubt.

My problem with this (should we show an interest or indeed sign him) is that, in some respects, it's another Damien Duff style signing i.e: We're buying him because he's unexpectedly available, slightly cheaper than perhaps he's worth and maybe we don't want say an Everton, Villa or Portsmouth to sign him.

There's no planning. It's not like we've wanted him for years and now our chance has suddenly arrived nor it is that he's good enough to build a team around (Lets face it, he's no Zidane).

Does Sam already know what he wants to do with Emre, Butt and Parker? Does he know for sure that he won't play Milner, Dyer or the Zog through the middle? Surely not, at least not already?

If we get (or even try to buy him) it's almost like its for the wrong reasons.

We don't know it would be for the wrong reasons. Maybe Sam has tracked him for a while, maybe he will take a look at our squad of midfielders and decide that we need Barton.

I'd prefer not to see him at the club, but just because he is available cheaper than he should be doesn't mean we are buying him for the wrong reasons.

Looking back at Sams's transfers dealings his controversial ones haven't turned out too bad!

If Sam decides to play 4-3-3 what about a midfield of:

-------------Butt-----------

Barton---------------Emre

?

Is this because Barton has beaten up the rest of our team?

Guest VegasToon

I am just wondering if Barton's recent trouble has more to do with his desire to win.  Maybe the player was pulling a N'zogbia and Barton just did what everyone wants to do when they hear a player is thinking of themselves and not the team.  

Just a thought.

I think Barton needs a manager to help him focus his passion on the field instead of off it.  Big Sam might be that manager.  

I am just wondering if Barton's recent trouble has more to do with his desire to win.  Maybe the player was pulling a N'zogbia and Barton just did what everyone wants to do when they hear a player is thinking of themselves and not the team.  

Just a thought.

I think Barton needs a manager to help him focus his passion on the field instead of off it.  Big Sam might be that manager.  

No. He's a nutter.

Emre going?  Or you hope he is?  Why?

his disappearing act when we're against big clubs or losing?

the lack of actual end product?

Never/very rarely used properly in his time here. Could be so good for us and i really hope Sam gets the best out of him.

Never/very rarely used properly in his time here. Could be so good for us and i really hope Sam gets the best out of him.

Couldn't agree more

Would like Viduka, don't fancy Barton though!

Why not? He's the nice guy of the family man  :lol:

He's just bashes kids and puts cigars out in trainee's eyes, its not as if he's a racist axe murderer or owt man  :lol:

Sadly, but supporters of clubs that actually win things will tell you this is irrelevant.

Carry on your moral crusade instead as long as you like.

Why are there so many Emre bashers about? In fact why are there people so willing to see the back of so many players, i.e Parker, Emre, Martins etc. Has anyone heard of squad building??

let me guess, you used to watch a lot of Italian league and Turkish internaitonal football, so you know just how fantastic he is.

:lol: :lol:

Why are there so many Emre bashers about? In fact why are there people so willing to see the back of so many players, i.e Parker, Emre, Martins etc. Has anyone heard of squad building??

Emre isn't good enough, he isn't commited enough to the toon, he disappears in away game, he doesn't get goals, he doesn't deliver effective balls, he's a luxury player. Thats all I'm really bothered about. Barton is much more valuable than Emre.

you build on strength, not medicority/weaknesses/potential.

errr......why would anyone want Joey Barton here? The boy is a thug and is precisely what nufc dont need, if anyone is idiotic enough to write off any ofhis past mis demeanours on the basis that he' a good player, then they need slappin. It ridiculous, the boy clearly has no respect for anyone..his team mates, his manager, even players who are a class above him(although it was a fair point) it was extremely unproffessional. Why would anyone wqant nufc name dragged through the mud AGAIN with some idiotic thuggish behaviour that Barton would undoubtably bring? Isn't this exactly what nufc are tryig to avoid.??

errr......why would anyone want Joey Barton here? The boy is a thug and is precisely what nufc dont need, if anyone is idiotic enough to write off any ofhis past mis demeanours on the basis that he' a good player, then they need slappin. It ridiculous, the boy clearly has no respect for anyone..his team mates, his manager, even players who are a class above him(although it was a fair point) it was extremely unproffessional. Why would anyone wqant nufc name dragged through the mud AGAIN with some idiotic thuggish behaviour that Barton would undoubtably bring? Isn't this exactly what nufc are tryig to avoid.??

we shpuldn't build a squad on thugs, any more than we should on poor players.

let me guess, you used to watch a lot of Italian league and Turkish internaitonal football, so you know just how fantastic he is.

:lol: :lol:

Erm, no mate. I've watched Emre the Newcastle United player for the past two seasons, and have managed to pick up that he is far better for us, and on the whole far more effective, when played in an advanced position - somewhere where he simply hasn't played enough. Rather than deep central mid or out on the left.

Hope that answers your query.

So why would you not want them in your squad?? Which one of those 3 players that i have mentioned is mediocre?

So why would you not want them in your squad?? Which one of those 3 players that i have mentioned is mediocre?

parker.