Allardyce confirmed as Newcastle manager - 3 year deal.

Paully

Guest Phil K

Im very happy with this appointment.

It sounds to me that freddy Har promised money for the summer as well

Lets just hope he gets she of shambles.

"She of Shambles" ????????????????

Summary of what he's said so far:

He wants Owen to stay, and will be talking to him in private shortly.

He doesn't want good players, he wants players with the right mentality.

Gary Speed is his best ever signing.

Shepherd persuaded him to come here.

Long ball comments are a myth.

He doesn't want the England job.

Say again?

I think there's a 'just' missing.

Guest johnson293

This line scares me.

"He doesn't want good players, he wants players with the right mentality".

Isn't that just a re-wording of Souness wanting "proper players"?

Maybe a slight mis-quote?

He may have said "doesn't just want good players, but also players with the right mentality". (EDIT: beaten to it above)

A good observation really - how many foreign players haven't done well here, that a bit of background checking may have helped with?

Luque for example - clearly a decent player before he came here - arguably not given a chance, but maybe he has had problems settling as well.

Seems Sam will be looking at all of these kind of aspects with potential targets in future, and possibly the current squad members.

MJ

Guest johnson293

Whats he saying??

"Reports last week of a twist in the tail regarding the managerial appointment, were wide of the mark"

Whats he saying??

"Reports last week of a twist in the tail regarding the managerial appointment, were wide of the mark"

Someone put up what he says. Thanks. :)

Exactly what we need.

When we signed Souness people came up to me and said “what the fuck are you lot up to” and I tried to defend him with the “the dressing room needs sorting out” line even though deep down I was pessimistic, when we signed Roeder people questioned the ambition but I defended him with his record as caretaker manager.

Since we have been strongly linked with Allardyce the only comments have been things like “you have done well there” “He will get you back” etc etc.. The first time in ages I would have been confident in defending him and no-one bloody questions the appointment! (away from the forums).

:D

We're not goign to be challenging for 4th next season, and to be honest, i think we'll not get into the UEFA places next year either by the end of the season.

Disappointed in the appointment, really.

However, Allardyce should get all of our support, as he tries to prove himself. In my mind, it should only be a few months before his intentions are clear, hsi attitudes come out, and the existence or otherwise of a long-term plan, etc, is clear. After that point, we'll be able to see whether or not he deserves full support.

We're not goign to be challenging for 4th next season, and to be honest, i think we'll not get into the UEFA places next year either by the end of the season.

It's be a major achievement if we did either of those things. Things like that don't happen over night. Sir Bobby was a world renowned manager with a fantastic track record, and it took him three seasons to go from 13th to the European spots. The transitional periods under Souness and Roeder were never going to climax in anything - because they were crap managers. Allardyce is a good manager, and the appointment gives the club major potential.

However, Allardyce should get all of our support, as he tries to prove himself. In my mind, it should only be a few months before his intentions are clear, hsi attitudes come out, and the existence or otherwise of a long-term plan, etc, is clear. After that point, we'll be able to see whether or not he deserves full support.

I don't get how you can seriously say that NM. If you look at his Bolton record, his long term plan their he has established them as a europe challenging force on a tiny budget with low resources.

I agree however UEFA would be hard to get into next season.

Guest Armchair Pundit

I fucking hate Ruud Gullit, has to stick his oar in going on about how he reckons Sam will struggle to bring in big named players at Newcastle and how players only come to us if the don't have other options... he's just bitter because he was shite.

Getting back to Sam's appointment though, I have a good feeling about him coming in. I think some people need to remember that Sir Bobby had a couple of rubbish seasons when he first started with us so there's no point expecting instant success. At least with Sam it looks like he's coming in to set up a structure which is something we haven't had for a very long time (if ever).

Mick Lowes are saying that the worst kept secret in football just been revealed. I wonder what Anal Oliver thinks about that:D

Haha, he's replacing Glenn Roeder who resigned 9 YEARS ago! There's only one Mick Lowes:D

WOW that's some achievement already. 2 months grace of support from NM (although I'll believe it when I see it) before he's declared the worst manager in the league. Is that 2 months starting from now, or the start of the season?