nufc.com

lovejoy

Guest Stephen927

Wise done him to give himself a better chance of getting a game. Hughton is trying his best to avoid selecting Dennis Wise in midfield by playing Cacapa there, despite Wise's attempts to make as little midfield signings in the summer as possible, while selling players who can play in midfield, thus bettering his chances of playing.

It's all about Wise getting his boots out again and playing for NUFC.

nufc.com making totally unnecessary negative remarks about what Kinnear has said today in an attempt to rally the team and supporters.

What Kinnear said makes sense and is exactly what he should be saying, in these desperate times it would be best if everyone with Newcastle's interest at heart rallied around until a permanent change is made. Kinnear like everyone knows (including himself) is here to do a dirty and temporary job that no one else (including King Kev) wants right now. Perhaps the boys at NUFC should just support the club and stop using their medium for their own agendas once again.

For the record here's what Kinnear said. Hardly offensive is it ?

"A team like Newcastle United should not be in the position it is in today, But a couple of wins will change the situation, and it is up to me to bring out the best in them.

"There's a fear factor and I have never had that in the dressing room before. In fact, in my time at Wimbledon, the place was always bubbling.

"Now what the Newcastle United players need to do is to clear their minds and focus on the job.

"When my career is over, I will be able to say I worked at Newcastle with the best supporters in the world.

"As far as Habib Beye is concerned, he is joining the first team squad for training tomorrow and with the fact we have an extra day, I would say that his chances of coming back are 50-50.

Confirming talk of a possible return for Stephen Carr:

"We are looking at his position, but a lot will depend on his fitness. We are short at both right and left-back, and it is not fair asking young boys who are really central defenders to play there.

"When that happens, they look what they are - central defenders playing as full-backs.

"Stephen Carr is available and he is an experienced full-back, so we will just have to wait and see.'

I've been a fan of .com for as long as I can remember and they've often been a great source of information, but recently they've started to wind me up. They're entitled to their opinions though.

Same here, they are constantly negative. Seems that the first sign of trouble these days they make out the worlds coming to an end.

Guest toonlass

Was thinking that myself. I have a feeling they have their "Kinnear is going to fail so why back him anyway!" heads on. So Kinnear says the lads are deflated, and need to be more focused. I see it as a positive that Kinnear is able to come out and say that, we all know it in reality, we see the players on the pitch looking like they haven't got a clue. If Kinnear can get a team spirit back in the dressing room, and back on the pitch then that has to be positive.

Good article gone up on there now, from the New Statesman - i think i'm beginning to warm to him a bit as well - would actually be nice for him to hang about in a coaching / assistant role as and when the inevitable KK return occurs - couldn't do any worse then old Terry Mac...

Joe's "Kraysie" Gang

Now that is the London Mafia....

Speaking of Joe, he gets a mention in the latest edition of New Statesman, where columnist Hunter Davies supplies the following anecdotes: 

Joe Kinnear used to have a message on his answerphone which said: "If you're ringing from Real Madrid or Barcelona, leave a message now. If not, p*ss off."

This was during his years managing Wimbledon, taking them to sixth in the League and three Cup semis. Then, in 1999, he had a heart attack. While he was recovering, I went to his house in Mill Hill most days, writing his biography. It was partly therapy; it took his mind off his health problems. The book didn't do very well. It's best to be a legend to sell football books, like Gazza, or at the height of your powers at a big club. Joe was still out of work when the book came out, so he had no constituency.

He wasn't born Joe Kinnear. He was born Joe Reddy in Dublin in 1946. But when his parents' marriage collapsed, his mother fled to England, met and married a man called Kinnear and changed Joe's surname.

In 1967, Joe played in the FA Cup final for Spurs, the youngest player on the pitch, and was named man of the match. I first met him in 1972, when I was doing a book about Spurs. I'd ring him up if I'd missed training or an away game, and he'd tell me what had happened. He was 25 at the time, a handsome, dashing bachelor, lean and fit, just 11 stone, always in the latest fashion, hair well coiffeured, driving about in an MGB sports car.

And yet he was still living at home with his mum in Watford. Young players often did in those days, as even the stars didn't earn more than £200 a week. He did have a girlfriend, Bonnie - later his wife - whom by chance I had met before I got to know Joe. She had her own boutique in Hampstead, which I occasionally frequented in those brief moments in life when I bought new clothes. Unusual, then and now, for a footballer to have a middle-class girlfriend with her own business.

At the time of his heart attack in 1999, Joe was 16 stone and, er, not exactly fit or coiffeured. When he was ranting in the Wimbledon dugout, the away fans shouted, "You fat bastard."

Despite the best efforts of Bonnie, his diet had been appalling - not eating all day, except breakfast fry-ups at a transport caff beside Wimbledon's training ground. Going to games every evening, coming home at two in the morning, buying fish and chips to eat in front of the video, watching more matches. After home games, win or lose, Sam Hammam, the owner, took him and Bonnie to Quaglino's, where they began with champagne and oysters, going on to smoked salmon, steak and the best Fleurie.

He did recover, and went on to manage more clubs, and is now filling in at Newcastle. At least he was ten minutes ago. He is a motivator, understands players, likes a laugh.

When he took over at Wimbledon in 1992, he was asked by the press what the team needed. He replied, two strong midfield players. Had he any in mind? "Yeah, Reg and Ronnie Kray, they'd do for me."

About a week later, his secretary said there was a letter from an HM Prison, sent from R Kray, prisoner number 73338.

"I thought f*cking hell, he's going to send the boys after me for taking their name in vain."

Inside was a nice, if rather childlike, handwritten letter from Ronnie: "It was very good of you to speak well of my brother Reggie and me. I am quite willing to play for you on Saturdays if you can get me out of here. Ha ha. I would like to wish you all the best in the world."

Joe will need it at Newcastle.

Good article gone up on there now, from the New Statesman - i think i'm beginning to warm to him a bit as well - would actually be nice for him to hang about in a coaching / assistant role as and when the inevitable KK return occurs - couldn't do any worse then old Terry Mac...

Joe's "Kraysie" Gang

Now that is the London Mafia....

Speaking of Joe, he gets a mention in the latest edition of New Statesman, where columnist Hunter Davies supplies the following anecdotes: 

Joe Kinnear used to have a message on his answerphone which said: "If you're ringing from Real Madrid or Barcelona, leave a message now. If not, p*ss off."

This was during his years managing Wimbledon, taking them to sixth in the League and three Cup semis. Then, in 1999, he had a heart attack. While he was recovering, I went to his house in Mill Hill most days, writing his biography. It was partly therapy; it took his mind off his health problems. The book didn't do very well. It's best to be a legend to sell football books, like Gazza, or at the height of your powers at a big club. Joe was still out of work when the book came out, so he had no constituency.

He wasn't born Joe Kinnear. He was born Joe Reddy in Dublin in 1946. But when his parents' marriage collapsed, his mother fled to England, met and married a man called Kinnear and changed Joe's surname.

In 1967, Joe played in the FA Cup final for Spurs, the youngest player on the pitch, and was named man of the match. I first met him in 1972, when I was doing a book about Spurs. I'd ring him up if I'd missed training or an away game, and he'd tell me what had happened. He was 25 at the time, a handsome, dashing bachelor, lean and fit, just 11 stone, always in the latest fashion, hair well coiffeured, driving about in an MGB sports car.

And yet he was still living at home with his mum in Watford. Young players often did in those days, as even the stars didn't earn more than £200 a week. He did have a girlfriend, Bonnie - later his wife - whom by chance I had met before I got to know Joe. She had her own boutique in Hampstead, which I occasionally frequented in those brief moments in life when I bought new clothes. Unusual, then and now, for a footballer to have a middle-class girlfriend with her own business.

At the time of his heart attack in 1999, Joe was 16 stone and, er, not exactly fit or coiffeured. When he was ranting in the Wimbledon dugout, the away fans shouted, "You fat b******."

Despite the best efforts of Bonnie, his diet had been appalling - not eating all day, except breakfast fry-ups at a transport caff beside Wimbledon's training ground. Going to games every evening, coming home at two in the morning, buying fish and chips to eat in front of the video, watching more matches. After home games, win or lose, Sam Hammam, the owner, took him and Bonnie to Quaglino's, where they began with champagne and oysters, going on to smoked salmon, steak and the best Fleurie.

He did recover, and went on to manage more clubs, and is now filling in at Newcastle. At least he was ten minutes ago. He is a motivator, understands players, likes a laugh.

When he took over at Wimbledon in 1992, he was asked by the press what the team needed. He replied, two strong midfield players. Had he any in mind? "Yeah, Reg and Ronnie Kray, they'd do for me."

About a week later, his secretary said there was a letter from an HM Prison, sent from R Kray, prisoner number 73338.

"I thought f*cking hell, he's going to send the boys after me for taking their name in vain."

Inside was a nice, if rather childlike, handwritten letter from Ronnie: "It was very good of you to speak well of my brother Reggie and me. I am quite willing to play for you on Saturdays if you can get me out of here. Ha ha. I would like to wish you all the best in the world."

Joe will need it at Newcastle.

Hunter Davies. Class.

It further iilustrates how pitifully low today's sports journalism has sunk (with a couple of exceptions) in comparison to scribes like Davies.

No wonder they can't even give their papers away nowadays.

Guest BooBoo

I've been a fan of .com for as long as I can remember and they've often been a great source of information, but recently they've started to wind me up. They're entitled to their opinions though.

Same here, they are constantly negative. Seems that the first sign of trouble these days they make out the worlds coming to an end.

Can only repeat this. I dont like the rather aloof attitude they have towards some other supporters.

Says on .com that Barton is serving his 5th game of a 6 game ban.... I thought it was 12???

12 game ban but 6 of those games are suspended. Meaning if he gets sent off again this year for violent conduct he gets a 6 game ban.

Oh right I see, I was of the assumption he was pretty much out of the picture for us for the foreseeable. So that means there is the potential for Butt not to be in our team pretty soon (although going by JK's comments that's not likely to happen).

• 2 months later...

I've usually stuck up for .com but I can't with this:

On the last day of 2008:

But what we really want to say is this

December 28th 2008, Newcastle versus Liverpool.

The final home game of the year; billed by fans as a celebration of Sir Bobby Robson. With the former United manager in attendance, songs are sung in his honour and a charity bucket collection held outside the ground.

So far, so good - on message, if you will.

However, that demonstration of support wasn't quite as massive as predicted - or reported, in some outlets.

And the final sum collected of £2.5K hardly seems vast, given the crowd of 52,000 present (with a non-NUFC

web forum collecting 10% of that amount alone).

Having supported the charity by publicising various fund- raising initiatives, we were asked to mention plans for the Liverpool game - and were happy to do so.

At the risk of being tarred and feathered though, we'll now break ranks to say that we don't go along with the current trend that portrays Robson as a latter-day living saint.

And we certainly don't subscribe to the parallel wisdom that now sees Robson's departure from SJP in 2004 as being a) disgraceful, b) the source of our current woes.   

What we're restating (and we never presume to express anything other than a personal opinion) is our original feeling that things had run its course and the club was starting to go backwards.

But we weren't alone in thinking that - as the mass walkout in the Wolves home game of May 2004 amply demonstrated. Compare that to when Robson was sacked three months later, with barely a murmur of dissent.

It would be interesting to know how many of the fans who gave a vote of "no confidence" in Robson against Wolves  applauded him four years on - and how many were less forthcoming in their praise or absent from SJP altogether.

In case you think we're being inconsistent here though and rewriting history ourselves, our undoctored report of the game in question remains available online here.

What really depresses us is that we've fallen so far in less than half a decade - and that people happily rewrite history and now trot out the "wrong to sack him" line.

When the inevitable happens, we'll pay our respects in a far more genuine manner than for most of the big names of football, whose recent passing meant nothing to us.

However, we won't be joining calls for parts of the ground to be renamed in Sir Bobby's memory - we're content that the bust of him in the Milburn Stand is a suitable tribute.

On a wider scale, there's a tangible legacy in the newly- constructed unit at the Freeman hospital that bears his name and the accolades bestowed on Sir Bobby by both the county of his birth and the city of Newcastle - that recognise his standing as a regional personality.

There's no disrespect here for the man or for his charity - his players may have prevented him from being captured forever in our mind's eye as a Newcastle boss holding silverware, but it was Robson's own decision to spend his playing career elsewhere.

For that reason alone, the handed-on memories of Milburn, Mitchell, White, Harvey and many others will abide longer than those of Bassedas, Bowyer, Cordone and Gavilan.

We really don't want to to mess with people's beliefs or values here, but before the stream of popular opinion turns into a torrent, here's our partly political broadcast on behalf of the independent-thinking minority/majority.

Guest firetotheworks

Smug, traditionalist, nit picking shite.

This whole him having his playing and managerial career elsewhere argument is moot when its obvious that our love for the man is based upon just that, love. Not stats.

I think that's spot on actually.

It's needless and pointless and that's before going into the content.

Indeed, smacks of sheer ignorance, thoughtlessness & stupidity.

All stuff they've said before, so why the need to say it again?

Gets them hits on their website though, which is all that seems to bother them.

Pair of cretins.

Pair of cretins.

I can't understand the need for it, I really can't.

Guest firetotheworks

Pair of cretins.

I can't understand the need for it, I really can't.

Understand this: No one agrees with them and they want to change all our minds.

i must say, i dont think what they have said is wrong, but what was the need to say it again? the timing is awful and its just so needless.

i stand by my o.p in this thread, pair of mutants who have got way above their station.