nufc.com

lovejoy

Plenty of people thought Carr was still a good player even after 90% of Newcastle fans had realised that he was a poor substitute for a tub of lard.  They see the highlights on Match of the Day where they'll see a decent pass or tackle and think they're doing it all the time, not realising that was probably the only time during the whole game they didn't screw up.

I'm sure I read somewhere on this forum a Birmingham fan saying Carr had been their best player! The manager wants to keep him too apparently! Imagine, Carr in the premiership and Newcastle not. There will be a lot of our 'shit' former players still playing in the Premiership next season.

I certainly don't want us to go down, I just don't see us being able to afford a mass turnover of playing staff unless we go down. If we stay up I expect much less transfer activity.

That last line is spot on Dave. Something people will have to come to terms with. If we do stay up, don't expect a clear out to the degree people hope for, it's just not going to be that easy.

redknapp style it'll have to be, a few strategic purchases and sales plus some good loans

Redknapp style? The man who just spent £46m on a decent inherited squad having arrived from bankrupting Pompey?

I think if we stay up we'll be able to offload Smith, Barton and Geremi (Geremi only has one year left and hasn't figured so I think he'll want to try to look for a two year deal somewhere else) and of course Owen, Viduka, Cacapa and Gonzales are out of contract so we can just release them.

That would almost totally purge our squad of the highly paid wasters that are drowning this club (something like a £22 million wage drop).  Then we'll only have Duff, Butt and Ameobi to remove IMO.

I certainly don't want us to go down, I just don't see us being able to afford a mass turnover of playing staff unless we go down. If we stay up I expect much less transfer activity.

That last line is spot on Dave. Something people will have to come to terms with. If we do stay up, don't expect a clear out to the degree people hope for, it's just not going to be that easy.

redknapp style it'll have to be, a few strategic purchases and sales plus some good loans

Redknapp style? The man who just spent £46m on a decent inherited squad having arrived from bankrupting Pompey?

I prefer David Moyes' style myself like.

Then we'll only have Duff, Butt and Ameobi to remove IMO.

I heard Ameobi's new contract is actually on less wages and wouldn't count him as highly paid.

(Though still criminal on every level).

that's him yeah, the guy who assembled a quality team at pompey that tore us to fucking shreds at home and destroyed cacapa's career in the process

and won the fa cup

him

that's him yeah, the guy who assembled a quality team at pompey that tore us to fucking shreds at home and destroyed cacapa's career in the process

and won the fa cup

him

You think Ashley's going to provide any manager we have with enough funds to bankrupt us? Why do you think Portsmouth is for sale for about £20m now?

Taking the Redknapp approach of throwing loads of cash around would be brilliant, I won't dispute that. He's not done any of his famed 'wheeler dealer' activity for about 5 years now.

Guest Heneage

Yet somehow he is called a "Wheeler Dealer" that is his greatest achievement, people ignore that he left Pompey with 65m wage bill.

Barry Glendennig on the Guardian podcast was claiming that we don't have any wage reductions in place should we be relegated, he claimed that it meant Viduka and Owen would be on the same wage in the Championship, what he had forgot to check was whether these players were actually still under contract past June 2009.

and won the fa cup

him

You think Ashley's going to provide any manager we have with enough funds to bankrupt us? Why do you think Portsmouth is for sale for about £20m now?

Taking the Redknapp approach of throwing loads of cash around would be brilliant, I won't dispute that. He's not done any of his famed 'wheeler dealer' activity for about 5 years now.

no?  what did he buy diarra & muntari for?  and what were they both sold for? 

bouba diop was a reasonable deal and campbell & distin were decent signings

what i was getting at was redknapp takes chances on players who have reps but are unproven...what the fuck else are we gonna do?  sign more duffs, smiths and nolans?

no thanks

Players he signed have since gone for a profit, and yet they're still in a much worse financial position that when he arrived. Look at wages as well, Campbell is on £105k, Distin £80k, James on a huge whack as is Crouchy. Diarra and Muntari were very good signings (we were also in for Diarra but had managerial issues) but he hits with as many as he misses (Utaka £7m, Nugent £6m, Kaboul £5m). They've gone from ambitious in the market to having to sell their best players almost overnight after he left.

Overall he did a good job for Pompey, but I don't think financial acumen with regards to transfer policy (something we're clearly going to need to at least some degree unless something dramatic happens) is one of his strengths, far from it.

and won the fa cup

him

It really irritates me when the media mention that at the open of the window. He's just as much a chequebook manager as anyone else in the league.

Players he signed have since gone for a profit, and yet they're still in a much worse financial position that when he arrived. Look at wages as well, Campbell is on £105k, Distin £80k, James on a huge whack as is Crouchy. Diarra and Muntari were very good signings (we were also in for Diarra but had managerial issues) but he hits with as many as he misses (Utaka £7m, Nugent £6m, Kaboul £5m). They've gone from ambitious in the market to having to sell their best players almost overnight after he left.

Overall he did a good job for Pompey, but I don't think financial acumen with regards to transfer policy (something we're clearly going to need to at least some degree unless something dramatic happens) is one of his strengths, far from it.

i'd take redknapps team of high earners over our team of mega-rich fucknuts any day of the week

at least he has the nouse to identify the role of physicality, pace and strength in today's game

i never mentioned his ability to manage a wage bill either, what i said initially was "redknapp style it'll have to be, a few strategic purchases and sales plus some good loans"

redknapp makes good use of the loan system, or did at pompey when he needed to, and made some very good strategic buys imo (campbell, distin, diarra, muntari, diop, defoe to name a few)

not sure what your problem is tbh

The only problem I really have is with Redknapp getting praise for being particularly astute in the market, when in reality he spends a huge amount of money. Fair play to him for doing reasonably well with it, but to imitate his style will take a lot more money than I'd imagine we'll be spending.

The only problem I really have is with Redknapp getting praise for being particularly astute in the market, when in reality he spends a huge amount of money. Fair play to him for doing reasonably well with it, but to imitate his style will take a lot more money than I'd imagine we'll be spending.

did he spend big in his first spell with pompey?  or with southampton or west ham?

i don't think so but i wouldn't swear to it

think it was his first spell at pompey that sticks in my mind, he seemed to use the loan system to great effect but then i might have just imagined it

I think if we stay up we'll be able to offload Smith, Barton and Geremi (Geremi only has one year left and hasn't figured so I think he'll want to try to look for a two year deal somewhere else) and of course Owen, Viduka, Cacapa and Gonzales are out of contract so we can just release them.

That would almost totally purge our squad of the highly paid wasters that are drowning this club (something like a £22 million wage drop).  Then we'll only have Duff, Butt and Ameobi to remove IMO.

Father Teds 5 a side team have a bid in for Geremi I believe.

Guest Howaythetoon

Redknapp is good at getting a collective bunch of players motivated to play with passion and flair. His transfer market dealings are suspect at best. He's blew as much on dross as he's invested wisely. His skills lie in managing players more than in buying them.

In Redknapps first managerial spell at West Ham he bought a load of unheard of foreign players and spent a lot of money. He was probably one of the first to bring in a load of foreign players. Anyway, the whole lot turned out to be utter crap and they were pretty much all got rid of and he finished up buying another team of players.  At the time he was heavily criticised for these foreign purchases.

Guest cfhpantera27

Father Teds 5 a side team have a bid in for Geremi I believe.

;D

• 8 months later...

Nobby's legs started going 7 years ago. You can forgive them for seeing past the romanticism and viewing this for what it most likely is, a pathetic attempt to appease the fans in the wake of failure to land our targets.

poor take on the nobby situation imo.

maybe they think we are getting the likes of kevin kuranyi.

The nufc.com slant on the Solano story is f@ckin ridiculous - but sadly quite typical of them nowadays.

An ex player trains with old club - a pretty common occurence. Somehow (to suit their agenda) they've twisted it to this now being the club's policy on future signings, asking if it will be Dyer, Cort and Alan Foggon next ?

I guess in that case Arsenal will be making moves for Tony Adams, Alan Smith and Charlie George in the coming days.

....having ended a trial spell with League One Colchester.

The Times newspaper have commented that:

"While his link-up with Chris Hughton’s team is intended to be a temporary measure, Newcastle’s coaching staff have been impressed with his fitness and quality."

Not good enough to impress Colchester but apparently impressive from our perspective. As the only benchmark Newcastle's coaching staff currently have is the existing squad that's a pretty damning statement on them. If a word of it's true.

It's not like we are signing him to start on the right every game. I imagine he is a direct relacement for Geremi in that he will start maybe one game and come on as substitute in a few more. He'll als obe cheaper than Geremi would. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.