Mark Viduka signs for Newcastle - 2 years + 1 more optional

Guest SwissMagpie

Guest johnson293

i must say i'm a bit baffled by the joy of viduka signing, don't get me wrong he is a good player and i welcome him with open arms. but please remember that he is 31, tends to have injury problems and occasionally suffers loss of form.... good signing for now, but hardly the player to transform this newcastle side...

I dont see what the issue is to be honest. Yes, he is 31, but i don't imagine we are signing him to build the side around - I would assume (if Martins/Owen stay, he will be back up for them, and maybe occassionally play alongside one of them. Last summer, I would have been dissappointed to get him for a fee, or at the expesne of losing Milner.

But, on a free transfer it is a no brainer really - yes he has had injuries, and occassional doubt over his fitness/committment, but the close of last season showed he can still score goals at this level (7 in 10 games or summit), and that was in a poor Boro side.

If this was Roeder buying him, I would fear he would be one of our only signings - but with Sam at the helm, I see him for what he probably is - a good squad player, available for nowt (except wages) and gives us some much needed depth....and girth aroond the waist!!!

Guest BillyRay Valentine

i must say i'm a bit baffled by the joy of viduka signing, don't get me wrong he is a good player and i welcome him with open arms. but please remember that he is 31, tends to have injury problems and occasionally suffers loss of form.... good signing for now, but hardly the player to transform this newcastle side...

I dont see what the issue is to be honest. Yes, he is 31, but i don't imagine we are signing him to build the side around - I would assume (if Martins/Owen stay, he will be back up for them, and maybe occassionally play alongside one of them. Last summer, I would have been dissappointed to get him for a fee, or at the expesne of losing Milner.

But, on a free transfer it is a no brainer really - yes he has had injuries, and occassional doubt over his fitness/committment, but the close of last season showed he can still score goals at this level (7 in 10 games or summit), and that was in a poor Boro side.

If this was Roeder buying him, I would fear he would be one of our only signings - but with Sam at the helm, I see him for what he probably is - a good squad player, available for nowt (except wages) and gives us some much needed depth....and girth aroond the waist!!!

spot one. v pleased with this too. viduka remains one of the most skillful strikers in the game and on his day is virtually unplayable. superb first touch and vision, excellent hold up play, deceptively quick feet combined with the ability to score goals from pretty much anywhere, he's arguably the complete striking package. everyone's been raving about berbatov, but to my mind viduka is every bit as good. still a bit of a gamble considering his chequered fitness record and a somewhat laissez faire attitude but if anyone is going to coax the best out of him you put your money on allardyce. actually very surprised we've managed to bag him.

Guest onetallpoppy

foxsports here in aus pretty much takes stories from other news outlets so not sure how they came about this one

For free is ok but would prefer younger better players.

Replacement of Sibi, just think of it like that and its a great signing, am not his biggest fan but the stats dont lie and it would fuk the smogs off so much, on a free as well.  :clap:

Guest Kenton Magpie

He pitched in with 19 goals for the boro last year didnt he!?

Excellent signing on a free if he can keep up or maybe increase his standards!

Guest NUFCnutter

OK I apologise. I had a quick look and didnt see the viduka thread. Just delete it. FFS.

:smitten:

Picking up a ~20 goal a season striker, who is to boot absolute class on the ball, on a free transfer. You can't argue with that.

Sibierski : Viduka = Roeder : Allardyce.

If true, Viduka will prove to be excellent value for money - he is great at holding the ball for midfielders/quick

strikers to feed from and will score goals.

Have any of the doubters seen some of the goals he scored for Boro last year !??

A player of his calibre is great business on a 'Free', even for a couple of years.