Joey Barton completes move for £5.8m - Man City

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Invicta_Toon

well from the MCFC thread it seems we have beaten off precisely no other clubs for this player, just like Viduka no doubt

:thup:

Anything relevant to say on the matter then?

totally irrelevant is it?

Not by your usual standards, admittedly.

But more or less, yes.

Didn't see much about other clubs being after Hargreaves or Anderson, this mean Man U are skewered as well?

Barton has been linked quite a bit with West Ham as it happens, though that's not really relevant.

comparing the signing of Hargreaves and Barton? excellent

And how exactly are they not comparable?

the price? the timescale? the circumstances of departure? the buying/selling clubs?

The prices are comparable considering the clubs involved.

Man U paying 17m is about the same as us paying 5.5m really, as we still don't know Ashley's intentions.

Regarding timescale, surely teams have had more time to show interest in Hargreaves?

Two players who both wanted to leave, quite comparable circumstances.

The buying/selling clubs are a level down in the Barton transfer, just as Barton as a player is a step down from Hargreaves.

you can't compare levels, and Man U have been after Hargreaves for years

if it is known that ManU will pay £Xm for Hargreaves, seriously how many clubs do you think will fight them?

and no, Barton doesn't want to leave, he is suspended and open to offers due to his his persistently shit behaviour, despite numerous 'last chances'

we've paid £5.5m because that was the minimum he could go for, do you think Hargreaves was let go for the minumum offer too?

Guest Petay

well from the MCFC thread it seems we have beaten off precisely no other clubs for this player, just like Viduka no doubt

But more or less, yes.

Didn't see much about other clubs being after Hargreaves or Anderson, this mean Man U are skewered as well?

Barton has been linked quite a bit with West Ham as it happens, though that's not really relevant.

I rarely post on here but I read most of the stuff and I can't help but get the feeling that Invicta Toon is a bit of an agumentative idiot with nothing constructive to say so he merely picks holes in other people's posts.  Does anyone else get this vibe?

But more or less, yes.

I rarely post on here but I read most of the stuff and I can't help but get the feeling that Invicta Toon is a bit of an agumentative idiot with nothing constructive to say so he merely picks holes in other people's posts.  Does anyone else get this vibe?

Nail. Head.

But more or less, yes.

Unfortunately yes.

Shak 17m does not = 5m under any circumstances.

Depending on how much a team has to spend then it does, surely?

Say a club has a value of 300m, and another has value of 100m.

Surely the second club would be risking just as much paying 5m for a player as the first would be paying 15?

Guest Invicta_Toon

But more or less, yes.

so sorry son

I think this is a great signing and I think we will get the best out of Joey Barton because our manager is Big Sam

how was that?

Anyone got SSN onkeeps going to David Craig who said something about talking to Sam in last 24 hours but i missed what was said??

Just that Barton was a player who he was looking at (Craig David just confirming the deal really).

I might of missed some more of it but that's all i heard.

Guest Invicta_Toon

some months ago there was a thread that went something along the lines of 'what are the worst possible signings you can imagine this summer?'

be nice to see that again

some months ago there was a thread that went something along the lines of 'what are the worst possible signings you can imagine this summer?'

be nice to see that again

wud be interesting.

At least this transfer makes a change of not replacing players that we are selling/have sold like we normally do which i imagine leads us to paying ridiculous fees/wages as clubs and players hold us to ransom.

Speccy! Thoughts please.

Glad he's gone. Good player, but no-one is worth all the aggro that comes as part of the deal with.

Is anyone going to run a sweepstake on how long its going to be before his next "incident"? I bet he can't make it till christmas  :shifty:.

Hell, he might be in Prison before June is out.

PS: I read something a few pages back - JB has never captained Manchester City for any length of time.

Shak 17m does not = 5m under any circumstances.

Depending on how much a team has to spend then it does, surely?

Say a club has a value of 300m, and another has value of 100m.

Surely the second club would be risking just as much paying 5m for a player as the first would be paying 15?

You're arguing Black is white. Barton and Hargreaves can not be compared as Vic said, Hargreaves was courted only by Man U for ages now. Barton is a troublesome player who has a get-out clause and we have an interest / signed him. Vic was bang on in that they are incomparable situations and you are wrong to argue against that.

For the record for the others piping up, Vic said that no other clubs seemed to be in for Barton. If the petulant kids on here cant read it like that then address the point instead of going on about something that has more to do with other threads, then they are the wums, not Vic.

Argumentative? Yes but seeing as this place relies on the dynamic of 'making a point, then making a counter-point' it seems thats a good characterisitic imo. Unless (not aimed at you shak just cant be arsed to start a new post) you prefer it when everyone says exactly the same thing all the fucking time.

Will be a good signing for us. See him as a potential Bellamy-esque signing - not the best player in the world technically, but high work rate, a psychotic will to win, and the ability to use the attributes he does have (ie application) to good effect means he could turn out to be a top signing. Think hes a good passer of the ball too, albeit a tad inconsistent - similar to Emre.

Will be a shame to see Parker go, but hes been rubbish since his positional change from anchorman to the new Gerrard. Simply doesnt know how to play the role well, and hence, replacing him with someone who does is simply a good decision.

Guest teepee

i find it unacceptable that we are signing a player with his history - class player and all that, but just as the situation was with bowyer, i cannot accept morons like him!

Look ... there is no point trying to justify this signing or making excuses for it by saying things like this is the best type of player we can attract. Barton has been signed because Allardyce rates him highly and it is as simple as that.

Now from a personal point of view I have always admired him as a football player. He is from the same mould as Scott parker as far as his committment and drive, but he is a much better shooter and is also a more confident and better passer of the ball. On the field he also appears to have a good rapport with his teammates and doesn't seem to get down on them at all.

I personally have high hopes for him because I genuinely feel that he doesn't intentionally go out of his way to be destructive and that as he continues to work on his anger management he will get better. He has already come quite a long way, and is very honest about his 'condition' and recognises that it is something he has to continue to work on.

Oh yeah ... and on a totally unrelated point. I always wondered where the rest of the teammates as well as the manager were when he was throttling Dabo? Why wasn't the situation diffused as it was beginning to escalate?

Guest Invicta_Toon

it was only the villa players stepped in between Dyer and Bowyer, perhaps the man city squad knew better

Guest trainer

Like others i think he will be a great signing. At city he was always looking to move on to bigger and better things, coming to newcastle he can achieve things. Hes got all the sttributes to make it as a top midfielder, and fingers crossed Carr and/or Baba will wind him up!!!!!!

We've been paid £2.5m to improve our midfield. I'm not complaining. Good player with the potential to be a very good one.

That's my opinion on it too. £2.5m which will probably pay all if not the majority of Viduka & Ben Haim's signing-on fees. Can't complain at all really.