Joey Barton completes move for £5.8m - Man City

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shak 17m does not = 5m under any circumstances.

Depending on how much a team has to spend then it does, surely?

Say a club has a value of 300m, and another has value of 100m.

Surely the second club would be risking just as much paying 5m for a player as the first would be paying 15?

You're arguing Black is white. Barton and Hargreaves can not be compared as Vic said, Hargreaves was courted only by Man U for ages now. Barton is a troublesome player who has a get-out clause and we have an interest / signed him. Vic was bang on in that they are incomparable situations and you are wrong to argue against that.

For the record for the others piping up, Vic said that no other clubs seemed to be in for Barton. If the petulant kids on here cant read it like that then address the point instead of going on about something that has more to do with other threads, then they are the wums, not Vic.

Argumentative? Yes but seeing as this place relies on the dynamic of 'making a point, then making a counter-point' it seems thats a good characterisitic imo. Unless (not aimed at you shak just cant be arsed to start a new post) you prefer it when everyone says exactly the same thing all the f****** time.

Often Vic doesn't even debate and he becomes embroiled in exchanges where his point is obviously hollow and he nit-picks others posts..

Guest Knightrider

Not a player (or rather character) I want to see here at United if I'm honest, but I trust Big Sam 100% as the man to get the best out of him on the pitch and to keep him out of trouble off it. Barton will be to us what Diouf is to Bolton; a good productive player loved by his own fans - hated by the opposition.

By all accounts he's supposedly a good lad who does a hell of a lot of work for charities and for Man City's football in the community scheme, but obviously has some anger/behavioural issues (sudden anger I think they call it) and while it is easy to castigate someone, especially a footballer earning the wages they do, I once watched a documentary on people with anger issues and in the main I felt a deal of empathy with the poor bastards.

As a soon to be Toon player I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and welcome him to Toon.

Shak 17m does not = 5m under any circumstances.

Depending on how much a team has to spend then it does, surely?

Say a club has a value of 300m, and another has value of 100m.

Surely the second club would be risking just as much paying 5m for a player as the first would be paying 15?

You're arguing Black is white. Barton and Hargreaves can not be compared as Vic said, Hargreaves was courted only by Man U for ages now. Barton is a troublesome player who has a get-out clause and we have an interest / signed him. Vic was bang on in that they are incomparable situations and you are wrong to argue against that.

For the record for the others piping up, Vic said that no other clubs seemed to be in for Barton. If the petulant kids on here cant read it like that then address the point instead of going on about something that has more to do with other threads, then they are the wums, not Vic.

Argumentative? Yes but seeing as this place relies on the dynamic of 'making a point, then making a counter-point' it seems thats a good characterisitic imo. Unless (not aimed at you shak just cant be arsed to start a new post) you prefer it when everyone says exactly the same thing all the f****** time.

Often Vic doesn't even debate and he becomes embroiled in exchanges where his point is obviously hollow and he nit-picks others posts..

Yeah hollow points like Shepherd fighting back and finding another backer? The point he made that had the whole forum on his back just over a week ago? Even the mods got wound up about it. The point that was backed up by pieces all over the media yesterday?

I suspect you read things you want to see like everyone else.

It seems to be quite generally accepted on here that Barton is a better player than Parker, whereas I cant really comment as I havent seen much of Barton. But while I'm not disappointed that he is signing for us (other than a little concerned about his attitude) I am disappointed that Parker has decided he wants to leave. I think he was a fantastic player in his first season for us and gave 100% every game, but he was played out of position last season. I think with a new manager coming in that is likely to use him to good effect as a DM, he should have stayed.

If Curbishley uses him correctly (which he most likely will since he had him at Charlton) then West Ham have signed a very good player.

Guest Knightrider

BTW could we have another poll option for "indifferent"? As that's how I feel about it if I'm being honest.

Guest Knightrider

BTW could we have another poll option for "indifferent"? As that's how I feel about it if I'm being honest.

Done.

Ta

Guest Invicta_Toon

Not a player (or rather character) I want to see here at United if I'm honest, but I trust Big Sam 100% as the man to get the best out of him on the pitch and to keep him out of trouble off it. Barton will be to us what Diouf is to Bolton; a good productive player loved by his own fans - hated by the opposition.

By all accounts he's supposedly a good lad who does a hell of a lot of work for charities and for Man City's football in the community scheme, but obviously has some anger/behavioural issues (sudden anger I think they call it) and while it is easy to castigate someone, especially a footballer earning the wages they do, I once watched a documentary on people with anger issues and in the main I felt a deal of empathy with the poor bastards.

As a soon to be Toon player I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and welcome him to Toon.

people hate Diouff because that is what he wants, it is his self-confessed gameplan to appear a loathesome cunt to the opposition, it motivates him to better performances

Barton however is just a loathesome cunt

Yeah hollow points like Shepherd fighting back and finding another backer? The point he made that had the whole forum on his back just over a week ago? Even the mods got wound up about it. The point that was backed up by pieces all over the media yesterday?

It's not always what vic says but how he says it that sometimes pisses people off.

The point about Shepherd's backer is nothing more than speculation so I wouldn't get carried away with that bit of news that seems to be coming from rumours that are rife on Tyneside but only heard inside Thompson House and somebody from the Mail who probably read icnewcastle.

Guest Alan_Shearer

So looks like we will have 4 attacking midfielders in the first team? Won't we need someone to hold abit? Which Parker was meant to do?

Guest Invicta_Toon

It seems to be quite generally accepted on here that Barton is a better player than Parker, whereas I cant really comment as I havent seen much of Barton. But while I'm not disappointed that he is signing for us (other than a little concerned about his attitude) I am disappointed that Parker has decided he wants to leave. I think he was a fantastic player in his first season for us and gave 100% every game, but he was played out of position last season. I think with a new manager coming in that is likely to use him to good effect as a DM, he should have stayed.

If Curbishley uses him correctly (which he most likely will since he had him at Charlton) then West Ham have signed a very good player.

too little has been made of Sam not at least persuading Parker to stay for another season within a new set-up under a different chairman imho

Guest Invicta_Toon

So Vic you getting his name and number on the new away kit then?

I hate this kit more than Barton tbh

Guest Knightrider

Aye, fair dos, no-one expected FS to put up a fight or considered the vague possibility of finding a backer himself to keep himself in control...

So Vic you getting his name and number on the new away kit then?

I hate this kit more than Barton tbh

Hasn't even been released yet man Vic! At least wait til it's in the shops before you rip it to bits.  :lol:

Guest TheOrder

This would have to be worst bit of business this club has done since signing Souness, surely we could do a lot better than than this wast of space Barton, sorry to see Parker go  but if he wants to go back to London then it was a good deal we got for him. But for fuck sakes bloody Joey Barton!

You don't count.

The worst piece of business, look in your fucking avatar, clown.

Aye, fair dos, no-one expected FS to put up a fight or considered the vague possibility of finding a backer himself to keep himself in control...

Fixed

Just a thought that's popped into my head there. Anyone else reckon this could be the reason Distin turned us down? Wasn't there supposed to be a rift between the British & foreign players at City?

Personally reckon we probably would have followed up our interest in Distin if Roeder had of stayed. Think that deal fell apart when Roeder left.

Plus, Pompey were probably willing to offer him more than we were.

It's not always what vic says but how he says it that sometimes pisses people off.

The point about Shepherd's backer is nothing more than speculation so I wouldn't get carried away with that bit of news that seems to be coming from rumours that are rife on Tyneside but only heard inside Thompson House and somebody from the Mail who probably read icnewcastle.

You're right it is just speculation but i was trying to illustrate a point about people jumping on unpopular views even though there is something in them.