Joey Barton completes move for £5.8m - Man City

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just a thought that's popped into my head there. Anyone else reckon this could be the reason Distin turned us down? Wasn't there supposed to be a rift between the British & foreign players at City?

How would Distin have known that we would go for Barton?

Just a thought that's popped into my head there. Anyone else reckon this could be the reason Distin turned us down? Wasn't there supposed to be a rift between the British & foreign players at City?

How would Distin have known that we would go for Barton?

I seriously doubt this is a spur of the moment thing from Allardyce. Maybe when we spoke to Distin we told him we'd be going for Barton and it put him off?

You're right it is just speculation but i was trying to illustrate a point about people jumping on unpopular views even though there is something in them.

OK, I still think it's the way he gets his message across more than what ha says.

It seems to be quite generally accepted on here that Barton is a better player than Parker, whereas I cant really comment as I havent seen much of Barton. But while I'm not disappointed that he is signing for us (other than a little concerned about his attitude) I am disappointed that Parker has decided he wants to leave. I think he was a fantastic player in his first season for us and gave 100% every game, but he was played out of position last season. I think with a new manager coming in that is likely to use him to good effect as a DM, he should have stayed.

If Curbishley uses him correctly (which he most likely will since he had him at Charlton) then West Ham have signed a very good player.

too little has been made of Sam not at least persuading Parker to stay for another season within a new set-up under a different chairman imho

What evidence do you have to suggest that he didnt ?

We can only guess at what was discussed between them

out of barton, butt and emre, the best partnership would be butt and emre, so this doesn't really solve our problems in terms of creativity from central midfield. decent player but im not sure how he would fit into the team, perhaps that will become clearer with more signings.

out of barton, butt and emre, the best partnership would be butt and emre, so this doesn't really solve our problems in terms of creativity from central midfield. decent player but im not sure how he would fit into the team, perhaps that will become clearer with more signings.

Butt

Barton --- Emre

... tbh. :D

If we play Emre & Barton together will that be classed as playing 2 right wingers?

Nope. Yep.

Distin & Barton have the same agent as does Dabo who Barton whacked.

Nope.

Butt

Barton --- Emre

... tbh. :D

maybe. i don't think that would be a significant upgrade on a butt, emre, parker midfield. butt and emre could play anchorman and box-to-box, but i don't think barton has enough ability to be an out and out attacking midfielder capable of getting 10+ goals a season every season. and as others have said, we probably need a creative, playmaker type with vision, and none of those three meet that criteria.

It seems to be quite generally accepted on here that Barton is a better player than Parker, whereas I cant really comment as I havent seen much of Barton. But while I'm not disappointed that he is signing for us (other than a little concerned about his attitude) I am disappointed that Parker has decided he wants to leave. I think he was a fantastic player in his first season for us and gave 100% every game, but he was played out of position last season. I think with a new manager coming in that is likely to use him to good effect as a DM, he should have stayed.

If Curbishley uses him correctly (which he most likely will since he had him at Charlton) then West Ham have signed a very good player.

too little has been made of Sam not at least persuading Parker to stay for another season within a new set-up under a different chairman imho

What evidence do you have to suggest that he didnt ?

We can only guess at what was discussed between them

maybe,just maybe,allardyce didn't want to persuade him to stay and was quite happy for him to go so he could have the cash for squad building

Guest gggg

Personally i would look to get in an attacking midfielder with an end product now and let Emre go. Spend big if we have to, but get the right man in. I am not sure who at this minute though.

We've just bought one, or will do tomorrow. That's the last position that needs filling now.

Personally i would look to get in an attacking midfielder with an end product now and let Emre go. Spend big if we have to, but get the right man in. I am not sure who at this minute though.

We've just bought one, or will do tomorrow. That's the last position that needs filling now.

Barton doesn't score and create that many goals tbh. He does have a decent record. Emre should go. He is good on his day, but hes far too inconsistent and i don't really see what he contributes to the team. I know he had a good spell in the middle with Butt last season, but i don't want to see them two playing together in the middle next season, and i don't think it will happen. I think with the money we could get for Emre we could get a player who is more reliable and offers us more. Just my opinion obviously though.

Emre is crap. Hope he is sold.

Barton and Emre should be the partnership at the moment but I'd like us to buy another CM.

Guest Knightrider

Who edited the poll? Bit daft to add in another option after 60 people have voted.

James

On my suggestion

Soz

I just wonder whether Parker or his wife just haven't settled in the area. It used to happen a lot with London players. He's looked tense and uncomfortable with his game over the last season, and I'm not sorry to see him go.

Barton is a gamble, but Allardyce obviously feels it's one worth taking. In terms of all round ability, he'd be the best midfield player at the club. He has the potential to be an England regular, I'm sure.

Guest TheOrder

I don't know why people are bothering to think of a future with emre. He's one of our most inconsistent players weve got (in both seasons, unlike parker) and i think he's one who we definitely should and most likely will, get rid of

Wrong.

Guest TheOrder

I just wonder whether Parker or his wife just haven't settled in the area. It used to happen a lot with London players. He's looked tense and uncomfortable with his game over the last season, and I'm not sorry to see him go.

Barton is a gamble, but Allardyce obviously feels it's one worth taking. In terms of all round ability, he'd be the best midfield player at the club. He has the potential to be an England regular, I'm sure.

Maybe its the clean air, lush countryside, and cleaner water he's not liking up here then.