Joey Barton completes move for £5.8m - Man City

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

he will sign its just a matter of how quick the mancs can be arsed to sort things out.. its all down to them finishing off their end really. cant see it falling through as they cant stop him leaving as far as i can tell due to the get out clause etc?

Barton's demand for City loyalty money delays deal

By Andy Hunter

Published: 09 June 2007

Joey Barton's proposed transfer to Newcastle has been delayed by his demands for a £300,000 "loyalty payment" from Manchester City.

The England international agreed in principle to join Newcastle in a five-year deal worth £60,000-a-week on Tuesday, having also requested permission to speak to West Ham United when both clubs triggered the £5.5m release clause in his City contract. However, his St James' Park contract remains unsigned because of a dispute over his departure from City and his current employers are adamant the midfielder will not be sold until he backs down.

Barton, who has been suspended on full pay for the past six weeks following a training ground incident that left team-mate Ousmane Dabo requiring hospital treatment, insists he is entitled to the payment from City as he never handed in a transfer request. For their part, the club contest he lost his entitlement to any loyalty money when he requested permission to speak to Newcastle and West Ham once his release clause was activated.

There is also a ground-swell of opinion within City that Barton has received ample support from the club throughout his chequered career - they paid for the 24-year-old to receive anger-management lessons from the Sporting Chance Clinic last year, for example - and that a £300,000 payment on their part would, according to a source, "go beyond the pale when he has exercised his right to speak to other clubs and is on the cusp of a contract said to be worth £16m".

Sam Allardyce had hoped to make Barton, who is currently on police bail over his alleged training ground fight with Dabo, his first signing as Newcastle manager but remains confident the impasse can be broken over the weekend and that the midfielder will follow Mark Viduka into St James'.

Thaksin Shinawatra's proposed £90m takeover of City, meanwhile, is edging closer towards a successful resolution with the former Thai prime minister reportedly on the brink of tabling an official offer to chairman John Wardle.

A senior source close to Thaksin moved to reassure supporters over the current delays last night, when he told The Independent: "The deal is absolutely on course and could go through at any time. Next week is looking the strongest possibility. Fans should not be dismayed that it's taking a long time. It was in the public domain long before it should have been and these deals take time. As it is, from start to finish it will be quicker than most takeovers."

The same source also revealed that no firm offers have been made to a potential replacement for Stuart Pearce as manager since the first-choice candidate, Claudio Ranieri, elected to join Juventus this week, with the Thais anxious to avoid an awkward repeat.

"[There will be] no serious talk on that until the paperwork for the takeover is signed and sealed," the source said yesterday.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article2636194.ece

"Loyalty payments"  :lol:

Really dissapointing all of this.

He has just agreed a move to a new club on a new lucrative deal and everything has been looking a bit more positive for him, but he decides to get involved in what appears to be a very petty argument. More negative headlines which he really doesn't need.

He has just agreed a move to a new club on a new lucrative deal and everything has been looking a bit more positive for him, but he decides to get involved in what appears to be a very petty argument. More negative headlines which he really doesn't need.

The smart thing to do if i was City's Manager/Director is to drag this untill the end of the transfer window, if he dosn't give it up he will be forced to spend the first half of the season with them .

I guess this whole "Loyalty payments" thing will end very soon, hopefully.

Did we pay Shearer anything like that, because that will be alot of money!

The smart thing to do if i was City's Manager/Director is to drag this untill the end of the transfer window, if he dosn't give it up he will be forced to spend the first half of the season with them .

I guess this whole "Loyalty payments" thing will end very soon, hopefully.

Did we pay Shearer anything like that, because that will be alot of money!

no,because shearer didn't have a release clause

Cue the headlines on Sky Sports tomorrow ...

"Joey demands loyalty payments in cash wrangle with Man City"

After all the positive spin by Newcastle on his move it makes the club look a bit silly. If this drags on and gets too ugly it's not impossible for the new owner to pull the plug on this and ask Allardyce to go for someone else as we can clearly afford to.

Joey needs to be very careful.

Guest TheOrder

Cue the headlines on Sky Sports tomorrow ...

"Joey demands loyalty payments in cash wrangle with Man City"

After all the positive spin by Newcastle on his move it makes the club look a bit silly. If this drags on and gets too ugly it's not impossible for the new owner to pull the plug on this and ask Allardyce to go for someone else as we can clearly afford to.

Joey needs to be very careful.

He'll probably sign, as planned, tomorrow then.

sam did say within 2 days on thursday didnt he?

if he doesnt sign by tomorrow maye then start asking questions about it.

can clubs buy people on saturdays or is it just mon-friday??

On the Spurs board about a week or so ago Kingdawson started a thread saying Barton was the next best thing to Gerrard or something similar to that and that they should sign him. :lol:

I wonder if his opinion will change if he comes back on here?

Barton is entitled to the money. It may be a bit unsavoury; but the whole wages/ payments to players/ agents is unsavoury. City are clearly hoping that Barton forgoes the money or that we pay it. Would you give up on 300k without a bit of a fight or expect your new employer to give it to you (in addition to whatever signing on fee he is already getting)?

I would hope that the PL could intervene if this isn't resolved soon. I can't see City have a leg to stand on.

From Icnewcastle:

Speaking from Cannes, where he is spending the summer, Sibierski told me today: "Joey and me were big pals when we were both at Manchester City.

"So it came as no surprise when he contacted me this week and asked me whether I thought going to Newcastle United was the right move for him.

"I told him `Joey, you must sign for Newcastle United'. And that this was too good an opportunity for him to miss.

"I was only there for a short time, but I found it to be a great club with great supporters.

"And I told Joey that he could win some things with them in the next few seasons

The above said in the same week he said:

“Now I understand why, a few years ago, Eric Cantona said he felt it was a shame he was not born English. France is a nice country, but the people are not very nice over there. You English are better than the French.”

TOP STUFF SAID BY SIBS

With us supposedly wanting to make a part payment with the rest to follow in 2 weeks which City refused, anyone else reckon that we've told Barton to go on holiday for a fortnight and we'll complete the deal when he comes back?