Club Captain

Guest DavB93
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Verlaine

Vic = Charley from Big Brother tbh

:lol:  That's harsh even on Vic!  She is a f****** despicable human being.

He was just trying to put it in terms Vic would understand. :razz:

Guest Gemmill

Vic = Charley from Big Brother tbh

:lol:  That's harsh even on Vic!  She is a f****** despicable human being.

He was just trying to put it in terms Vic would understand. :razz:

Vic.  You have been evicted.  Please leave the Newcastle Online house.  Vic.  You have been.....

Guest Toon83

Shay going to be captain? as he was at Hartlepool

Shay was only captain for one night (i read somewhere) rewarding him for his 10 year spell at the club but wont be considered for full time captian as Big Sam doesnt see a goalkeeper as his captain.

Its between Owen, Barton and Taylor apparently

Guest Toon83

I for one would make Barton captain!

since signing for us he has said all the right things and his performance against Hartlepool, albeit lower league opposition, was an inspirational one, and he seemed to lead by example, although Given had the armband, and Big Sam seems to really like him as a player judging by these quotes.

source nufc.co.uk

"He was very good - but that's him just taking it easy, really.

"I think he will be a driving force for the team. As a footballer, he's got lots and lots of talent.

"We have always known that, and now we have got him here to hopefully portray his talent at St James' for a few years to come.

"Joey showed good passing, he had some good shots and was unlucky not to score.

"He can be anything he wants to be as a footballer. He can be the very best if he wants to be.

"He has the talent and the drive and I hope we can help him to fulfil all his potential.

"That would be great for him and the football club."

sounds like the perfect captain for me, and i believe the responsibility of captaining a club like newcastle will curtail his off the field antics

I for one would make Barton captain!

since signing for us he has said all the right things and his performance against Hartlepool, albeit lower league opposition, was an inspirational one, and he seemed to lead by example, although Given had the armband, and Big Sam seems to really like him as a player judging by these quotes.

source nufc.co.uk

"He was very good - but that's him just taking it easy, really.

"I think he will be a driving force for the team. As a footballer, he's got lots and lots of talent.

"We have always known that, and now we have got him here to hopefully portray his talent at St James' for a few years to come.

"Joey showed good passing, he had some good shots and was unlucky not to score.

"He can be anything he wants to be as a footballer. He can be the very best if he wants to be.

"He has the talent and the drive and I hope we can help him to fulfil all his potential.

"That would be great for him and the football club."

sounds like the perfect captain for me, and i believe the responsibility of captaining a club like newcastle will curtail his off the field antics

These all relate to on the pitch, that's not the problem, it's off it.

There's no standout candidate for the role but I'd go with Owen. Yes, there were issues over his commitment but he's here to stay now and making him captain seems the most sensible option: he's experienced, leads by example and knows what being a captain entails. There's just too many problems with the other candidates: Given is a goalkeeper, neither of Butt or Solano are guaranteed starters, Barton's got a temper and could be irresponsible off the pitch and in my opinion Taylor is too young and rash to be given the armband. You could argue that giving Taylor the armband might calm him down a bit but I'm not sure about this, I'd rather he proved he can be calm before giving him the armband.

Wouldn't mind Owen getting it. Nor would I mind Barton, however, I don't consider Solano or Butt to be regular starters next season so giving them the armband doesn't really make sense. Given would be my third choice.

I think Given should get it!Just cos hes a keeper he shouldnt get it is crap!Its inspirational enough just watching making class saves one after another and one of our few players who speaks out and says he wants to stay with us for the long term!theres no other candidate for me!Taylor-too young,Butt-wont be a regular starter,Barton-only arrived and carrys alot of baggage,wait and see how he pans out[could be gd captain in the future],nobby-prob wont start alot of games!

Of the possible viable candidates I think Owen could be OK, but that's on one condition.  I would only make Owen captain if he signed a new deal, with no buy-out clause, and that locked him in to the club for 5 years.  A captain is a long term position designed to help build and lead the team.  You can not have someone in that role who may be gone in 6 months time because either his contract is about to run out or he can get bought out for a puny 9mil.

Good idea.

I don't want to see Barton as captain.  He's too much of a scumbag for my liking.  We're supposed to be changing as a club for the better. 

Rob Lee, Alan Shearer, Peter Beardsley, all professionals who, at the time, were guaranteed starting places.  How's it going to be after Barton's beaten a couple of the player's up in training?  It's not going to make players happy to follow him out of the tunnel, is it? 

Plus, I'm not convinced, with the squad that we have, that he's an automatic starter even when his form's not the best.  We have Emre, Duff, Zog, Milner, Butt, Dyer, and Solano to make a midfield out of.  Barton has a few bad games and he should be out of the starting XI, as Roeder found out with Parker, this can be a problem.  The likes of Owen, Given and Taylor are pretty much playing safe in the knowledge that it would take a huge and extended dip in form for them to be left out.

Guest Gemmill

Of the possible viable candidates I think Owen could be OK, but that's on one condition.  I would only make Owen captain if he signed a new deal, with no buy-out clause, and that locked him in to the club for 5 years.  A captain is a long term position designed to help build and lead the team.  You can not have someone in that role who may be gone in 6 months time because either his contract is about to run out or he can get bought out for a puny 9mil.

Well that rules Owen out then doesn't it?

Well that rules Owen out then doesn't it?

Seems like it.  <tongue align='in cheek'>Viduka doesn't have a buy-out clause and he's an experienced captain</tongue>