Who would you sign now?

toptoon

Guest smoggeordie

If Liverpool offered Cisse, Hyypia and £5 million for Owen who would have that?

Not me.

Does anyone know this? How long has Sam had Bolton as a 4-5-1 side? Good few years now...

Honestly can't see anything other than a 4-3-3/4-5-1. He isn't really a 4-4-2 man. I know he's got the funds and the backing now, but there's no reason for why he should change a formula that he's proved does work.

Owen and Martins make this formation almost impossible to play.

Everytime I see people's formations with Martins and Owen as wide forwards in a 4-3-3 it makes me cringe, as they are not the type of players who can play in that role.

Does anyone know this? How long has Sam had Bolton as a 4-5-1 side? Good few years now...

Honestly can't see anything other than a 4-3-3/4-5-1. He isn't really a 4-4-2 man. I know he's got the funds and the backing now, but there's no reason for why he should change a formula that he's proved does work.

Owen and Martins make this formation almost impossible to play.

Everytime I see people's formations with Martins and Owen as wide forwards in a 4-3-3 it makes me cringe, as they are not the type of players who can play in that role.

Owen maybe not, though it's worth giving it a shot (if it works, it'll be awesome, if it doesn't, so be it - another reason to sell him), but i think Martins could maybe work as a wide forward. He was never a centre-forward in the first place, he was just forced into that position last season because there was no one else.

We just don't know yet, but i can imagine Allardyce is willing to give it a shot, because like i say, if he gets it to work it'll be immense. Worth a gamble.

Also, the signing of Viduka suggests to me that he probably is planning a formation such as this.

Just one signing that grabs us by the balls and makes everyone take notice of us again.

It would make a change to make a few signings that weren't attention-seeking, and actually did us some good in the long term.

Completely agree. It's high time we went about things in a quiet and calculated manner without attempting to grab the headlines seemingly just for the sake of it. Also, it'd be nice to surprise some people next season.

If you're happy to settle for simply finishing 6th to 8th, then great, Viduka, Ben Haim & Barton are perfect. But I reckon with a couple of top-class signings to add to that, Arsenal & Spurs are there for the taking.

Next season, i couldn't possibly ask for anything more.

EDIT: And besides, them three are all very good Premiership players. Ben Haim was the chief instigator in a Top 6 defense, Joey Barton was Man City's creative player (potentially one of the most tenacious players in the bottom half), and Viduka scored 19 goals last season. We aren't signing un-proven maybes from the drags.

Guest smoggeordie

If you're happy to settle for simply finishing 6th to 8th, then great, Viduka, Ben Haim & Barton are perfect. But I reckon with a couple of top-class signings to add to that, Arsenal & Spurs are there for the taking.

6th to 8 next season would be brilliant IMO, but aye, in the coming years they're both overtakable

I thought we'd stopped looking to buy quick fixes? I thought we were starting to rebuild the club from the ground up? How can any manager do anything constructive with this club if he's expected to finish top 4 instantly or whatever?

Why not though? With the new money coming in we mightn't get a better chance to finish 4th next season, especially with what's going on at Arsenal.

I'd be happy with that tbh, it would show clear improvement. Then we can think about spending to get to the next level.

No point going out and spending really big this year, we're trying to rebuild. Top class signings can be made without all the fanfare.

I thought we'd stopped looking to buy quick fixes? I thought we were starting to rebuild the club from the ground up? How can any manager do anything constructive with this club if he's expected to finish top 4 instantly or whatever?

Spot on, Keefaz. If we finish 9th next season, and atleast maybe pushed for a European place, i'll be chuffed.

Would be interesting to hear his thoughts - but i doubt Brummie is too displeased with Villa's final position, in spite of the potential they showed at the start of the season. Considering that they were a team that would inevitably have gone down sooner or later.

If Allardyce had been our manager last season we'd have finished around 6th to 8th last season imo anyway. To finish there next season wouldn't be a great achievement to me. I'm not talking about splashing £15m on 2 or 3 players here by the way. I'm talking of someone like Giuly & Salgado. Two players who'd make us much better, and would make the rest of the division and even Europe start taking notice of us again.

Why not though? With the new money coming in we mightn't get a better chance to finish 4th next season, especially with what's going on at Arsenal.

Because i'm realistic. These things take time. Bobby Robson was a top class coach with money to spend, and he was into his third season before we were going places.

Don't expect too much too fast. I know the stereotypical Geordie fan wants "Newcastle to be winning everything and in the Top 4 right away" (more of a media cliche, tbf), but it really shouldn't be the case just now.

If we were to be anywhere near the Top 4 next season, we'd have overachieved.

Disagree pushing top 4 would be over-achieving. We've hugely underachieved the last 2 seasons. 6th to 8th is where we should always be with the personnel we've got and a half decent coach. Now we've got a better coach and cash, we should be looking higher surely?

If Allardyce had been our manager last season we'd have finished around 6th to 8th last season imo anyway. To finish there next season wouldn't be a great achievement to me. I'm not talking about splashing £15m on 2 or 3 players here by the way. I'm talking of someone like Giuly & Salgado. Two players who'd make us much better, and would make the rest of the division and even Europe start taking notice of us again.

I'd rather people took notice because of what we do on the pitch rather than who we buy. I don't think we need the latter to help the former.

Disagree pushing top 4 would be over-achieving. We've hugely underachieved the last 2 seasons. 6th to 8th is where we should always be with the personnel we've got and a half decent coach. Now we've got a better coach and cash, we should be looking higher surely?

Tell you what, if we winish 7/8/9th, without barely touching the Top 4, i'll be happy. You might not be, but i will be - because this is a tranitional period. New squad, new owner, new spending, new staff, probably a new way of playing. Everything's changing and it isn't like turning on a lightswitch.

The expectation should be top half.

People who are expecting a top four finish next season are expecting too much too soon. We have money but we are also gonna probably have half a team full of new players. Maybe in a year or two we can push to get back into the top four. Top 6 would be great for now though.

Salgado is average though and Giuly isn't much of an improvement on Dyer.

If the club want to progress we need a rock solid back four, something opposition teams will struggle to break down away from home.

Guest Peter Pan

Lahm is a RB plays there for Germany and Chelsea wanted him to fill that position last season.

Nope. Lahm is LB for Bayern and Germany. Sagnol plays Rb for Bayern...