Finally we look to get rid of Babayaro

Decky

Sam Allardyce is looking to sell Newcastle United misfit Celestine Babayaro as he prepares to complete the free transfer signing of Tal Ben Haim this week.

Babayaro's suspect injury record and his questionable motivation are well known to Allardyce who, despite new owner Mike Ashley's considerable financial backing, still wants to trim the dead wood in his squad.

Like any new manager, Allardyce has always insisted that every player will start with a clean slate at St James's Park under his reign, but he is aware of Babayaro's unpopularity with supporters, as well as his dreadful appearance record since he joined the club in January 2005.

The Nigerian left-back has started just 66 games for the club and, despite former manager Glenn Roeder's patience with him, he made just four appearances in a United shirt after Christmas last season, the last coming against Manchester City at the end of March.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

The biggest problem for Allardyce - who will push to make Ben Haim his third signing as Newcastle manager before the centre-back's wedding next weekend - will be trying to find a club willing to sign a player whose talent is undermined by an apparent lack of desire. United would still like a fee for a player who cost them £1m from Chelsea. Babayaro's agent is Willie McKay, who was on Tyneside last week to put the finishing touches to Joey Barton's £5.5m move from Manchester City, and he has been told to try to find another club for Babayaro.

Nevertheless, while Babayaro is not part of Allardyce's first-team plans and with a new left-back - Wigan's highly-rated youngster Leighton Baines is a target - thought to be the manager's main priority once he has signed Ben Haim, it remains to be seen whether the Nigerian wants to quit St James's Park.

The former Anderlecht defender has another year left on his contract and The Journal understands he is willing to let it run down in the reserves and then leave on his own terms in 12 months' time.

However, while Allardyce would like to get rid of Babayaro, he wants to hang on to right-back Stephen Carr. Like Babayaro, Carr is also one of the least popular players among fans and had been expected to leave this summer, with Celtic reportedly interested.

But Allardyce is keen to keep his experience in the squad, even if he is not his first-choice right-back. United's new manager appears to be toying with the idea of playing a 3-5-2 formation next season, with Kieron Dyer as a possible wing-back, but Carr will still be involved if he wants to remain in the North-East. Interestingly, Sunderland and their Irish manager Roy Keane are also looking to sign a right-back this summer and might be tempted to make a bid for Carr. Keane has been linked with virtually every one of his former Republic of Ireland team-mates, although Carr has, as yet, not been one of them.

Meanwhile, United were linked with another host of potential transfer targets over the weekend as Allardyce admitted he cannot stop Michael Owen leaving the club because of the £9m escape clause in his contract. Allardyce said: "If Michael wants to leave, there's nothing I can do about it, especially if another club triggers his release clause. At the moment, we are benefiting from a release clause to get Joey Barton, but we could also suffer because of Michael's clause."

As a result, Allardyce, who has not ruled out the possibility of signing former Arsenal striker Nicolas Anelka, has been linked with another Bolton forward, El Hadji Diouf.

The Senegal international had suggested he wants to leave the Reebok Stadium following Allardyce's departure, while the Magpies are also credited with an interest in their former striker Craig Bellamy, who will leave Liverpool this summer.

Another player reportedly in Allardyce's thinking is Barcelona winger Ludovic Giuly after the 30-year-old French international was told he can leave the Spanish club.

United midfielder Emre has confirmed that Allardyce has asked him about his Turkish international colleague Tunçay Sanli. The 25-year-old left-sided forward, who played against Newcastle in the Uefa Cup last season, is available on a free transfer from Fenerbahçe.

Meanwhile Stuart Pearce agrees Manchester City had no option but to sell Joey Barton, revealing he would have done the same if still in charge.

Barton, 24, was suspended by the club at the end of last season after a training ground incident left team-mate Ousmane Dabo requiring hospital treatment.

It was the latest in a long run of controversial incidents involving the midfielder and England Under-21 boss Pearce believes he had burned all bridges at the club.

Barton is expected to complete a £5.5m move to Newcastle and Pearce said: "If I was in charge, I'd have done the same on the ground that I don't think the dressing room would have accepted him anymore."

Pearce stood by Barton after he was sent home from a pre-season tour in Thailand after clashing with an Everton supporter in a bar. He underwent anger management counselling at Tony Adams' Sporting Chance clinic.

The previous December, at a club Christmas party, Barton stabbed a cigar out in the eye of trainee player Jamie Tandy.

Pearce was sacked by City at the end of last season.

Megalink

United's new manager appears to be toying with the idea of playing a 3-5-2 formation next season, with Kieron Dyer as a possible wing-back,

The writer is classing wing backs as midfielders? Or Sam intends playing with 1 CD and 2 wing backs? :)

Guest johnson293

One downside of that article....

However, while Allardyce would like to get rid of Babayaro, he wants to hang on to right-back Stephen Carr. Like Babayaro, Carr is also one of the least popular players among fans and had been expected to leave this summer, with Celtic reportedly interested.

But Allardyce is keen to keep his experience in the squad, even if he is not his first-choice right-back. United's new manager appears to be toying with the idea of playing a 3-5-2 formation next season, with Kieron Dyer as a possible wing-back, but Carr will still be involved if he wants to remain in the North-East. Interestingly, Sunderland and their Irish manager Roy Keane are also looking to sign a right-back this summer and might be tempted to make a bid for Carr. Keane has been linked with virtually every one of his former Republic of Ireland team-mates, although Carr has, as yet, not been one of them.

:tickedoff:

Heart skipped a beat when I noticed the words Manchester City in that first paragraph...thought for a second we were rumoured to be the mugs that will take him off your hands( :idiot2:). Can't see who will possibly be interested in him btw, especially given how much money he takes home, certainly can't see anyone paying for him. Someone in Qatar maybe? ???

PS: Baines doesn't really strike me as a wingback...I think you need to be a real energizer bunny type to play in that position. Then again I doubt theres any truth in this 352 rumour as its a shite system...

Guest andynufc84

Heart skipped a beat when I noticed the words Manchester City in that first paragraph...thought for a second we were rumoured to be the mugs that will take him off your hands( :idiot2:). Can't see who will possibly be interested in him btw, especially given how much money he takes home, certainly can't see anyone paying for him. Someone in Qatar maybe? ???

PS: Baines doesn't really strike me as a wingback...I think you need to be a real energizer bunny type to play in that position. Then again I doubt theres any truth in this 352 rumour as its a s**** system...

Aye don't see anyone actually paying money for Babayaro, if he was going on a free then yes someone may take him. Or would Newcastle just let him have a free transfer possibly? A viable option if just to get him off the books imo.

By his own admission it seems he is well happy sitting in the reserves collecting his pay and then leaving on a free, I certainly don't have a problem as long he dosen't come anywhere near the first team again.

can't stand the match-picking fucker.. he gets payed so much and he doesn't even bother to get properly fit i bet he doesn't even like playing football..

Carr must go too.. i hope they're both out of the club this summer, cause their presence in the squad is insulting to the fans

I don't care whether he goes or not if we have a top quality fit first choice left back.  We still need a squad.  Unless there's a decent understudy in the stiffs, in which case he can fuck off.  I'd be amazed if anybody will actually pay to take him off our hands though.

Not surprised to hear about the 3-5-2 system being considered. Allardyce absolutely loves having three central midfielders, and this system allows him to have three central midfielders as well as two strikers up top.

With Owen in the team we will absolutely need two strikers up top because Owen cannot play as a lone striker in the 4-3-3 (because Allardyce prefers his lone striker to be more physical) and neither can he play as a wide striker either (because he has no creative skills on the ball whatsoever). The 3-5-2 will allow Owen to play off a target man while still allowing for three central midfielders.

With Ben Haim likely to arrive and with Taylor also likely to start it makes sense as to why we are also after Rosenhal who is a first team international and also costs £3 million or so. He would be a fairly expensive signing to keep on the bench, so I imagine these three would indeed play at the back together.

Here's the thing about the 3-5-2 though ... where does it leave the likes of Milner and N'Zogbia? and even Duff? Would they be able to play out wide in this formation? As it has an enormous amount of defensive responsibility.

I bet Sam would find it much easier if we just got rid of Owen and played his tried and tested 4-3-3, as Owen is the only player who does not fit this formation.

No surprise he is more than happy to talk openly about his clause.

Guest GAMMELL

Hopefully good riddance to the c*nt. Absolute shocking player. Well done Souey!! But then again he signed him to kinda tart the team up. The w@nker :clap:

I don't care whether he goes or not if we have a top quality fit first choice left back.  We still need a squad.  Unless there's a decent understudy in the stiffs, in which case he can f*** off.  I'd be amazed if anybody will actually pay to take him off our hands though.

To be honest he's not even good enough to be backup.  If we're going to challenge for the top 5 we need better backup then Baba.  So yeah I want him gone, not lingering with the chance he might actually get in the team because of injury.

Guest Ridzuan

Its one thing wanting to sell him but who on earth would want to buy him?

Im sure some championships clubs will be looking to sign a player who has played before with the big clubs such as us and Chelsea.

Half our problems will dissapear at the back getting rid of Carr & Babayaro.

I'd be delighted if both of these cretins are removed from the face of the earth, but i'll make do with a transfer out of the club, free if necessary.

Wouldn't be surprised. He was always bound to be one of the dressing room anomolies that Nicky Butt spoke of a few weeks ago.

Could only see one of Babayaro and Carr leaving, so if Baba does then i can imagine Carr will probably stay. Not overly bothered by that, i'm not a huge fan of Carr, but some of slating he gets on here is a bit over the top. He can be shite at times, but most of the time i reckon he's 'steady', and i said that quite a lot this season. Would rather Baba stayed when you consider ability, but atleast Carr actually fights for the cause.