Habib Beye

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd say it points more to a 4-3-3 with defensive full backs and the wing-forwards (or whatever you want to call them) getting a lot of freedom.

If you watch Chelsea closely the full backs rarely pour forward, which I think is part of the reason Ashley Cole hasn't made such a great impact there. This is why it's hard to hit Chelsea on the break, because so often they already have 4 men back.

I have no idea what formation Allardyce intends to play, you'd think if Owen is still around then 4-4-2 as I don't see him being happy or effective in a three man attack. But if tall defensive full backs points to anything then it points to 4-3-3 for me. I don't know where all this 3-5-2 talk has come from, it's a formation very rarely employed in England.

Prefer to have a pacy, technical player. Every team would. Preferably with some height. Neville is a superb player. Complete arsehole but a very talented player. If we are playing 433 then it would handy to have an overlapping fullback.

Every team wants them though so its not going to be find anyone with those qualities. Think it is worthwhile focusing on the fact that we probably need 4 fullbacks really.

Glen Johnson has all the attributes in the same way Bramble does and lacks the same vital functions - concentration and a footballing brain. That he has been transferred for a large sum shows how tricky the job is. The Liverpool fans moan about Riise but he is way better than our lot. Man U fans moan about Silvestre but he is way better too. Cant really think of any decent fullbacks who we are certain will succeed who are available. Every one mentioned has risk attached to them. With more and more money and billionaires about it isnt going to be any easier either.

Its going to be a tricky job getting someone decent in. No idea about this lad as I have only seen him once and didnt really notice him then. Sounds like he could be a good squad player though. The sooner we are rid of Ramage et al the better. Not saying anyone is better but ......

The obvious attacking fullback would be Wayne Bridge, we may have missed the boat with him but he should be a possibility that we should enquire about, right back is trickier, no real quality names stand out and when you see a club like Chelsea struggling to fill that position you realise how hard it will be, there's a lad at Auxerre who's supposed to be a great attacking rightback called Sagna but apparently he's already turned us down this summer.

I think Allardyce is trying to build from the back which is why he's looking for his defenders to be solid defensively rather than any great attacking play, I reckon he's thinking along the lines of if we can keep a clean sheet then we should have enough quality in the likes of Owen, Viduka, Martins, Barton, Dyer, Emre, Milner and Duff to create a goal or two. Of course four big defenders will come in handy for set pieces at both ends of the pitch.

The full back positions are definitely tricky ones to fill at the moment. I'm hard pushed to come up with proven, available full backs at a reasonable price. Even the likes of Baines and Shorey are a gamble; young, english and on the back of a good season means an expensive pricetag.

Luckily Shepherd doesn't call all the shots because his record for investing in full backs was appalling. Hughes and Bernard free, Carr for 2M, Griffin for 1M, Baba for 1M.

Beye captains Marseille so his CV is at least as good as players like Luke Young. I'm just happy we're being linked with right backs at all, because we need new blood across the back four.

I'd say it points more to a 4-3-3 with defensive full backs and the wing-forwards (or whatever you want to call them) getting a lot of freedom.

If you watch Chelsea closely the full backs rarely pour forward, which I think is part of the reason Ashley Cole hasn't made such a great impact there. This is why it's hard to hit Chelsea on the break, because so often they already have 4 men back.

I have no idea what formation Allardyce intends to play, you'd think if Owen is still around then 4-4-2 as I don't see him being happy or effective in a three man attack. But if tall defensive full backs points to anything then it points to 4-3-3 for me. I don't know where all this 3-5-2 talk has come from, it's a formation very rarely employed in England.

Very true. depends how we go about it. At home its easier to push the fullbacks on. Mourinho is very pragmatic and doesnt tend to. If we can find Carlos Alberto and Everaldo then we might have a few more options! Can't see it happening though.

The full back positions are definitely tricky ones to fill at the moment. I'm hard pushed to come up with proven, available full backs at a reasonable price.

I still feel Hatem Trabelsi could be an interesting option for us. He started out very well at Manchester City, was dislodged by the rise of Micah Richards and an injury and is a proven right back, who is now available on a free I believe (unless somebody has snapped him up while I wasn't paying attention). He's had persistent injury problems however, which has held him back from playing for the top clubs in Europe. Since he's on a free and on a downward spiral in his career he would be tempted by a "pay as you play" kind of contract, which along with Solano could provide us with sufficient quality down that side for a small enough outlay. If we manage to offload Carr (who is no less injury prone nowadays and a hell of a lot less effective as a right back) we'll probably even make a profit on the whole deal. Just feel it's not really a huge risk, but a gamble that just could work at relatively little cost. Oh, and before anyone asks, he´s 30 years old. I´d be interested in hearing our resident city fan´s opinion.

Guest Toonie

One I think we shouls sign Taiwo, a great young LB. That aside, if you go to utube and search Newcastle - Tottenham watch the match in which we beat them 7-1  with shearer and co. and then the match we won this year 3-2. The main difference is the defense. In the match we won 7-1 we are always in control and the midfielders can worry about attacking and scoring 7 goals. In the match this year, notice how we are alway on the run and tottenham are controlling the pace of the match and always putting us on the back foot. Anyone we get will be better than last year and I think the Captain of Marseille is clearly good enough.

Journal seem to think we've been granted permission to make an offer to him, but I'm not entirely sure if we can trust the Journal after the number of times they've been wrong about similar things. Time is running out before this Austrian training camp kicks off, mind, so I would expect some big movement between now and the weekend on the transfer front.

Things MUST have been affected money-wise this week due to the boardroom business, and that is surely the reason why Rozehnal's transfer has been so protracted? Obviously there's a lot of changes going on at the very top of the club and it's had a knock-on effect on the transfer business. Now Ashley's hit 90% and he's got the boardroom cleared we should start seeing some more forward motion.

As I've said elsewhere, if Beye means the end of Stephen Carr and helps to push Ramage out on loan somewhere then I'll be delighted with it.

We will play a 3-5-2 just like Allardyce did at Bolton before switching to a 4-4-2.

Rozehnal, (Taylor/Hyypia) & Beye will be the three centre backs.

The only way we might veer from this formation is if both Owens and Martins leave. In which case Sam might just get in personnel for a 4-3-3.

3-5-2 it is you heard it here first. Remember KaKa told you so when it goes down.

Seems an ideal signing, good calibre, versatile and club captain. Coupled with Geremi will surely spell the end of the Troll.

Heinze and Baines would do me to complete our backline...ok go on, throw Sol Campbell in aswell.

We are in Barca meeting Gudjohnson. no mention of the central defender of barca, We have also offered and agreed provisional terms with Habib Beye who will give a defo answer on monday.

Eidur would be a class signing!

From skunkers resident ITK

Seems an ideal signing, good calibre, versatile and club captain. Coupled with Geremi will surely spell the end of the Troll.

Heinze and Baines would do me to complete our backline...ok go on, throw Sol Campbell in aswell.

Bad idea.

Heinze meanz Baines would be on the bench.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Bad idea.

Heinze meanz Baines would be on the bench.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

mackems.gif

We are in Barca meeting Gudjohnson. no mention of the central defender of barca, We have also offered and agreed provisional terms with Habib Beye who will give a defo answer on monday.

Eidur would be a class signing!

From skunkers resident ITK

Beggin' yer pardon but what is 'skunkers'?