Newcastle win race to sign Alan Smith - Mirror gossip

Guest sicko2ndbest

A mate of mine who lives just outside Newcastle (man u fan) said he has seen on a man u website that Smith has signed for £3.5m

How true this is i dont know

:jesuswept:

Don't take this the wrong way mate, but how old are you? Your profile says 21?

:lol: I hope you aren't suggesting he got the numbers the wrong way round when he was typing Dave :D

Guest Geordiecunny

I know it's a cliché but I am ITK on this one- I've been told Smith will have talks on monday and sign on wednesday.

I know it's a cliché but I am ITK on this one- I've been told Smith will have talks on monday and sign on wednesday.

As well as being ITK you can see into the future? If he is going to sign on Wednesday there isn't much need for a talk today? :D

Guest johnson293

Which monday?

Today, next monday, the one after?

If we sign Smith as a replacement for Ameobi then fine, if its in case Owen or Martins is going then not fine, not fine at all!

Really don't think he's enough of an upgrade on Ameobi to make it worth our while, personally.

Being reported in a few places that 'Boro have bid £6m for him. Might have been a good buy for the initial £3.5m but that seems a bit steep. Happy to see him go elsewhere for that money.

Well so I was told this Monday and this Wednesday. I know his uncle.

If this is indeed true it might mean that Owen is going the other way.

I personally thought Alan Smith was a possibility as Mr. Oliver didn't exactly deny it last week. Instead he said something very vague ... along the lines of Newcastle being surprised by the article.

Guest johnson293

As above really, would have him in for about £3.5m, but if there is any truth that Boro (or anyone else) have bid £6m, then we shouldn't get into a bidding war for him.

'Tis a strange one though - Out of the blue, the Mirror proclaims we have won the race for him at £3.5m, a race we that we (supporters) didn't even know we were in, and then same paper is full of stories at the weekend of him going to Boro for almost twice the amount, or Redknapp wanting him for £3.5m, and no further mention of us.

And now, ITK rumours claiming he will indeed join us this week!

Crap player. All huff and puff - Ameobi's better. Nuff said.

I agree, utterly pointless signing and would be a waste of money - even if he cost 100k i wouldn't be happy.

Guest exilim

If we get our 10m compensation and 9m for Owen, 3.5 for smith and we are left with 15.5 m.

5.5 m for diarra then we will be left with 10m.

10m for a good enough striker to replace owen. O wait, where's the defence?

Will it be possible to get another top class striker after we get rid of him, together with great defenders without Ashley's cash? hard uh

Im not Smiths biggest fan but i wouldnt be that disappointed if we signed him, TBH i think we need players like him for when we are playing away from home, Players with a bit of fight in them and players who hate losing, Sometimes when we lose some players like Baba dont seem to give a fuck.

I dont think Smith would come here simply because he wont be given a guarantee that he will be first choice striker, If Owen is sold and Smith is his replacement i will be very pissed off.

Fuckin hell, the Sky Sports boards are funny.

A Boro fan on the Boro section when it was rumoured we were getting Smith for £3.5m

http://forums.skysports.com/viewtopic.aspx?s=1&b=3&c=3&f=250&t=3012&p=1

WILL VIDUKA AND SMITH TAKE THE MAGS DOWN

The mags think they have smith on board to line up with the fat boy viduka,Well lets hope they have!!!!! Viduka only plays when he needs a contract and Smith does not score enough goals.Good old big sam(and son)take the mags down......

Same poster when Boro were later rumoured to be getting him for £6m, on the Newcastle board this time

http://forums.skysports.com/viewtopic.aspx?s=1&b=3&c=3&f=260&t=3119&p=1

BORO BEAT TOON TO SMITH

BORO BEAT TOON TO SMITH, ONCE AGAIN A PLAYER CHOOSES TO SWAP THE BIGGEST CLUD IN THE NORTH WEST FOR THE BIGGEST CLUB IN THE NORTHEAST.WHEN YOU LOOK AT SMITH AS A PERSON ,YOU CAN SEE WHY HE HAS MADE THE CHOICE.WHY WOULD HE WANT TO DROP HIS STANDARDS AND PLAY FOR NUFC,POOR CROWDS,HIGH TURN OVER OF PLAYERS AND MANAGERS AND A PLAYER IN VIDUKA ,WHO WHEN THEY LAST PLAYED TOGETHER GOT HIM AND LEEDS RELEGATED. ANOTHER GOOD BUY FROM THE BORO,BUT A SIGNING ALWAYS IN THE BAG DUE TO LACK OF COMPETION FOR NUFC