Emre's Staying

Skirge

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_headline=i%2Dm-staying%2D-vows-emre%26method=full%26objectid=19351498%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

I'm staying, vows Emre

Jun 25 2007

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

Emre has rejected the opportunity to make an emotional return to action in Istanbul after resisting Galatasaray's advances in order to pledge his future to Newcastle.

And a player who has also turned down an offer from Fenerbahçe this summer has identified his admiration for Sam Allardyce among his main reasons for wanting to remain at St James's Park.

The midfielder will not be alone in staying put when his departure had appeared inevitable, with Freddie Shepherd expected to survive a boardroom cull this morning. Mike Ashley's takeover had seemed certain to bring his long reign to an end but, although his colleagues are all preparing to resign their positions, Shepherd has been asked to remain in office.

The United chairman had planned to stand down, but Ashley's advisers are keen to retain his expertise as a fresh era begins at the club. Shepherd has been made an offer to continue his stewardship and, although he has yet to agree, the signs are that a man who has spent recent days considering the matter will announce that he will do so, assuming that he likes what is said at today's meeting.

Allardyce - who is poised to complete David Rozehnal's signing from Paris-Saint Germain - will keep a close eye on developments. The 52-year-old will hope that a resolution to a protracted power struggle will aid his attempts to rebuild his first-team squad, with progress having not been as quick as he would have liked.

With pre-season training set to start next week, a manager who had planned radical changes has so far signed just two players this summer. That Emre has declared his commitment to the Gallowgate cause will offer encouragement that things are moving in the right direction. "I'm very happy in England and I'm not thinking about leaving Newcastle," said the former Inter Milan favourite (pictured right), who is preparing to return to Tyneside for a third season.

"I know all the Turkish newspapers will write my name in their headlines during the transfer window. But although I have received serious offers from Galatasaray and Fenerbahçe, I want to continue my career in England.

"The Premier League is famous all over the world and that's why I wanted to move there. I will stay at Newcastle. I have great respect for Sam Allardyce, the new coach." Having started his colourful career at the Ali Sami Yen Stadium, Galatasaray's approach will have held an obvious appeal for a lifelong supporter who progressed through the club's youth system to become a Turkish superstar.

In a rival pitch, Fenerbahçe have offered Emre Champions League football following their latest Turkcell Super Lig championship triumph.

However, although Newcastle will not contest a Continental campaign following last season's struggles under Glenn Roeder, a player determined to rebuild his career in England following the racist abuse charges which threatened his footballing future is planning to return.

Having sold Scott Parker to West Ham, Allardyce will welcome such news. Indications that Rafael Benitez has no plans to attempt to lure Michael Owen back to Liverpool will also be considered with relief, although Arsenal's intentions remain a concern.

As the search starts for Thierry Henry's successor, both Owen and Obafemi Martins are among the leading candidates, although Bolton's Nicolas Anelka is understood to be Arsenal's first choice.

It seems Allardyce will have Shepherd's support as he strives to retain the pair. The club's long-serving chairman has studied Ashley's proposals for a new-look management structure and the indications last night were he is content with his proposed role under Newcastle's incoming owner, with Ashley's team aware some continuity is needed as they prepare to appoint a new board.

The club's existing directors are set to sever their ties with the club, with a meeting having been scheduled for this morning. Executive director Douglas Hall, his sister Allison Antonopoulos, fellow non-executive director Timothy Revill and Shepherd's brother Bruce are all expected to stand down.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I agree that we need more consistency from Emre, but I am glad he is staying, he is the only ball playing midfielder we've got.

Didn't know he was supposed to be leaving anyway.

Didn't you know, Bayern were desperate to sign him...

Anyway, no good news to me. He is a hot-blooded, diving dickhead, who is more likely to receive a red card or feign injuries than to create anything productive.

Anyway, no good news to me. He is a hot-blooded, diving dickhead, who is more likely to receive a red card or feign injuries than to create anything productive.

I WAS WAITING. :lol:

I WAS WAITING. :lol:

:coolsmiley:

Posted my thoughts on Emre in another thread, think I'll just copy and paste it in here.

The jist is that I think he'll really shine as part of a 3-man center midfield, while he's not really suited to a regular 4-4-2, which he's been part of nearly all his time here.

-----

Emre has been very inconsistent in his time here, don't think anyone can argue that. His real problem is that he doesn't really fit into a regular 4-4-2 formation, or 2 man CM midfield combination of any kind. As a holding player, he's too prone to switching off at times, which you can't have from your DM. While he's willing to get himself about and is a fiery little fella by all accounts, he doesn't really win the ball a lot or protect the defense outstandingly. So he's not cut out for the holding roll.

In his first season here, he played primarily alongside Parker, with Parker in the holding roll. While he is very technically sound on the ball, he didn't get into advanced positions on a regular enough basis to cause worry for the opposition defenses. You need one of your midfielders to get beyond the strikers on a regular enough basis and score goals from the middle of the park, and Emre doesn't and I don't think he ever will.

So while he doesn't seem to fit in there, he's a great fit for a 3-man midfield. With an imposing DM to protect the back 4, and Barton a box-to-box to player who will get into dangerous positions and hopefully contribute goals from the middle, Emre will be the link man, or deep lying playmaker. His job will be to be the main distributor of play from the middle, constantly available to recieve the ball and find a team-mate, which is crucial in retaining possesion. Pirlo does it for Milan, Xavi for Barcelona, and Carrick will be likely be able to step into that role for Man U now that thye have a more natural ball-winner in Hargreaves.

Think Emre has the qualities to do it, even though some will say (and rightfully) that he has been very wasteful with possesion at times for us. With a more suitable role in the team, combined with a center forward like Viduka who he can play the ball into feet to, full-backs who he's comfortable exchanging possesion with knowing they're not likely to panic at any moment and hoof the ball aimlessly forward, a solid holding midfielder behind him, and runners from deep like Barton, Milner, possibly N'Zogbia or whoever else we end up with in midfield with, I think we'll see Emre flourish next year.

Decent post that.

You read it and responded in the space of 24 seconds? :lol:

:lol:

I would agree with what you said, i think Emre's best attribute is making short passes and getting himself around the pitch and with a DCM and Barton making the runs into the box it could work well.

He really needs to sort out his fitness though. The guy does get injured a lot. He also always looks like he has been seriously injured even when he hasn't, whcih is very annoying as it leaves you on tenterhooks.

We will definitely need a promising midfielder on our bench who could step in everytime Emre is hurt. Boateng for the supposed £1 million would be good.

Guest Guinness

Good news IMO. He's one of the few creative players we currently have at the club, while I don't think we've seen the best of him yet hopefully Allardyce can bring it out of him.

He really needs to sort out his fitness though.

Hopefully our new training/fitness setup can sort him out.

This news is great for me as hes one of my fave Newcastle players, just love it when he scores  :celb:

Good news tbh. No question for me, that he is potentially one of our best players. I'm not going go on, because i'll only repeat what Shak's said.

I respect his loyalty aswell tbh. If i went to Galatasaray and had what was a fairly poor couple of seasons there, including run-ins with the law and general lack of support from the supporters, and Newcastle came calling for me - i'd probably be out in a flash. It's the same for Emre (obviously just the other way round). So respect!