Edmilson agrees move to NUFC. Or not? - SSN

magorific

-

I still think it was a fly out to speak to Eidur, only to tell him he's our no1 target if either of our strikers leave. Maybe something happened today (martins willing to re-sign or Berbatov to Manu) that put that on a back burner,

agreed :thup: my guess would be martins contract if he signs that would be the best transfer news so far this summer in my opinion  :celb:

Guest Toon83

Edmilson doesnt look like happening and if it does then it looks like Barca are playing hard ball judging by the comments from Txiki Beguiristain, could end up costing us more than we expect.

Eidur Gudjohnssen would be an awesome signing, and i would go for him even if we kept Owen and Martins (which is not looking likely, owen will be the one to go IMO), so Eidur would be the perfect foil for Viduka and can play behing two strikers aswell, £8m is peanuts for a player of his quality

Guest SwissMagpie

It seems that no one really knows why Big Sam went to Barcelona,they all got on the Alan Oliver wave of Edmilson.maybe its Eidur or maybe Thuram?

Guest Verlaine

I still think it was a fly out to speak to Eidur, only to tell him he's our no1 target if either of our strikers leave. Maybe something happened today (martins willing to re-sign or Berbatov to Manu) that put that on a back burner,

'Hi mate, you're basically our back-up plan. Be good and hang around whilst we worry about players we want more than you.'

'Cheers, will do, thanks for making it abundantly clear that you're desperate to sign me.'

like touched upon once or twice! This whole thing doesnt make much sense.

They dont want to sell Edmilson, he's injured, why the hell would they need to fly over there to do anything other than get him to sign. Would we really need to get in this early to get his signature?

Surely just a big smokescreen?

Clearly getting Rijkaard to work under Lee Clark as reserve coach.

Guest graemeh72

maybe theres a decent bordello

mate if you only knew

the strip near Barcelona's marina, disguised as a hotel, however.....

that strip?

Saturday's Telegraph says he wants 80K a week! The Gudjohnsen rumours are gathering pace, they're claiming we've began talks over him.

Newcastle rethink after Edmilson pay demand

By Rob Stewart

Sam Allardyce, the Newcastle manager, was re-evaluating his move for Barcelona's injury-prone Brazilian international Edmilson last night after it emerged that the World Cup winner was seeking an £80,000-a-week deal.

Allardyce, who has also expressed interest in Barcelona forward Eidur Gudjohnsen, had been ready to gamble on Edmilson, 30, who has a history of injury problems and is likely to be sidelined for up to six months following knee surgery.

While Edmilson's wage demands might be compared with Michael Owen's £103,000-a-week contract it would dwarf the deals recently agreed with new recruits Mark Viduka and Joey Barton and could raise eyebrows among the new powers-that-be at Newcastle, where Mike Ashley's £133.8 million takeover is effectively complete.

Allardyce has also initiated talks with Barcelona over former Bolton forward Gudjohnsen, 28, which shows that he is drawing up a contingency plan to cope with the loss of strikers Owen or Obafemi Martins should they take advantage of get-out clauses in their contracts.

The Newcastle manager, who is to add England coach Steve Round to his staff, returned last night after a two-day trip to Barcelona having spoken to Edmilson. The former Lyon player has a year left on his Nou Camp contract and would cost a nominal fee. Newcastle believe he could play again as early as October.

80 grand? Tell him to f*** off.

if he's fit and playing to his potential he's worth that

So many more appropriate/better options.

i know

but how many of them are going to come to us? Edmilson is a terrific player and i've thought for a while he'd do well in the premiership at a faster pace. We can't attract Nesta or Marquez, he's the next best thing

Guest jazzfido

To summarise:

Newcastle are considering signing Edmilson (either as a CD or DM), probably relatively cheaply (say £1m) with a weekly wage of £80k. These are the reasons why this is a really bad idea.

1) He is injured for the next six months plus whatever rehabilitation period is necessary.

2) He is injury prone. He has had three bad knee injuries in the last three years.

3) He is unproven in the premiership.

4) He has been unconvincing in La Liga.

5) The cost of signing him is much too high. If NU sign Edmilson on a two year contract, the cost will be £8.5m in wages plus the transfer fee. All in all around £9.5m.

6) He has no resell value.

From an economic perspective, the alternative to signing this player (and this should put it all in perspective) is to sign a younger player for £5.5m at £40k a week. This would, over a two year period, cost exactly the same as signing Edmilson. If this alternative player has a resell value of £3m, the club can even justify paying £8.5m for him now (assuming £40k a week wages). Surely, it is possible to find such a player?

Signing old players, unless they are on low wages or are of very high value to the team (and Edmilson is not such a player), is always a very bad idea. If NU sign Edmilson, it will be as bad a signing as Boumsong was.

Maybe it was a preliminary talk about coming to Newcastle at the end of the season, when his contract has expired, and presumably he's fit again.

I absolutely cannot believe that in our situation we're trying to sign him up now though. He's a 30 year old who's still recovering from a knee injury. There's no certainty about recovery times, and in any case, he may not come back the same player.