toontownman

Guest lebowski

1. Chelsea: Shevchenko, Pizarro, Drogba, Kalou

2. Spurs: Bent, Defoe, Berbatov, Keane

3. Man United: Rooney, Tevez, Smith, Saha, Anderson

4. Liverpool: Voronin, Kuyt, Torres, Crouch

5. Newcastle Utd: Viduka, Owen, Martins, Shola

6. Arsenal: Adebayor, Van Persie, da silva, walcott, bendtner

That's how I'd rate them now. Chelsea have Drogba; therefore they are at the top of the list.

Questions remaining:

• Are Spurs going to hold on to all four?
  • Are Man Utd going to keep Saha? Will he be healthy?
  • How good is Da Silva anyway?
  • How good is Michael Owen now? If he returns to form, I'd place our attack higher. Its a big question mark

I think people are giving way too much credit to the Spuds attack, Manure's is definitely above them and I suspect Liverpools will be certainly as good as Spuds if not  a little better. As for ours though I'm not that convinced, a fit and productive Michael Owen, sure, but otherwise I'm not that inspired (but still way too hopeful). I think also for me I would prefer Manure's and in some ways Liverpools (I think they look better balanced this season, wish we had got Kuyt) attacks to Chelskis .

Interesting thread though apart from when that cockney child fool hijacked it.

Guest Verlaine

Shaping up for another great premiership, big money being thrown around in every corner of the premiership. We seem to say it every year, but is this the best year for strike forces in the premiership?

Shevchenko, Pizarro, Drogba, Kalou

Rooney, Tevez, Smith, Saha, Anderson

Bent, Defoe, Berbatov, Keane

Viduka, Owen, Martins, Shola

Voronin, Kuyt, Torres, Crouch

Adebayor, Van Persie, da silva, walcott, bendtner

Expect the likes of Man City, West Ham and Pompey to spend big on strikers in the coming weeks too.

Even the midtable sides have the odd striker that could slot into a top six side squad.

Suprisingly Arsenal's strikeforce looks the weakest out of that list tbh.

Liverpool's imo.

I think everyone might be underatting just how amazing drogba was last season he pretty much single handedly kept them in the title race when they went through that dodgy patch he was outstanding, if sheva eventually starts to regain any of his milan form then chelsea's attack will deffinatly be up there. On paper i like the sound of man utd's attack more of a total football dutch style im thinking of without a main front man as such but with a number of players exchanging places and popping up all over the pitch ronaldo rooney now quite possibly tevez then add a bit of youth to that with nani and if saha manages to stay fit he'll always score goals pretty exciting season for the prem next year... Who said the spanish league was the best in the world :parky:

Guest Morph

Berbatov is better than Shearer - Fact.

I'll get back to you when I find those facts, could take a fucking long time though.

People  need to remeber that Tevez is still a West Ham player...

:rolleyes:

A lot assumptions all around. The two  that look set are Chelsea and Liverpool.

Chelsea: Shevchenko, Pizarro, Drogba, Kalou

Spurs: Bent, Berbatov, Keane, Defoe

Man United: Rooney, Tevez, Saha, Anderson

Liverpool: Voronin, Kuyt, Torres, Crouch, Bellamy

Newcastle Utd: Viduka, Owen,  Gudjohnsen, Shola, Martins

Arsenal: Adebayor, Van Persie, Da Silva, Martins, Walcott, Bendtner

Guest kingdawson

Shearer at his best was better than Berbatov in all departments. It was only later in his career after injuries and ageing took their toll that Shearer became more reliant on his strength. In the mid-90s he was very mobile and his link up play was superb. He was far more than just a finisher, he was a brilliant footballer. He didn't have the quick feet or the stepovers but he didn't really need them, his touch, passing, even his crossing was excellent. You don't score 121 goals in 148 games (his peak) by having a poorer touch, poorer control, poorer creativity, poorer passing and poorer link-up play than Berbatov! You're crazy if you believe that. Many of the goals Shearer scored were moves started by him, one-twos or balls fed out wide before getting himself into the box. You seem to be basing your opinion of Shearer on his last few seasons as a player.

Ask any neutral and they'll tell you you're talking bollocks. There are great Premiership forwards like Cantona, Bergkamp, Henry. Shearer can be placed in that category. Mention Berbatov's name anywhere near that category and people will snigger.

Your first sentence proves your looking at things with your black and white coloured glasses on tbh. Shearer at his best never ever ever ever ever had the vision and technique that Berbatov possess so quit chatting rubbish. That comment was almost as funny as the guy that said Les Ferdinand possessed Berba's attributes in his prime. Ronaldo seems to be talking a lot of sense tbh.

Guest kingdawson

Berbatov is overrated by the media. Good striker, but not a great striker. He went through a purple patch in the second half of the season and scored some excellent goals and the media hype around him was huge. But the same happened with Martins. A barren spell and suddenly everyone looks at it differently. That's to be expected with players in their first season in England.

Berbatov didn't perform wonders last season, he was just decent and showed potential to be better than decent. Kevin Doyle outscored him playing for Reading, yet the way some people talk about Berbatov you'd think he was the next big thing. And to think Spurs fans say their strike force is better than Arsenal's when Van Persie scored 1 less goal than Berbatov and got more assists than him and he only played 21 games compared to Berbatov's 32! If Van Persie hadn't missed so much of the season he'd have got far more goals and assists. And I predict he'll outscore Berbatov next season.

Stop quoting facts and telling the truth!

I know 1 poster who's now in tears after having read that. You, you, you........heartless beast.

O0

Well if your refering to me, i kinda stopped reading after ohmelads decided to lie by saying that Van Persie got more assists to Berbatov so i guess his not really "quoting facts and telling the truth" now is he.

Berbatov is overrated by the media. Good striker, but not a great striker. He went through a purple patch in the second half of the season and scored some excellent goals and the media hype around him was huge. But the same happened with Martins. A barren spell and suddenly everyone looks at it differently. That's to be expected with players in their first season in England.

Berbatov didn't perform wonders last season, he was just decent and showed potential to be better than decent. Kevin Doyle outscored him playing for Reading, yet the way some people talk about Berbatov you'd think he was the next big thing. And to think Spurs fans say their strike force is better than Arsenal's when Van Persie scored 1 less goal than Berbatov and got more assists than him and he only played 21 games compared to Berbatov's 32! If Van Persie hadn't missed so much of the season he'd have got far more goals and assists. And I predict he'll outscore Berbatov next season.

Stop quoting facts and telling the truth!

I know 1 poster who's now in tears after having read that. You, you, you........heartless beast.

O0

Well if your refering to me, i kinda stopped reading after ohmelads decided to lie by saying that Van Persie got more assists to Berbatov so i guess his not really "quoting facts and telling the truth" now is he.

Ahhh..diddums... :lol:

I went to the pub today with a ManU (reasons to be bitter) and a Pompey fan, they couldn't stop laughing when I told them about the spurs fan trying to claim Berbatov is a better player than Shearer was in his prime.

Honestly KD go and ask anyone who isn't a spurs or Toon fan their opinion. I bet the vast majority say Shearer in his prime is the better player.

Guest kingdawson

I went to the pub today with a ManU (reasons to be bitter) and a Pompey fan, they couldn't stop laughing when I told them about the spurs fan trying to claim Berbatov is a better player than Shearer was in his prime.

Honestly KD go and ask anyone who isn't a spurs or Toon fan their opinion. I bet the vast majority say Shearer in his prime is the better player.

Nice story. I can also tell you that countless conversations i had with my mates about how limited shearer was as a player. Very good goalscorer, very good headerer of the ball and good hold up play.

Guest brewer

Did that really happen?

Guest Narttu

Oh god, I cant understand how someone can say things like this. Shearer at his prime was one of the WORLD´S greatest players, Berbatov should try to make it to the top3 of the current Premiership first.

KingDawson, what happens if Berbatov fails next season? Shearer produced great displays for 15years, Berba still has A LOT to do..

Nice story. I can also tell you that countless conversations i had with my mates about how limited shearer was as a player. Very good goalscorer, very good headerer of the ball and good hold up play.

:lol:  Shearer in his prime? Those mates are clearly just as stupid as you then.

I love that you've tried to brush under the carpet the fact that you said Berbatov is more skilful, has more vision etc, than Peter Beardsley. Why don't you respond to the points put to you about him?

Answer is because, if you've ever seen Pedro in his prime, you know it's a no-contest.

Guest firetotheworks

Cant really understand how people can honestly say that Shearer was ever a better player then Berbatov. Better Striker? Yes, Better goalscorer? Yes, but no way was he ever a better player then Berbatov.

Isnt berbatov a Striker? Isnt he a Goalscorer? Yep, thought so, and even so, how you think Berbatov is a better footballer than Shearer is laughable. I really like Berbatov, but I think you're getting 'footballer' mixed up with 'flair'. you play to your strengths in football. Shearers strengths surpass Berbatovs by quite a bit. One season of brilliance vs 15 or so seasons of brilliance amidst injuries, endless managers and at times a shoddy excuse for a football team. At all of those times Shearer was brilliant. Only in his last 2 seasons was he showing his age.

:lol:  Shearer in his prime? Those mates are clearly just as stupid as you then.

Probably go to the same special school.

They are your mates afterall.

Quality conversations no doubt.

I'm surprised you managed to keep your tongue off the window long enough to hold a conversation with anyone tbh.

Guest kingdawson

Oh god, I cant understand how someone can say things like this. Shearer at his prime was one of the WORLD´S greatest players, Berbatov should try to make it to the top3 of the current Premiership first.

KingDawson, what happens if Berbatov fails next season? Shearer produced great displays for 15years, Berba still has A LOT to do..

During this whole debate ive never once said that Berbatov was or is a better striker then Shearer ever was. Berbatov will probably never ever reach the goalscoring heights of Shearer but my belief is that  berbatov has more to his game then Shearer did in his prime.

During this whole debate ive never once said that Berbatov was or is a better striker then Shearer ever was. Berbatov will probably never ever reach the goalscoring heights of Shearer but my belief is that  berbatov has more to his game then Shearer did in his prime.

Who contributes more to a team?

Guest kingdawson

I'm surprised you managed to keep your tongue off the window long enough to hold a conversation with anyone tbh.

and im not suprised youve decided to reply to a post that dosent concern you in the slightest tbh.

:lol:

Shearer had everything he needed to be one of the most effective players in the premiership, he set people up, helped keep the game moving and scored countless goals in pretty much every fashion you could mention.

But he didn't have as many fancy flicks so Berbatov is obviously better :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Cant really understand how people can honestly say that Shearer was ever a better player then Berbatov. Better Striker? Yes, Better goalscorer? Yes, but no way was he ever a better player then Berbatov.

Isnt berbatov a Striker? Isnt he a Goalscorer? Yep, thought so, and even so, how you think Berbatov is a better footballer than Shearer is laughable. I really like Berbatov, but I think you're getting 'footballer' mixed up with 'flair'. you play to your strengths in football. Shearers strengths surpass Berbatovs by quite a bit. One season of brilliance vs 15 or so seasons of brilliance amidst injuries, endless managers and at times a shoddy excuse for a football team. At all of those times Shearer was brilliant. Only in his last 2 seasons was he showing his age.

Do you see the point im making KingDawson

Guest kingdawson

I love that you've tried to brush under the carpet the fact that you said Berbatov is more skilful, has more vision etc, than Peter Beardsley. Why don't you respond to the points put to you about him?

Answer is because, if you've ever seen Pedro in his prime, you know it's a no-contest.

hmmm i did actually and tbh i clearly remember saying that Beardsley was far more debatable then then the rest of them . In fact, when someone (think it was that sad loser Baggio) mentioned Beardsley, i was the first to say that. Beardsley and Berbatov are very similiar in style and i honestly dont know which one possess more attributes.

Beardsley >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shearer