Premierships Best Attack?

toontownman

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16694

After a promising start where they seemed to be redeeeming themselves as fans, they've slipped. One has gone so far as to agree with Tony Cascarino's bizarre declaration that Berbatov is the 2nd coming of Van Basten.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

"In Dimitar Berbatov, are we seeing the second coming of Marco van Basten? I doubt it. No one has come close in the past 20 years. But as I have watched Berbatov prosper this season, it strikes me that he bears comparison to the former Holland forward.

That is praise enough because Van Basten was virtually the perfect No 9 – light on his feet, good in the air and on the ground, creative for his teammates, destructive to the opposition; a rare blend of instinct and cunning. It was Van Basten in the 1980s and early 1990s and it is Berbatov now. He has carried Tottenham Hotspur as Didier Drogba has carried Chelsea and Thierry Henry has carried Arsenal.

Berbatov sees things early, as Dennis Bergkamp did – those little through-balls, delivering or collecting. Creating time for yourself is an art. Bergkamp was a master and Teddy Sheringham has made a career out of it. In front of goal, Berbatov is an Ian Rush, a Gary Lineker, a Jean-Pierre Papin, taking the earliest opportunity to shoot, one or two touches, not overelaborate."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So which other "limited but somehow happens to be the complete goal machine" strikers is Berbatov better than then after one season and eleven goals in the Premiership?

Gerd Muller perhaps? Jimmy Greaves? Marco van Basten? Romario? Go a bit further back and he's miles better than Di Stefano and Puskas, they only scored 1000 goals between them, but how many assists did they get?

You're a fruitcake, lad.

Your sarcastic post shows how clueless you are tbh. Van nistelroory though a very good goalscorer was also a limited player. Take for instance Filippo Inzaghi, the guy has managed to score so many goals on a constant bases despite being a very limited striker (i suppose someones going to try and argue that now).

How was Shearer a limited player when he scored every type of goal?

You call me clueless and you think Dimitar Berbatov can be mentioned in the same sentence as Shearer and Beardsley?

If the shoe was on the other foot and one of our lot was on Glory Glory comparing Lee to Hoddle, I'd be embarrassed. I'd hope other Spurs fans would be, however knowing them, I suspect not.

Tbh im 90% sure that most neutral fans would agree that Berbatov possess more to his game then Shearer in his prime yet Shearer is clearly the better goalscorer.

Let me as you something then Wullie, Did shearer ever in his career have the touch and technique of berbatov?, did Shearer ever have the creativity of Berbatov?

Comparing this debate to rob lee and Glenn Hoddle more or less proves how delusional you are.

Does Berbatov have the shooting power and accuracy from distance of Shearer?

Does Berbatov have the finishing ability of Shearer?

Does Berbatov have the heading abilty of Shearer?

Does Berbatov have the pace of Shearer?

Does Berbatov have the crossing ability of Shearer?

Does Berbatov have the positional sense of Shearer?

Does Berbatov have the movement of Shearer?

Does Berbatov have the incredible strength of Shearer?

We could play this game all night sunshine. Berbatov does some things better than Shearer and Shearer does a hell of a lot more better than Berbatov.

Lee vs Hoddle is a fine comparison - Robert Lee was a top class Premiership midfielder and the second best midfielder in this country for a good few years in the 90s, while Hoddle was genuine world class. Berbatov is a top class striker, but Shearer was world class.

Btw, I just said to my Boro supporting best mate "we've got a Yid on our board reckons Berbatov was better than Shearer", his reply was "I'm biased but errr no I don't think so :lol:".

The answer is 'yes;' to all the ones in bold.

You could make a case for positional sense and movement definitely, I'd even agree with you by and large.

But crossing ability?

Give over, Shearer's crossing was absolutely world class.

Guest kingdawson

After a promising start where they seemed to be redeeeming themselves as fans, they've slipped. One has gone so far as to agree with Tony Cascarino's bizarre declaration that Berbatov is the 2nd coming of Van Basten.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

"In Dimitar Berbatov, are we seeing the second coming of Marco van Basten? I doubt it. No one has come close in the past 20 years. But as I have watched Berbatov prosper this season, it strikes me that he bears comparison to the former Holland forward.

That is praise enough because Van Basten was virtually the perfect No 9 light on his feet, good in the air and on the ground, creative for his teammates, destructive to the opposition; a rare blend of instinct and cunning. It was Van Basten in the 1980s and early 1990s and it is Berbatov now. He has carried Tottenham Hotspur as Didier Drogba has carried Chelsea and Thierry Henry has carried Arsenal.

Berbatov sees things early, as Dennis Bergkamp did those little through-balls, delivering or collecting. Creating time for yourself is an art. Bergkamp was a master and Teddy Sheringham has made a career out of it. In front of goal, Berbatov is an Ian Rush, a Gary Lineker, a Jean-Pierre Papin, taking the earliest opportunity to shoot, one or two touches, not overelaborate."

I cant actually see the article. What's the question?

Oh and maybe i went a bit to far on the crossing ability but i definatly feel he was better then Shearer on the other two points.

That is praise enough because Van Basten was virtually the perfect No 9 – light on his feet, good in the air and on the ground, creative for his teammates, destructive to the opposition; a rare blend of instinct and cunning. It was Van Basten in the 1980s and early 1990s and it is Berbatov now. He has carried Tottenham Hotspur as Didier Drogba has carried Chelsea and Thierry Henry has carried Arsenal.

Berbatov sees things early, as Dennis Bergkamp did – those little through-balls, delivering or collecting. Creating time for yourself is an art. Bergkamp was a master and Teddy Sheringham has made a career out of it. In front of goal, Berbatov is an Ian Rush, a Gary Lineker, a Jean-Pierre Papin, taking the earliest opportunity to shoot, one or two touches, not overelaborate."

Oh and maybe i went a bit to far on the crossing ability but i definatly feel he was better then Shearer on the other two points.

As Ronaldo has said, if his positional sense and movement was as good as Shearer's then why has he only managed a dozen goals in the Premiership?

Surely if his movement was that good he'd be finding plenty of space in the box?

Guest kingdawson

That is praise enough because Van Basten was virtually the perfect No 9 light on his feet, good in the air and on the ground, creative for his teammates, destructive to the opposition; a rare blend of instinct and cunning. It was Van Basten in the 1980s and early 1990s and it is Berbatov now. He has carried Tottenham Hotspur as Didier Drogba has carried Chelsea and Thierry Henry has carried Arsenal.

Berbatov sees things early, as Dennis Bergkamp did those little through-balls, delivering or collecting. Creating time for yourself is an art. Bergkamp was a master and Teddy Sheringham has made a career out of it. In front of goal, Berbatov is an Ian Rush, a Gary Lineker, a Jean-Pierre Papin, taking the earliest opportunity to shoot, one or two touches, not overelaborate."

As Ronaldo has said, if his positional sense and movement was as good as Shearer's then why has he only managed a dozen goals in the Premiership?

Surely if his movement was that good he'd be finding plenty of space in the box?

hmmm is that some sort of trick question?. Maybe because his finishing isnt as good as Shearers?

hmmm is that some sort of trick question?. Maybe because his finishing isnt as good as Shearers?

His finishing must be awful if he's got better movement and positioning than someone who scored 30+ in the league 3 seasons running but can only manage 12 himself.

His finishing must be awful if he's got better movement and positioning than someone who scored 30+ in the league 3 seasons running but can only manage 12 himself.

indeed

indeed

WELL SAID. CLOSE THE THREAD

To be fair Shak, that poster was the exception rather than the rule.  Most seemed to have kept grip of reality.

To be fair Shak, that poster was the exception rather than the rule.  Most seemed to have kept grip of reality.

I did say they'd started off well tbh.

There's one or two who you can see know the truth, just can't bring themselves to say it. Which is fair enough.

I'm convinced Bubble07 is KD, his response

"shearer is a better goalscorer but berbatov is the better footballer."

:lol:

To even be compared to players like Cantona, Shearer, Bergkamp, Henry and Van Nistelrooy you have to earn it. Half a good season and only one goal against a top half team does not earn you the right to be compared with these players. It's ridiculous that we're even discussing this.

Guest Verlaine

come on, if he had the movement and posiitonal sense of Shearer in his prime he'd be scoring 30+ a season

Not playing for Spurs.  :razz:

I did say they'd started off well tbh.

There's one or two who you can see know the truth, just can't bring themselves to say it. Which is fair enough.

I'm convinced Bubble07 is KD, his response

"shearer is a better goalscorer but berbatov is the better footballer."

:lol:

I did note the similarity in the phraseology................... ;)

The Spurs fans in that thread are so deluded, it's scary: "Berby is a much better player in nearly every aspect."

How can you respond to people as stupid as that?

It used to be a really good forum, solid debate on almost any subject without friction.  Then it seemed to be swamped with hordes of 15 year olds and it's never been the same since.  The best contributors moved on and only the dross are left.  Only found out my ID still works there but following Shak's link, haven't contributed there in ages.

BETTER positional sense and movement than Shearer in his prime!?

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/416/wodchristonabikewv6.jpg

Guest nufc 4 life

KingDawson yet again in the middle of a fucking argument. Why oh why is this immature, delusional, young man (can't really believe he is 22) still allowed to post on this thread. He is someone who has a limited to no footballing knowledge outside of the Tottenham squad and yet he is still allowed on these forums i think if i started a poll asking if KD should be allowed on this forum 70% would say no and if it isn't for the fact that this forum is open to fans from every team that figure would go up to 90%.

Guest kingdawson

KingDawson yet again in the middle of a f****** argument. Why oh why is this immature, delusional, young man (can't really believe he is 22) still allowed to post on this thread. He is someone who has a limited to no footballing knowledge outside of the Tottenham squad and yet he is still allowed on these forums i think if i started a poll asking if KD should be allowed on this forum 70% would say no and if it isn't for the fact that this forum is open to fans from every team that figure would go up to 90%.

Not really an argument on my part, more so a debate. Oh and im not 22  :thup:

Guest kingdawson

Kevin Phillips and Marcus Stewart have had better seasons than Berbatov

They had better GOALSCORING season then berbatov.

Guest nufc 4 life

if you were born in 1985 then you are 22 lol. You obviously wern't born in 85 then aye caught you out there matey.