Jamie Carragher to quit England.

Newcastle Fan

Intresting..

Jamie Carragher is ready to quit the England team after being left out of the crucial Euro 2008 qualifier against Estonia last month.

The Liverpool centre-half, who played in four of England's five games at the World Cup last year, has made just five appearances under Steve McClaren.

He has never started in his favoured position in a back four, even when John Terry and Rio Ferdinand have been injured, despite winning rave reviews as he helped his club to a second Champions League final appearance in three years.

His likely decision to retire from international football, which mirrors Paul Scholes' self-imposed England exile,was brought to a head when he was left out of the side who defeated Estonia 3-0 in Tallinn.

A source close to the 29-year-old said last night: "Jamie does not want to sound like a big-time Charlie. He just feels that at this stage of his career it would be better if he concentrated his efforts on helping Liverpool become the No 1 team in England again.

"He has always regarded it as a tremendous honour to represent his country and he has happy memories of pulling on the shirt. But things have to end some time and he thinks this might be a good time to bow out."

Against Estonia, the euphoria surrounding David Beckham's England return overshadowed Carragher's huge disappointment at being dropped to the bench.

He had accepted the fact he was behind the likes of Terry, Ferdinand and Jonathan Woodgate in the central defensive pecking order but, in a match when both Ferdinand and Woodgate were unavailable, McClaren's preference for the injuryprone Ledley King came as a bitter personal blow.

The situation was made worse when the England manager picked Wes Brown at right-back, a role Carragher has filled in the absence through injury of Gary Neville.

McClaren, having failed to talk Scholes into returning to the international scene, has not given up on persuading Carragher to reverse his decision and has been in constant touch with him. He will seek to meet the player on his return, before he names the squad for the friendly against Germany on August 22 at Wembley.

Carragher has collected 34 England caps since he made his debut as a substitute against Hungary in April 1999, ironically in the game that also signalled Brown's nternational arrival. In that time, the Anfield favourite has earned a reputation for being a wholehearted player who rarely let the side down, despite being asked to play all across the back four.

Eriksson once tried him as a holding midfield player, but McClaren has used him at right-back, left-back and as one of three centre-halves in a 3-5-2 formation, as well as, briefly, in his favoured position.

Carragher won 27 caps during Eriksson's reign, but his appearances have been restricted to just three starts since McClaren took over.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=466902&in_page_id=1779&ct=5

Can understand where he's coming from i suppose. But in fairness to McClaren and to various predecessors - Carragher's just never really done owt for England.

Then again what did Brown do, for both club and country to deserve a place in the starting line-up?

A 29 year old CH retiring from Internationals seems a bit odd. Wonder why he's doing it?  ???

He's never going to be first choice - if he was, he would have been by now - and McClaren clearly isn't that fussed, so he might aswell concentrate on his club career. You can see why he's done it.

A 29 year old CH retiring from Internationals seems a bit odd. Wonder why he's doing it?  ???

He's never going to be first choice - if he was, he would have been by now - and McClaren clearly isn't that fussed, so he might aswell concentrate on his club career. You can see why he's done it.

:lol:

I can't actually, which is why I posted what I did!

I rate the guy as a solid, dependable defender who can cover CH or RB. At a real push, as a DM. His versatility means he'd be in virtually England squad for the next few seasons, regardless of the manager. Genuinely struggling to see why he'd turn his back on England. May be it's just me?  :o

Never realised he was 29, I thought he was 25/26, I remember when he was just a kid. Carragher is class, he's just unlucky he was Terry and Rio to compete with.

How old was Scholes when he packed the national team in?

After Euro 2004 wasn't it? Would have been 29/30 in that case i think? Which is fair enough, considering his performances for Man Utd in the past couple of seasons. Certainly a good case for suggesting his good club performances have been amplified thanks to international retirement, same could be said for Shearer - who quit at the same sort of age as Scholes. Carragher's just not going to get into that starting line-up as first-choice, imo. He might aswell focus on Liverpool when it's proved that such Premiership-player career moves have worked for the better by doing this.

Guest eyeball_tickler

taylors now 1 step closer to getting a call up to the first team squad. he wont play but he's getting closer.

Guest brewer

Can understand where he's coming from i suppose. But in fairness to McClaren and to various predecessors - Carragher's just never really done owt for England.

Then again what did Brown do, for both club and country to deserve a place in the starting line-up?

Brown is excellent for his club, rubbish for England, like most Man U players generally.

The Carragher is a good move for both parties. His main competition is the captain, he's got no chance.

Thought Scholes was only 28 when he quit.

Shame for Carragher, but some players just arent cut out for International football in the way they are club football.

Carragher has been immense for Liverpool for years, has always looked shaky for England and never completely impressed.

Like wise Andy Cole and dare I say Frank Lampard.

Good news for Taylor and up and coming younguns if true.

the idiot from the Sun that called Carragher 'the best defender in europe' after 'Pool beat Barca earlier this year

he's never been good enough for international football. Rugged, agressive, all-action defending can only get you so far

the idiot from the Sun that called Carragher 'the best defender in europe' after 'Pool beat Barca earlier this year

he's never been good enough for international football. Rugged, agressive, all-action defending can only get you so far

...And yet he 's still head and shoulders above any defender we've seen in black and white, bar Woodgate, for the last 10(?) years. Says it all tbh.  :rolleyes:

...And yet he 's still head and shoulders above any defender we've seen in black and white, bar Woodgate, for the last 10(?) years. Says it all tbh.  :rolleyes:

I think if you isloate the premiership years and 10 ever-present teams from that period, we'll have the least amount of defenders fit for the top flight

it's a fucking disgrace

Guest youcantseeme

Not cut out for international football? I can't remember a game he's had at center back. Suppose it'll be funny watching Rio and Terry aka the chuck brothers though  ;D

Rio is absolute world class, Terry is slightly behind him but they're country miles ahead of Zamie Carragher

Things must be getting bad if he's world class, I'd have Terry ahead of Ferdinand 9.999 times out of 10. 

Rio is absolute world class, Terry is slightly behind him but they're country miles ahead of Zamie Carragher

Things must be getting bad if he's world class, I'd have Terry ahead of Ferdinand 9.999 times out of 10. 

terry is not half as effective as Rio. Rio has not real weaknesses anymore, concentration problems seem to have been eradicated

Thats englands loss big time!they never gave him a proper chance,hes a way better defender than  rio ferdinand!hes not a full back,simple as!!!!

right

heading - Rio

tackling - tie

pace - Rio

Strength - Rio

reading - Rio

technique - Rio

it's no contest, Rio is ten times the defender Carragher could ever be