Been offered Deco and enquired about Eto'o...according to The Journal.

Guest DavB93

Guest Ridzuan

The news is too good to be true.I wouldnt mind having both Deco and Eto'o here though I dont think we need Eto'o unless one of our strikers leave.Hope the Deco news is true.

Guest Guinness

I'd be amazed if we actually got Deco, but if we did what a deal! nufc.com are usually reliable when it comes to transfer rumours, but they've also made a few mistakes. I'd obviously be chuffed if this turned out to be true.

Why would they not come here??

No european football. 

No track record of success. North of England. Other options. Something of a step-down from Barcelona. We still don't have a left-back.

"North of England"  -  Very bizarre thing to say.  What are YOU ashamed of?

Verlaine's a southern softie anyway. He has a point though. I love the Toon but I realise it isn't that attractive an option to your average foreigner.

So, so, so wrong. See my response to Verlaine.

I'm not wrong though.

You appear brainwashed.

It is not possible to think and say what you think and say, without that having happened to you - throughout your life.

Think about it.

I have. Cheers :)

Aye, my fault, lets get back to football crack!!!

Guest Kenton Magpie

How have we changed? we havent even kicked a ball yet......

"Money changes everything"

£50m that was giving to Souness and i beg to differ

Deco has been a good player in good teams playing in leagues where you have time on the ball & diving is accepted.

I believe he would struggle in our current team & would take at least a year to adapt to the Prem, if at all. He would get slaughted for his diving & he would not like the weather (yes, it is a factor).

Much as I would love to see that calibre of player I'd rather we were sorting the defence out. If he comes in addition to this - great; what our line up would be is anybodys' guess.

Can't se Eto'o coming, anyway; he'd be off the ACN & when we played against Mallorca he simply went missing. Great player - when he wants, I don't think he'd want to for us.

I'd be far happier with up & coming players, with desire to win things as opposed to players who have seen it, done it & may no longer want it.

Guest Verlaine

Deco has been a good player in good teams playing in leagues where you have time on the ball & diving is accepted.

I believe he would struggle in our current team & would take at least a year to adapt to the Prem, if at all. He would get slaughted for his diving & he would not like the weather (yes, it is a factor).

Much as I would love to see that calibre of player I'd rather we were sorting the defence out. If he comes in addition to this - great; what our line up would be is anybodys' guess.

Can't se Eto'o coming, anyway; he'd be off the ACN & when we played against Mallorca he simply went missing. Great player - when he wants, I don't think he'd want to for us.

I'd be far happier with up & coming players, with desire to win things as opposed to players who have seen it, done it & may no longer want it.

Signing someone like Deco would help to attract higher calibre of players in other positions, though. They'd be more impressed with us after the transfer (if it happened) than having seen us pick up a few frees. Having said that, I do share your concerns as to whether he'd do well in England.

Signing someone like Deco would help to attract higher calibre of players in other positions, though. They'd be more impressed with us after the transfer (if it happened) than having seen us pick up a few frees. Having said that, I do share your concerns as to whether he'd do well in England.

Like this one maybe? ;)

William Gallas has hinted he wants to leave Arsenal after criticising Arsene Wenger's transfer policy and questioning the club's ambition.

The French defender claims several Gunners players are unhappy following the deaprture of Thierry Henry to Barcelona and insists Wenger's policy of buying young players will not deliver trophies.

And he revealed he plans to hold talks with the board when he returns for pre-season training to discuss his own future after becoming frustrated at Arsenal's failure to compete with title contenders Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

He told his own website: "What is sure, it is that several players are questioning the club's future.

"Around us, all the teams are recruiting but what is planned to compensate for the departure of Titi Henry?

"I am not at Arsenal to play for third place. It is necessary to recruit players of reputation because the young players have many qualities but the season is very long.

"The young players are thirsty for victories but Arsenal must obtain results to gain titles. If not, one will have to change policy and do the same as the other teams: recruit with more means.

"I will have a discussion with Arsene Wenger and board members to know the objectives of the club this season and what they wish to set up to build an even more competitive team."

And despite only joining Arsenal from Chelsea last season, Gallas indicated he may seek a move if Wenger cannot convince him the club are moving forward.

He added: "Today I am at Arsenal but I do not know what can occur tomorrow.

"All happens so quickly in the world of football."

If we have enough money to sign Deco as some kind of lost leader to get others in bring it on!

Eto'o  mackems.gif

Deco is more possible.

Hey Geremi knows him well, and I do remember Eto'o saying he wanted a crack at the prem, so he could be having a few words with his agent right now!

I'd kiss a mackem if this happened!

Eto'o was just saying on SSN the other day how much he was looking forward to playing with Henry.

We'd better buy him as well then.

Why does his Wikipedia say that SSN reported a fee has been agreed?

You know how wikipedia works, right?

Well Mr. Verlaine, I guess the Deco move isn't looking as ridiculous as you claimed it would be now is it! O ye of little faith!

If we sign Deco I'll be expecting an apology considerign the abuse you sent my way.

:razz:

Guest alex

Well Mr. Verlaine, I guess the Deco move isn't looking as ridiculous as you claimed it would be now is it! O ye of little faith!

If we sign Deco I'll be expecting an apology considerign the abuse you sent my way.

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day ;)

Guest Verlaine

As alex will tell you, I fully intended to offer an apology if it happened, even though your prediction was nothing more than a fluke. Doesn't stop you from being a shit poster, btw, which was my point earlier. :)

Whether or not we sign him, this is great:

Deco arrived at Portugal in 1997 at the age of 19 from an inexpressive Brazilian club called Corinthians Alagoano to play for Lisbon side SL Benfica, along with fellow Brazilian player Caju.Despite good showings in training, Benfica decided to loan the player to the Portuguese Liga de Honra side FC Alverca where he played for a season. Deco performed well and was close to renewing his contract with Benfica and join the main squad. However, the Lisbon club and the player's representative did not reach an agreement, as the then manager Graeme Souness did not believe that he would develop into a player worth keeping. Subsequently Deco was traded to Oporto side S.C. Salgueiros in the 1998-99 season, playing 12 games and scoring two goals. His performances caught the eye of FC Porto's staff, and during the winter transfer window, he was sold to Porto.

mackems.gif

Whether or not we sign him, this is great:

Deco arrived at Portugal in 1997 at the age of 19 from an inexpressive Brazilian club called Corinthians Alagoano to play for Lisbon side SL Benfica, along with fellow Brazilian player Caju.Despite good showings in training, Benfica decided to loan the player to the Portuguese Liga de Honra side FC Alverca where he played for a season. Deco performed well and was close to renewing his contract with Benfica and join the main squad. However, the Lisbon club and the player's representative did not reach an agreement, as the then manager Graeme Souness did not believe that he would develop into a player worth keeping. Subsequently Deco was traded to Oporto side S.C. Salgueiros in the 1998-99 season, playing 12 games and scoring two goals. His performances caught the eye of FC Porto's staff, and during the winter transfer window, he was sold to Porto.

mackems.gif

Brought Mark Pembridge in as his replacement IIRC.

Guest Verlaine

This Eto'o stuff is ridiculous.

When Parky says something is ridiculous, it's ridiculous. ;)

As alex will tell you, I fully intended to offer an apology if it happened, even though your prediction was nothing more than a fluke. Doesn't stop you from being a s*** poster, btw, which was my point earlier. :)

It wasn't a prediction though was it. My initial thread was about Deco being worth a bid, but you went on as though it would be impossible for us to sign him, and you were rather harsh and you hurt my feelings (sob).

Seriously though, this was always likely with Big Sam at the helm as he has always done this (Hierro and Campo particularly!) and considering that we can afford to pay this players wages it isn't that surprising. I would imgaine Deco would want to play in the premiership and as none of the top four seem to have space in their squads for him it is not so surprising.

Sam can promise to build the team around his creative play, Owen would be an attraction as he has a top striker Deco can create chances for, Newcastle does have a history of being in Europe and Deco would be aware of this and so we are not completely unknown to him.

Excellent move very happy. Don't forget Deco turns 30 this year too, which isn't that old at all.

This Eto'o stuff is ridiculous.

Yeah, I agree but the Deco stuff certainly isn't.

I wonder if this means that we have been discussing Deco with Barcelona all along and therefore what does this mean regarding Edmilson and Gudjohnsen? Was there really ever any interest I wonder?